Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 12:29
Registered Member

Plan: LC
Stats: 185/183.4/115 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 2%
Default Peanut Butter?

I've been eating 1 tbsp of peanut butter for dessert. It's only about 3g of carbs. Why isn't peanut butter ok on induction? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 12:42

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 267/243/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 39%

If I was to guess, I think peanut butter isn't ok on induction because it can cause cravings or maybe it's hard to stick to a small serving? I can't remember if the book said why.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 13:19

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

On Atkins nuts are not introduced till the 3rd level/rung of the second phase of Atkins (OWL) and even then in one ounce servings to start with.

Actually as peanuts are a legume I didnt introduce them till I reached the legumes rung.

BTW when you do decide to eat peanut butter make sure yours has no added sugar or transfats! some people make their own nut butters by wizzing them in a processor to be sure of no nasty additives.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 13:27
Registered Member

BF:

I have organic peanut butter and it's just peanuts. No other ingredients. I found that it's a good alternative to having a real dessert(like candy bars & cakes). It sort of suppresses that urge for sweets. I guess as long as I continue to lose weight I won't worry about eating it. Thanks for the replies.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 18:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/137/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%

I love peanut butter, the crunchy kind with just peanuts and salt -- I can't wait until I can add it back in. Before started Atkins, I would do the same thing with a spoonful -- sometime in between dinner and bed -- not so much for dessert, but more as a little snack. Since Atkins, I've been doing the same with cream cheese -- which, btw, if you manage to find without any added stabilizers or gums is so much better! Much creamier and richer -- so that's what I've been using as my pre-bed spoon snack.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 04:01

Stats: 189.5/146/140 Female 5ft 3inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

I have had a tsp. of peanut butter on induction, it affects different people in different ways, if it doesnt hurt your weight-loss then dont worry about it. If you stop losing, then try to cut it out for a few days and see if you start losing again.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 07:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/198.6/170 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

My problem would be knowing when to stop. Anything in moderation should be ok. But me? I could eat an entire jar of Skippy creamy peanut butter in one sitting, and never bat an eye. So for me, no on the peanut butter. Goes back to what got me here in the first place: not eating because I was hungry, but using food as some kind of crutch, something that always loves me unconditionally, If you have the will power to only eat one spoon full a day, then I say go for it!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-07, 04:26
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 155/150.2/126 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default I have eaten it too!

I have eaten organic peanut butter just a spoonful and it helped so far I have lost on induction so far I will cut it if I stop!

#9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-07, 07:44
Registered Member

Stats: 273/244/210 Male 6'3.5"
BF:
Progress: 46%

why does it matter what you eat on Induction if you stick to 20 g of carbs each day? Does it really matter what those carbs are made of? that's what I want to know
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-07, 08:19

BF:

Have you read DANDR? Dr Atkins goes into this in detail.Here is one small extract
Quote:
What causes a life-threatening elevation of insulin levels?
The primary cause is eating too much of the wrong kind of carbohydrates. To a lesser degree eating excessive amounts of protein can affect blood-sugar levels; however, when protein is used for its primary function of building muscle mass, insulin is not produced. And, most significantly, insulin is not required to metabolize either our stored fat or the fat in the food we eat.
Now that you know how to do Atkins, you know it bypasses the problem of excessive insulin by switching the body to a primarily fat-burning metabolism. All the millions of early-stage diabetics who are eating meals high in carbs and taking medications that may stimulate insulin production are quite innocently on a path to self-destruction. They may think that their present diet will protect them, but if those people are limiting their carbs by limiting their calorie intake, it is likely that after a while they will become bored or frustrated by their restrictive diet. Then they are likely to revert to consuming too much of the wrong kind of carbohydrate, putting them back on the high-insulin pathway to trouble. But individuals who are doing Atkins control their carbohydrate intake and eat foods with so little glycemic impact that they can normalize their blood sugar and become latent diabetics. (This term applies to those people with the disease who are able keep it under complete control.)
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-07, 09:08
Registered Member

BF:

this doesn't really answer my question though. If we are talking about 20 carbs per day, how can that be too much of any carb? and I was wondering why someone could have have 5 carbs worth of PB or a low carb ice cream bar on Induction as long as you didn't eat more than 20 carbs per day. thanks a bunch
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-07, 10:18

BF:

Because Dr Atkins says so (LOL)

the first 14 days of Induction doesn't include peanuts (legumes rung) or icecream (dairy rung of OWL). So if you want to follow Atkins by the instructions in the book you should wait till you reach the relevant rungs of OWL before reintroducing them.

Or if you prefer you could eat anything you want to and see what happens (shrug)
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-07, 11:58
Registered Member

BF:

gee, thanks for the advice. Sorry I asked...
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-07, 14:33
Registered Member

BF:

Yeah, I don't get it either. I mean the ice cream I can understand because I believe it has sugar alcohols in it(which seems to stall some people).

The peanut butter I don't get though. As long as you keep losing with whatever your eating I wouldn't worry about it.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-07, 15:04

BF:

Sorry I upset you, jagster
I just cant see the point of choosing a plan then trying to eat stuff not on the list from the start.
I think some of the lowcarb plans other than Atkins allow peanuts from the start, so they might suit you better if you find it too restrictive.