Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 12:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/192.5/180 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%
Question Are your eyes still bigger than your stomach?

I still can't break myself of the habit of taking too much food. I just had some lunch. It was that spinach sausage egg bake thing that I got from here. It's so yummy. Nobody in my house likes it but me.

I put a big serving on a plate and only ate half of it. I guess I should be happy that I just don't stuff it in my face and over do it. How do you get yourself used to taking "human" portions? Does it come with time?

Portion control has always been an issue with me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 13:10
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Well, when at home you could always eat it out of the pan.....

I've learned to take small amounts of something, but it took a while to get used to having a smaller appetite. You'll get there eventually. Worse things could happen.

Clearly you're doing something right, since you are 42% of the way to your goal.

Kay
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 13:19
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Janey, I have the same problem. Not really because I want to eat a lot, but more like my stomach has shrunk and it takes much less to fill me up.

The other night DH and I went to a steakhouse for his birthday. I had half a cup of chili and some steamed brocolli, then a few bites of steak and I was stuffed! Pre low-carb, I would have downed the whole 14-ouncer plus an order of fries, and still been hungry. I frequently find myself taking the same size portions I've always taken, but feeling full before I've finished them.

Now my problem is to get rid of the idea that I have to have something sweet to finish off a meal, even if it's just one SF Reeses...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 13:35

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

I have not learned my lesson either. Most days for lunch I go to a local burrito place and get a side of chicken with a side of guacamole (so good!). 1 side never LOOKS like enough so I always get 2. Sure enough, 30 mins later EVERY DAY I'm walking around the office going "anyone want a side of grilled chicken?" You would think after weeks of ordering this I would have caught on that I can't eat that much! Nope.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 13:41

Stats: 188/156.5/150 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Interestingly, since I still serve the rest of my family a side dish of rice, potato or pasta, my plate always looks like so mucy LESS than what I used to eat! I continually marvel at how less food leaves me full up!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 13:55

Stats: 264/246/175 Female 65"
BF:??/47%/35%
Progress: 20%

I find I'm never hungry and don't eat nearly the amount I did before.....while I'm just beginning my fourth week on Atkins. But I also find that my caloric count is usually low and I average less than 1500 calories; is that a problem? I read that we should be having 10 -12x our body weight!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 17:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

not really for me, because i actually eat very few "proper meals" unless i'm at a restaurant (and then no, i never finish anything). i tend to snack throughout the day, and when i do serve myself a portion of something, i look at it pretty realistically. if whatever it is looks like about a cup, that's what i get - i know i won't eat any more than that.

grazing every few hours is the only way i can get in all i'm supposed to eat - a big meal just devestates me and i don't want to eat for the rest of the day!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 18:03

Stats: 225/192.5/180 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I feel so much better now. Thanx for the input everybody. Tonight at dinner I forgot to make a side of veggies. DH came home late and the kids were eating something different. We had fish. Since I didn't eat much during the day, I had LOTS of salmon. It was so good. But now I'm feeling that old stuffed belly feeling. I don't like it. Why didn't I just push the plate away and save some for lunch? Ugh. Old habits die hard I guess.

Tomorrow I'll try again with the portion control. I'll get it someday.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 01:40

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Janey, don't feel too badly! I am and always will be a picker--as in finish my meal, then have to pick one or two bites of something. Problem is, I enjoy picking entirely too much! I usually just try to take less on my plate so I still have picking room, LOL. Some meals that's getting harder to do--going to have to take smaller amounts yet!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 08:42
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I just measure everything.

I find that its usually more than enough. Meat and chicken I can tell 3oz just by looking now I have been doing it for so long lol.

I have difficulty finishing everything on the plate but I try and force myself to.

Then again huge portions of real food were never my problem it was the massive amounts of sugar I was inhaling.