Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 01:49

Plan: No idea
Stats: 145/-/125 Female 165
BF:
Progress: 125%
Default LC and hair loss

I know there are many threads about hair loss and LC, just wondered how many of us (percentage) of women who suffered from this, and how it was treated.

I have been LCing / VLCing and recently ZCing for about 5 years, my hair always starts to fall out whenever I am 3/4 months of doing induction level carbs or lower. If anyone else suffer from this too, do you also suffer from other problems e.g. hormonal imbalances? Did you see a Dr? if so what was the outcome?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 01:56
Registered Member

Plan: M&E
Stats: 231/231/167 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I would like to know this too, I just started and I don't really want my hair to come out. If someone has a link to a thread that would be great too. My friend did Lindora and they put her on all sorts of supplements and she still lost half her hair.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 06:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

I agree. I lose more hair when I eat induction levels. I also lose hair when under severe stress. I pull wads out of the shower drain! I started taking Biotin a few weeks ago and am not losing near as much. I don't know if it's the suppliment or if it's because my stress has gone down. Please post if anyone else has suggestions.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 07:39

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

This was partly the reason I went off lc back in 2000 when I had such great success. Now I have 70 pounds to lose, all over again. I do believe it has to do with rapid loss. I also think it will grow back on its own, given time for your hormones to restabilize. I have been told your hormones reside in your fat cells, so they have to 'grow back' into the supply of fat cells you still have. We'll never completely be free of fat cells.
I was afraid to ask my doctor since lc has such a shaky rep in medical circles. I shouldn't have felt that way since my particular doctor gave me no grief at all, but I was afraid that that would change if I had any 'negative' effects.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 07:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...ss-and-kimkins/

Hair loss isn't related to low carb diets, per se, just weight loss.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 08:43

Plan: No idea
Stats: 145/-/125 Female 165
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...ss-and-kimkins/

Hair loss isn't related to low carb diets, per se, just weight loss.

I don't buy that hair loss is related to weight loss, because when I lost weight on low calorie diets I didn't lose hair.

I believe its caused by some kind of deficiency, so everyone must ensure they are having enough of all essential nutrients.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 09:35

Plan: Atkins/M&E/IF?
Stats: 194/163.2/150 Female 69"
BF:37.2%/28.9%/21%
Progress: 70%

Just fyi, biotin needs to be taken with chelated zinc to be effectively absorbed. Other supplements that help with hair are silica (horsetail fern), fish oil, and calcium/magnesium.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 10:10

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hair growth, resting, and shedding are three distinct cycles in all hair follicles. It can be deceptive, because increased hair loss today may reflect your normal, healthy cycle, or it may reflect a dietary or other stress you went through months earlier. While it is a good idea to pay attention to changes in your hair, it isn't useful to assume that those changes give you information regarding your current state of health--hair loss is a "lagging indicator," as they say.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 13:03

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

I know one thing...
I DON'T lose much hair at all when I'm pregnant.
To me, that means it is a hormonal thing.
I think with LC (or fat loss) or any other "change" in our hormones, hair loss rate will change.
I have not noticed a difference much in my hair loss rate pre and during LC, though. I just think I lose a heck of a lot of hair every day. (That's why it was so clearly different when I was pregnant!)
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 13:56

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I have never lost hair doing LC or VLC. I also have not lost any hair since adding IF. I do believe that it is a nutrient that is neglected, most likely biotin, but some people are also hesitant with keeping their fats on the high side, even if they are doing low carb. I eat very well. I eat nutrient dense foods ( vegetables and meats ). As a matter of fact, my hair grows like a weed and has fewer gray hairs...seriously.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 13:59

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/210/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%

For me, the more B complex vitamins I take, the more new hair I grow - it's been this way for decades.

Meg
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 14:35

Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

Wow. I am glad that I am taking my Biotin with the Zinc, and started taking a complex B. Maybe that's why my hair hasn't been falling out like it was a week and a half ago. Thanks all for this great info! I am glad I stumbled into this thread!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 19:41
Registered Member

Stats: 318/212/155 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

Im the opposite. My hair and nails are beautiful. My hair even gets curlier when Im low carbing.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 19:53

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

My hair and nails grow better on LC. I always figured it was because of the increased protein. *shrugs* I really don't know what causes it though.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 20:53

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I had some hair loss & fading colour on low-cal high-carb diets when I was in my 30's & 40's, but on LC, vLC and high-fat LC my hair grows twice as fast and is very thick and maintains its natural colour - even at age 54. But I do eat plenty of fat, biotin, zinc, magnesium, calcium & B-vitamins.