Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-05, 13:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/210/150 Female 5 ft 9
BF:41%/33%
Progress: 0%
Default Please tell me about GI

Hi everyone. I have been on Atkins now for 2 weeks and have done really well. My husband needs to lose about 30 pounds and decided about a week ago to try it with me. The problem is, here about a week or 10 days into induction, he is very weak, he has no energy (I've been told and have read that he is going through a "sugar withdrawal" and that it will pass. For the last couple days or so he has had a couple of dizzy spells. He said he went to climb a flight of stairs yesterday and said he was completely give out. That's not like him.
I am wondering, while he definetly needs to lower his carbs considerably (he was a sugar holic), maybe he needs another type of low carb diet other than atkins. He simply will NOT eat veggies other than corn, peas, green beans, potatoes, and bean (pinto, ranch style), so now on induction, he eats grean beans only, that, and his meats, eggs, cheeses, and salad greens. I know he is so sick of green beans.
His dad is diabetic. My husband has never had problems with high blood sugar, but he has had prob with his sugar going too low.
I would like to know more about the GI diet, this may be the one for him.
Thanks
Connie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-05, 14:06
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default GI diet

Is this a good diet for people with diabetes?

The key to controlling diabetes is to control blood sugar levels. It is the raising of blood sugar levels and diabetics’ inability to produce sufficient insulin to remove the sugar from the bloodstream that creates the medical condition called hyperglycemia which if left uncontrolled can lead to death. The glycemic index was originally developed by Dr David Jenkins to address the issue of what carbohydrates could diabetics eat that would minimize hyperglycemia (high blood sugar levels). This is why diabetics find The G.I. Diet so effective in the management of their disease. Many have been able to reduce their medications and in some cases even eliminate them. The Canadian Diabetes Association in their house magazine "Dialogue" recommended The G.I. Diet as the best choice for diabetics amongst the leading popular diets. So the whole purpose of the glycemic index is to identify foods that break down more slowly and maintain a steady delivery of sugar into the bloodstream rather than producing a sugar spike associated with high glycemic index foods. The G.I. Diet is built upon low GI foods and thus has a stabilizing impact upon the blood sugar levels of type two diabetic patiets

There is a GI support group here...if you wanna take a peek.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-05, 14:13
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%

http://www.gidiet.com/en-us/faq.php
Here is a link to Rick Gallop's website....scroll down to q and a's
Hope you find info you need. I love the GI diet!