Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 10:08

Plan: considering SPP
Stats: 145//130 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 36%
Question LC and Pregnancy?

I see all the benefits of low carbing. But I still struggle with the fact that it is not encouraged for pregnant or nursing mothers. Doesn't that indicate a flaw in this lifestyle? I'm concerned about how to proceed with future pregnancies.

Any views out there?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 11:21
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/249.6/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

It is possible to lower carb during pregnancy, I tried to do it. Induction levels are not recommended because of ketosis having unknown effects (how did Eskimos ever survive?).

There is nothing wrong with not drinking sugared soda, or aspertame soda, giving up processed grains and refined sugar while you are pregnant or nursing.

You will need adequate calories and fats proteins and carbohydrates from natural sources and water.

Low carb can be a lifestyle, but people should not be losing weight for the rest of their lives, eventually, they will reach a healthy weight and maintain it.

When you lose fat, toxins stored in your fat are also released and could potentially be harmful. However, lots of women lose weight the first trimester or so (morning sickness) and it's perfectly normal.

In the first edition of Atkins (1972) he said he would recommend his program for overweight pregnant women. He has since changed his mind.

I tried to do maintenance during my pregnancy. Sugar addiction is very strong and lured me back for some unnecessary weight gain. My baby is 9 months old now.

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 13:08

Plan: The Zone-as much as I can
Stats: 231/165/175 Female 5ft9in
BF:?,33+/24.2/22
Progress: 118%

As much as I can, I have avoided sugar, pasta, bread, etc. throughout my pregnancy. I have broke down a few times, given in to some of my cravings in moderation, and it has not been a big deal for me. I have gained 20lbs during this pregnancy and my ultrasound results say she is a week larger than my calendar date( At 28 weeks, she measured at 29 weeks and 1 day). In my last two pregnancies I gained 32lbs. and 36lbs. In my first pregnancy, I was very consious of everything I ate (low-fat), and in my second, I gave in to all of my terrible cravings. Everything is going great and we only have three weeks to go.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 11:25
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 125/115/112 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I've been on maintenance level throughout this pregnancy (I'm currently 23 weeks)... I was eating strictly low carb when I became pregnant and my doc thought it was a great idea to continue with my eating habits...

I don't eat very many of the processed low carb foods... I try to steer clear of artificial sweeteners, but do allow a small amount of splenda each day...

I don't eat protein bars or use protein supplements and I do allow myself as much fiber filled fruit as I want... It's one of my only indulgences...

I don't really think that it's this WOE's downfall, but from what I've seen, most preggo women do not want to continue restricting their carb intake... Some find meat and proteins absolutely disgusting during pregnancy... This could be why we don't hear about many pregnant women following a low carb lifestyle...

But I do agree, limiting carbs and sugar during pregnancy can only be a good thing... Although I've spoken to some people who think carbs are an absolute necessity in order to nourish a growing fetus... These people obviously haven't done their reading...