Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 20:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%
Question SPLENDA- Packett vs Granular conversion problem for baking

Help! I'm making my b-day cake either tomorrow or Saturday (8/1 or 8/2). I'm making an almond flour lemon poundcake with cream cheese lemon frosting and strawberries (CAN'T WAIT! YUM!). I looked for granular Splenda in my store and they only have packets.

My dilemma: How may packets of Splenda = 1 cup granular? I know one packet= 2 tbsp of sugar (but the granular measures cup for cup). That is right, right? 1 cup equals 16 tablespoons. So would I use 8 packets? That just does not seem like much!

Also, has anyone substituted packets for granular like this before? Does the Splenda distribute as evenly since it's in a more concentrated form? Would I be better off going on a wild goose chase tomorrow looking for the granular? I'll be so sad if I end up with a crappy cake on my b-day!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 20:40

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

As far as I know, the stuff in the packets is exactly the same as the granular, just packaged in packets so they are more convenient to carry. So if 1 packet equals 2 tsp and there are there are 48 teaspoons in 1 cup, you'd need 24 packets to equal 1 cup.

You could measure the contents of one of the packets to be sure, or you could even visit www.splenda.com and ask them.

Karla
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 20:46

BF:

I tried looking on the Splenda website to no avail. But you are right, They may have an e-mail address for questions (or even a 1-800 number). Really, 48 tablespoons to a cup!? I did and Internet search on equivalent measures and it said 16 to a cup-- but that does not seem like enough does it? Darn, stinkin' INTERNET! Why can't everything you find on it be RIGHT!!??

Anyway, thanks for the speedy reply. It's really appreciated!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 20:51
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Sunspine,

Karla is almost right. But the packets are more concentrated than the granular, so measuring them out that way will leave you with a cake that's sickly sweet.

As you said, each packet is equivalent to 2 teaspoons of sugar, or two teaspoons of the granular, so you'll need 24 packets to make one cup. 2 teaspoons = 10 mL, and there are 240 mL in a cup, so voila - 24 packets.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 20:58
Forum Moderator

BF:

And you are right, there are 16 American tablespoons to a cup. 3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon, so 3 x 16 = 48 (teaspoons to a cup).

Of course for us Aussies, things get more confusing because our tablespoons have 4 teaspoons, so for any Aussies reading a cup has 12 tablespoons. (I'll conveniently not mention the fact that Aussie cups have 250 mL ) But we are lucky here and can get Splenda tablets, which have way fewer carbs, so for us, 48/50 tablets = 1 cup.
Is everyone thoroughly confused now?

Repeat after me:
24 little packets = 1 cup
48 tablets = 1 cup.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 21:32

BF:

I had to go over that a few times (I was having flashbacks of being totally lost in my 4th grade math class!). But I get it now! My downfall was I thought it was 2 TABLESPOONS per packet-- it's 2 TEASPOONS. Ahhhh . . . okay, so 24 packets = 1 cup. GOT IT! Thanks so much for you help Rosebud!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 06:26
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%

Just to confuse things further. When I read in the Atkins cookbook that something needs 2 packets of Splenda, I am OK to use the granulated stuff in the jars. 2 packets would equal 4 tsps of granulated? We can only get tablets and jars of it here that I know of. Hey come on, we can't expect miracles, they only started selling it here a few months ago!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 06:41
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
2 packets would equal 4 tsps of granulated?

Yep, that's it exactly!
And 4 tsp = 2 carbs. 0.5 g carb per teaspoon. 1 cup of loose Splenda has 24 carbs - can be replaced by 24 little packets. (Still 24 carbs)

Rosebud
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 15:57
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%

Thanks Rosebud