Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 09:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%
Default Mixing supplements....

I'm curious about repurcussions (if any) from mixing so many supplements. The reason I ask is...there are a few supplements I would really like to try, but I don't know if they "mix" well.

For example...if one is taking AFWife's stress reducing stomach fat losing pill...would there be any reason one could not take the CLA? This is just an example...how many supplements are too many?

Also...if you are taking something that has a mixture of supplements and then you take something else that has a mixture of supplements, can one actually overdose on that particular vitamin or nutrient?

This is particularly for you nurses or doctors (do we have any doctors posting here?) out there

Thanks,
L
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 09:54

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:
Progress: 0%

What is CLA? I'm kinda new to all the supplements.

I'm taking Gloucosimine with MSM and Condrioton to ease up the joint/muscle pain.
I'm also taking the One A Day multivitamin for Low Carb diets, but I've often thought about taking other supplements as well. Not sure what all is recommended.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 12:17

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Yes, you can, and no, you probably won't

But when you're taking things that have names and not letters, you have to do your own research. Get a good book--Dr. A's Vitanutrient Solution is one place to start--and see. In general, the fat soluble vitamins are more toxic, because they are stored not excreted. But I have NO familiarity with the fat-burners, and some of the older mixtures caused problems.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 12:31

Stats: 234/160.8/150 Female 173
BF:37%/27%/23%
Progress: 87%

I totally understand your question Whyspers!
I was worried too, so I actually went to my pharmacy and spoke to the pharmacist NOT the clerk and detailed all the info for him.

Apparently, some of my supplements do overlap, but they are vit C and some others that are considered water soluble and the excess is excreted. BUT there are some that you can take to much of and those need to be checked.

Also, I was advised that you should not take vitimins and minerals together as the minerals prevent the asorbtion of the vitamins. So I take all the vitamins with the oils at breakfast, and the minerals and chromimun, hair and nails, L-Carnitine, Qu10, etc through out the day with a space of at least one hour in between.
And vitimins in the morning or you will be kept awake with energy at night.

The only thing I was told was dangerous it mixing real natural plant herbs. This needs to be checked by a professional and in conjunction with any REAL medications you may take. I do not take any REAL medicine, but my supplements are now at 11 different things and a total of 18 pills a day!!

My supplements (taken everyday) that are considered an arsenal of weponry is as follows:
Multi-vitamin
Extra Vitamin C
Extra Magnesuim + B complex
Extra Calcium
Table spoon of Flaxseed oil (toliet and up my fat)
Fiber sachet (mainly psylum husks for the toliet)
Chromium
L-Carnitine
Oil of Oregano
Omega 3 oil capsules (Salmon Fish oils for cholesteral)
And recently added a hair and nail supplement

and hoping to add Relacore.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 12:39

Plan: NHE
Stats: 135/133/140 Female 64"
BF:15%
Progress: -40%

to be honest, i never found CLA to be helpful.

HeMe - that's a really good list.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 12:54

Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%

Wow HeMe, I thought I was doing well taking a multi v, L-Carnitine, Coconut Oil and Flaxseed oil, but you got us all beat. How do you remember to take all of that? And have you had some successful weight loss because of it?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 13:01

Plan: NHE
Stats: 135/133/140 Female 64"
BF:15%
Progress: -40%

all i ever take is B5, salmon oil, multi w/ extra B complex, and ALA for PWO.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 14:17

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Film cannisters

I don't want to think about how many piles are in the pile--the detox in the morning, multi, more C, calcium, flax oil, zinc, manganese, E, then more detox at night, glucosamine, plus whatever prescriptions are current.

I use film cannisters--I have about 27, numbered 1, 2, and black. I lay them out on the counter and count out a week's worth of pills, for breakfast lunch and dinner, then toss the lot in a bucket. Each morning, I take out one of each cannister and that's it for the day.

I'll usually count out a week's worth while I'm on the phone--it only takes 10 minutes or so.