Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 11:07
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%
Exclamation Show evidence of the calorie intake-expense=growth ideaormula

I don't believe at all in this 'formula'. But maybe there is science to convince me out there?

I think the body actually starts to store fat if it notices the calorie intake is below 500 cal. under the needed amount. So while valuable muscle is used for life-support and fat is gained you are damaging your body.

Eat Fat to Burn Fat!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 13:14
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

While almost starving yourself can definitely slow down fat loss, eating too much will do the same thing in a healthy person. There are other reasons you can not lose on starvation level calories. Hyperinsulinemia (IRS) can cause this. Conversely, a severe hypoinsulinemic environment (type 1 or advanced type 2 diabetes) will always result in weight loss regardless of amount of calories consumed. However, someone in good health will never lose weight if they are eating too much.

The body did not evolve, surviving through cyclical bouts of feast and famine, by "wasting away" calories when they are in excess. Your body when functioning in good order wants to store every bit of extra you give it. Extra is the key here - if you are using ingested calories for other purposes (i.e. amino acids and fatty acids to repair torn muscles from body building, glucose burned from cardio), your body will burn its own fat instead to meet energy demands.

The reason we lose very little weight on starvation level calories has something to do with a hormone called leptin. When the body has been through a severe and sudden continuous bout of negative energy balance (starvation), it will slow down metabolic processes in response. Leptin tells the body when it is starving, and lack of leptin has an effect on metabolic efficiency - you will be more thrifty with energy. It also makes you extremely hungry.

I don't know much about the warrior diet, but if you are eating more and losing more it is because it does something to your body to make you burn more fat, or it only feels like you are eating more. The former is more likely - you probably are doing more intense weight lifting on the plan (the weight lifting causes more ingested fat and protein to be used to rebuild damaged muscle vs converted into energy), or more exercise in general, and/or it probably also is formulated in such a way as to avoid leptin depletion (meaning it is cyclical).

I really wish calories didn't matter. The fact of the matter is, when all other things are equal, I lose best when I have a consistently lower intake of calories. If I ate a full LC brownie instead of half, a whole cup of atkins milk instead of half, etc all this translates into extra energy consumed. Unless I do something to increase rate of usage (examples: muscle building exercise, cardio, general increased activity through use of stimulants like caffeine, green tea, etc) I will lose slower.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 01:15
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
However, someone in good health will never lose weight if they are eating too much.
What about a person, eating much more calories necessary (BMR), eating clean food, and on a special forces type of activity schema? I think (and will search for evidence on the net) that he will loose weight, loose fat, gain muscle. Mean and lean.

When I myself had my greatest level of activity as a conscript I was very light, lean and very strong. I also ate a lot, one time even three complete warm meals in the evening, besides normal breakfast and lunch.
Quote:
I don't know much about the warrior diet, but if you are eating more and losing more it is because it does something to your body to make you burn more fat, or it only feels like you are eating more.
I think you'r right here. Overeating at night stimulates the metabolism to great heights. And it makes you feel its feast every night. Which it is. The next day you're glad not to have to eat until 6 pm again!
Quote:
I really wish calories didn't matter
They don't for me, that's why I don't trust the simple formula on intake = metabolism + fat storage.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 17:45
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher16
What about a person, eating much more calories necessary (BMR), eating clean food, and on a special forces type of activity schema? I think (and will search for evidence on the net) that he will loose weight, loose fat, gain muscle. Mean and lean.

You are not eating more calories than necessary due to your high activity level. To factor in the amount of calories you need to maintain your weight it would be a combination of your resting metabolic weight + factoring in how active you are.

If you do more exercise and exert more energy, you are obviously going to lose more.

I read somewhere once that navy seals eat something like 10k calories a day and still lose weight during training. Chances are if they ate much less than that they wouldnt be able to have enough energy to complete through the training and faint.