Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-07, 11:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%
Default The dread MS-giving up on LC!

Its come to this, there is no way Im going to be able to stay LC at least during the first trimester without some carbs on my tummy. I just cant function! I can keep crackers and the like out of my house all day long, but that just means I wont have something to ward off the nausea when it hits. Ginger and peppermint dont help like they should....I actually broke down this mornign and bought a -.... a.... (embarrassed to confess!) A BAGEL!!

*sigh* its just no use. ANyone do this first tri and then shift back over to LC when the MS subsides?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-07, 12:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I've read that extra B-6 helps prevent nausea- I don't know if it would reduce nausea enough to help you eat LC or not, but it certainly can't hurt!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-07, 17:05
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:

Funny thing for me is that I was fairly LC first trimester and then close to second my appetite/cravings just took a turn for the worse. I didn't have nausea but I just wanted carbs and couldn't stand the sight of some protein. (I'd loved and eaten eggs every morning for breakfast for like...ever...and suddenly I couldn't stand them!) So that was quite the odd shift for me. I say do what works for you body. Do try alternate nausea treatments when you can, but if something carb-like helps, then do it. One thing I've used to help with my carb/comfort food cravings is Dreamfields pasta. I love the taste and can have mac 'n cheese when I want it, but without the same killer effects as regular pasta. There may be some other options for you like that as well. Hang in there and don't worry! It'll work out.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-07, 19:24

Stats: 175/133/120 Female 60 in
BF:52.4/35/22
Progress: 76%

Low carb should help your nausea, not make it worse. Nausea is supposed to be due to blood sugar crashes. Maybe you could switch over to south beach and keep some whole grain crackers by your bedside.

Here's info about an old MS drug that was yanked off the market way back in the 80's because of law suits. It is actually quite safe, the incidence of birth defects in mothers using it was no greater than in the general population.

Quote:
You may also have heard of Bendectin, which combines an antihistamine called doxylamine with vitamin B6. This drug was once widely used in the United States to treat morning sickness, but controversy over its safety during pregnancy — despite any scientific evidence that it was harmful — forced the manufacturer to pull it from the market. (These days, it's available only in Canada under the name Dicletin.)

The FDA has now classified the combination of ingredients in Bendectin as "safe and effective for nausea and vomiting of pregnancy," and you can buy both ingredients separately over the counter. Doxylamine is available as a sleeping pill under the brand name Unisom Nighttime Sleep-Aid. (Be sure not to get Maximum Strength Unisom SleepGels — that's a different product.) And you can find vitamin B6 in the vitamin section.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-07, 05:31
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Low carb didn't help MY nausea, I could barely stomach meat my first trimester of the last 2 pregnancies--thank goodness for milk and protein powder.

I ate whatever I could get down during the first trimester MS. During the 2nd and 3rd, I felt better, so made better food choices.

The most important thing you can do right now is keep yourself going. If that means more carbs, so be it! Just try to make smarter selections, keeping the crap food to a minimum.

Good luck to you!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-07, 20:08

Plan: Atkins OWL or abouts...
Stats: 195/188/165 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 23%

Don't beat your self up, I struggled with the EXACT same thing. I can't believe I"m saying this, but I knew that if i couldn't eat low carb that I should start keeping track of the calories I was consuming. And actually making sure I was eating enough.

I actually didn't manage to really gain anything the first trimester cause I could stomach almost anything. ALL the normal stuff I like, beef, ranch, spicy foods, I COULD NOT do.

All i want is BLAND BLAND bland food. I'm almost 13 wks and I'm getting my appetite back somewhat. I'm still sticking with Ezekial bread (12 carbs per slice) and nothing but whole grain, Just sprouted no actual flour. And if I tend to have to much I don't beat myself up too badly. fruits, and I actually struggle to get my veggies in. I have to say I'm following more of a South Beach approach than actual atkins.

Don't beat your self up whatever you do. Just do what you can and then if you can go back to low carb after the MS go ahead.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-07, 12:42
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson65
Don't beat your self up whatever you do. Just do what you can and then if you can go back to low carb after the MS go ahead.

Exactly! I've spent way too much time during this pregnancy feeling bad about stuff I've done or things I've consumed. I'm done with that. I'm enjoying myself, trying to put as many healthy things in my body as I can, and bascially just surviving (I, too, haven't had the luxury of resting and enjoying this experience - I'm so busy I'd forget I was pregnant if not for a really active baby. LOL) Hang in there!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-07, 13:17

Plan: Atkins OWL or abouts...
Stats: 195/188/165 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 23%

ps...sorry for the horrible typos in my post. I'm laying on my belly trying to write on this lap top and doing a horrible job!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 02:52

Stats: 214/176/135 Female 5ft.7"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Hope you feel better soon! I also had this problem, and was on and off LC during pregnancy. It sucks!!! I eventually just stayed off until I had the baby...but I put on 20lbs.... Still, it could have been worse. And, once the baby comes, you can always get back to stricter LC. Good luck!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 17:39
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

I had really bad MS, too. Just do the best you can until you feel better.

I threw up nearly every day for all the 3 pregnancies...for about 8 months each.

That said, by the time my 3rd came around I had realized that those dense carbs really didn't help the nausea or the vomiting (nor did the b6 or the ginger or any other so-called natural methods). And in fact the carbs made it worse. So by the 3rd one I would just go ahead and eat bland protein like chicken breast. But nothing really helps...so just ride it out and when you feel better you can make better choices.

You and your baby will be just fine, either way. Mine were!