Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-06, 13:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/199.2/155 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Yummy Olives!

Well, here I am in the home stretch of induction. I have to admit that I have nto kept it as "clean" as I could have, yet I still lost weight. I have had very little problem with appetitie: basically, I eat when I am hungry and stop if I am full, and if I am not hungry, I don't eat. There were a couple of times ther where it got really dicey, and I munched-out on cashew nuts just to avoid driving to the store and buying cookie dough and eating it out of the tube!

Throughout the week, I've discovered something about myself...I really, really, REALLY love olives! There is a grocery store by where I work, so I will sometimes peak in there to see what LC yummers I can get, and lo, and behold! There, staring at me from the corner of the deli was an olive bar, stocked full of yummy stuffed olives, olives with chilie flakes, marinated mushrooms, roasted red peppers, real mozzarrella cheese balls...Wow!

I have now been able to enjoy a few olives (usually about 5 or so, with some mozzarrella and a slice of red bell pepper) as a snack, or sometimes as a light lunch. I had forgotten how much I loved olives, b/c I was told to stay away from them when I was on a low fat diet, and get this, to substitute them with pretzels!! Pretzels!! Good Grief...there is nothing in pretzels but...well, carbs and icky fats! How can someone say that a pretzel is better for you than olives?
I will never understand that. But, in the meantime, I will continue to enjoy my olives!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-06, 15:10

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/158/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 82%

Olives are one of my favorite LC snacks. The gourmet kind from Wild Oats or whole foods. A couple of those big babies and I'm good to go. I also put olives on my salad almost every day--the little stuffed green ones.

Like everything else--don't overdo. But they are legal, tasty, and nutritious.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-06, 16:10
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I find one jumbo black olive will stave off my hunger for 30 minutes, three is good for over one hour good when I get hungry before bedtime.

Yeah, I remember the the advice: "Its better to eat 40 bagels than one large croissant that has 300 calories, 17 grams of fat and 85 milligrams of cholesterol." What they don't say is one large bagel = 3 slices of bread or 300 calories.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-06, 17:05

Plan: general
Stats: 210/157/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:alot
Progress: 59%

I like stuffing a little cream cheese in the jumbo olives. Just a few is all I need. YUM!!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-06, 18:01
Always Shining

Stats: 363.3/332.6/145 Female 5'7"
BF:'fraid so...
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclukey
I like stuffing a little cream cheese in the jumbo olives. Just a few is all I need. YUM!!!

That sounds GREAT!!! Thanks for the idea!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-19-06, 11:08
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I like taking kalamata olives and feta and tossing them togehter and then I throw a bunch of garlic, olive oil and greek herbs/spices into the magic bullett and blend really well. After that I warm up a very small pan (single serving egg) and I pour the garlic, evoo spice mixture and let the garlic start to brown (about 3 minutes) and then I pour it over the feta and olive mixture while its still hot and mix it all really well and the feta melts just a tiny bit and it has this great flavor. Its great to eat warm or at room temp. I usually serve it with chicken and mixed greens.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-06, 12:32
Registered Member

Stats: 205/199.2/155 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Yum!

Journey, what a great recipe! I'll have to try it this week.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-06, 16:38

Plan: 000000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 0000
BF:
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclukey

I do this with feta cheese (or at least I did before I stopped eating dairy all together). Yummy!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-06, 08:15
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Take that olive and feta mix and use it to stuff a boneless chicken breast or thigh- then saute. It is amazing!
I also use spinach, feta and garlic. The olive,feta and garlic is my fav.
E
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-06, 09:27

Plan: LC
Stats: 180/179/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Queen sized olives stuffed with a clove of garlic. YUMMMY
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-06, 11:14

Plan: 000000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 0000
BF:
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
Take that olive and feta mix and use it to stuff a boneless chicken breast or thigh- then saute. It is amazing!
I also use spinach, feta and garlic. The olive,feta and garlic is my fav.
E

My hubby makes a dish with the feta and olives. He takes chicken breasts and marinates them in italian dressing (the kind you mix with oil and vinegar yourself) then sautes it along with green and red peppers and onion. Once that is done he tosses in fresh tomato chunks and the olives at the end to warm them a little and sprinkles feta on top. MMmmmm delicious! He used to serve it on a bed of angel hair pasta, now it's a dish all by itself with maybe a salad on the side.
Gosh, I really miss the feta! LOL