Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 07:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 369/303/220 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default hoping not to sink myself..

Well I strayed away again, not because I really wanted to, but around the holidays the money got so tight I coudln't afford to eat the LC way. Between the vitiams and all the extra cash on meats, it adds up. It sounds silly, but pasta is cheap, real cheap, and reg bread and peanutbutter is extremely cheap and fast. It was the differnce between a $90 groceries and $150 groceries, the vitiamins add quite a chunk to that number alone each month.

My wife was let go of her job a week before Thanksgiving without warning, and half the money was gone, bam. We squeeked by, and I had to cut some corners, this was one of them. To do the diet right and to stick with it, I need variety and variety is expensive.

But a funy thing is happening, products are going our direction, I no longer have to go to those very expensive specialty stores where bread is $6 a loaf, my local market now has lower carb bread (9 Carbs) for a couple of bucks, has Low carb icecream, woot, and a whole side isle of atkins stuff, including all his bards, shakes, bake mixes and everything else a slimming body needs.

My wife is back to work with a new job, and it even pays better hehe, holidays are behind us. I was sitting there watching TV the other day, and what comes on but a subways comercial talking about atkins. I thought to myself, yea that sounds like a great idea, time to start treating myself again to a healthy diet, not this cheap crap. So I'm back but things are changed a bit to be honest..

I find my attitude toward the diet though is changing. I still want to slim down, and I will be eating in such a way to do this. But I am done with the scale game, If I never step on a scale again it will be too soon. I find myself only using my clothes as my baromiter, is it tight, or has it loosened up to tell how I am doing.

I have also loosened up on how critical I am counting my carbs, I used to try to stay under 10, but I am kind of thinking differnt. I am not trying to do this only to power loose, but to find a lifestyle so I am going comfortably slow. LIke one of my new rules is only two slices of Low carb bread a day (18 carbs), figured thats the most I should have, one sandwich oposed to none like before. Also allow myself one icecream treat a day if I preffer, (5 carbs) so that alone is 23 carbs. So that kills my old rules.

The other thing I am doing a bit differnt is veggies, I used to measure how may I ate so thier carb count didn't sink me. I still limit myself to the low carb ones, broc and coliflower, no potatoes or corn but I don't worry about two spears, I just take some.

As in anything in life has a cost, this may bar some of my weight loss. But I am trying to shake that "I just need to get through this, and I will do well" kind of weight loss mentality. I want to find a spot where I eat like this all the time, I don't want to make a big sacrafice anymore, I want to be healthy and smart without extremes, does that make sense. And if my results seem to lag, I will adjust as I go.

I notice already that because of the high fat intake, my hunger has just nose dived and to be honest I am talking advantage of this. I am only eating when I'm hungry, and cutting my nightly consumtions way down, and bringing my morning meals up. I am not usually hungry for supper, after eating lunch at noon, oddly. So i haven't been. and around eight I get really hungry and I sit down and have something small and fatty but 0 carbs,(like pork or steak) and bingo im good.

I suppose I should go back to induction, but just don't have the motavation for that, and that would actually stop me from going back to LC. But If I can just slip back to my old LC eating habbits, I hope my body just kind of goes back to what I was doing before, just slower.

hmmm didn't realize this would be such a long post hehe

Last edited by Just Dave : Sat, Jan-24-04 at 07:35.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 08:03

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Congratulations! You just graduated.

What you describe is exactly where we want to be. In control, using good judgement, living life. Glad to see things are going well!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 08:21
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

Good for you Dave, I agree with Dianne, a very mature approach to how you can approach life in a way that benefits you forever.

Good luck as you progress!!

Nice to hear your wife is back on her feet better than ever, too! Job loss is a very traumatic time for anyone!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 09:53

Stats: 277.5/277.5/199 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I agree, too! If you are comfortable with your rate of loss, and you are losing, it's PERFECT! The key is not to eat foods that will cause a sharp rise in your blood sugar and start THAT whole cycle again. Doesn't sound like your'e doing that at all.

Great job!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 10:10

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Welcome Home!

I agree that your approach could be a very healthy one. There is nothing wrong with accepting a lower rate of weight loss if it is a WOL you can live with and not DIET. You can experiment and find out what your maximum level of carbs is while still maintaining a slow loss.

I am so glad that your wife found another position. These last couple of years have been very rough on a lot of people and I know many friends who have been laid off. Happily, many seem back to work and doing fine. It is just so hard to get through when it happens.

Welcome back!
Orchid
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 11:46
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins Like
Stats: 266.5/231/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:50.06%/42.96%/25%
Progress: 33%

Congrats Just Dave - you are where I am working toward being.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 13:47

Plan: Atkins/induction
Stats: 329/293.5/200 Female 5 feet 2.5inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

Again a welcome back to you. If we are going to live with it we have to do it in a way that allows for us to be human. I think too that your aproach is good.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 15:04
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

You sound happy, content and patient to me Dave. And you are losing weight and getting healthier. I am happy for you and wish you continued success.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 17:36

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Congrats Dave! I am glad you have thought about this WOE and have made some decisions that you can live with for the long term. I am doing exactly the same kinds of things now too. I'm trying to find a mind set that I can live with forever and am working to find percentages of foods that will keep me losing and feeling great. I have added in more carbs and am feeling great. Now we'll just see how the weight loss goes...lol. Good luck to you. Wish you lots of success!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 19:47

Stats: 284/270/130 Female 5 ft. 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Congrats, Dave, on your wisdom & approach. I agree with you that this WOE is expensive-- I have been struggling with that as well.

(I loved that you used the term "woot," hehe. Are you a gamer?)

~~Amaara