Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 06:55
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Oops - Intro

Hi, I've been posting a little in other sub-forums but read that I should do an intro here too.

I am a stay at home dad because of an injury. I did atkins for a while and lost 75# then got back hooked on carbs for a few years and gained back 30#. I'm trying to do it again, warming up to start tomorrow at a full induction. I've been cutting the carbs for all week, hoping it would make less of a transition problem.

Tomorrow morning is the big day. I've got the fridge cleaned out, some boiled eggs, lots of quick to cook beef and chicken ready, and extra salad prepared.

Since I have family members who are not low-carb I want to have low/no-carb foods ready so I won't be tempted by the PB+J sitting right next to the tuna-salad in the fridge.

I looked into this group because I was angry at my mini-neighbor who came up to me bragging about the 3.5 lbs she lost.... I pee 3.5 lbs!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 09:59

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Welcome, Baerdric. I have a weakness for pb&j too.

I notice in your journal you say you have a teenaged boy. Horrible how the rugrats bring forbidden foods into the house, isn't it?

I have a 16 year old son living at home. Luckily he's a very light (and picky) eater, and the sweets he likes aren't the sort that tempt me.

My son is adopted, so hopefully he doesn't share my anticarb metabolism. (Based on photos I've seen, bio mom's family have significant weight problems, bio dad's family are all very lean.) Right now he's thin as a rail, but so was I at 16.

One thing I wonder is how much we as parents should (or can) do to steer our teens and young adult children away from the highly refined and easily digestible carbs which have wreaked such havoc in our own lives? I wish I'd made different eating decisions as a teen and young adult. But I doubt if I would have believed someone if they'd told me as a teen that I would eventually weight 250 pounds.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 10:51

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Welcome! Good luck - I know that you can do this.

I have a soon-to-be teenaged son and a nine-year-old stepson - so I know about having crap in the house.

In response to what Costello was saing - my 11 y.o can eat whatever he wants with impunity - he inherited his dad's body type - thank goodness. That boy powers down food in awesome amounts. We do limit his sugar and refined carbs as much as humanly possible - especially HFCS.

My nine y.o. is carb intolerant. When he is with us, we feed him low glycemic index foods only, as well as gluten-free and dairy free, because I see the impact that carbs have on him. They affect his quality of life. Unforuntately, his mom doesn't feed him the same way when he is with her - he gets to eat as much sugar/white flour/crap as he wants, and it is awful - he is listless and lacking in energy when he is with her and when we get him from her until he detoxes from the sugars.

Anyway - for a while it was tough to resist all of the junk that the 11 y.o. had in the house, but after a while I just sort of developed carb blindness and went on my merry way. Now I don't even see them. The other thing that helped was reading Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. Now I know that carbs are poison to me, and I doubt I will ever have them as a regular part of my diet again.

Glad to have you with us, Baerdric - this is a great source of knowledge and support!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 19:18
Registered Member

BF:

Yeah, I worry about my son. The last thing I want is to pass on the carb habit. I can't control what genes he has, but I can help him build better habits.

On the other hand, I don't want to deny him experiences or the calories/nutrition he needs to grow in our society. Hard to find a path in the jungle of information, things which used to be good for you are now bad, and who would have thought I would be encouraging him to eat meat?!?!

We usually eat good food, very little junk, so I don't worry too much. But he does seem to be overly enamoured of the pasta and bread items...

He's skinny like I was, but then I was skinny like I was once too...
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-08, 07:52
Kerry

Plan: WW/Atkins
Stats: 368/266.5/199 Female 5'1
BF:M.O./O/chunky
Progress: 60%

Welcome and good luck...I LOL at the 3.5 pound pee LOL
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-08, 08:03
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishShrty
Welcome and good luck...I LOL at the 3.5 pound pee LOL
Well it's true! Almost....8-D

Say! Look at you - losing over 100lbs! That's fantastic.

Last edited by Baerdric : Sat, Apr-05-08 at 21:52.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-08, 08:18
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I have a soon-to-be teenaged son and a nine-year-old stepson
I guess I will have to become accustomed to accomodating different eating requirements. I do all the cooking, but that doesn't mean I like it. I try to do things quick and easy, and get grumpy when things don't go my way in the kitchen.

I seem to recall it was different when I was loosing weight and feeling better, maybe my attitude will sparkle up some as the T2 fog clears.