Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 13:58

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Total Calories?

I'm starting to experiment with the CAD timing (60 min) plan. Have had trouble with long nights of craving that could well be linked to snacking on the way home, then dinner going over 60 total minutes, and one week's experimentation seems to support this theory.

Not sure about the high carb foods, but I'm not craving them and it's not lack of potatos that's making me eat, it's way more that unspeakable wordless feeling that I have learned to attribute to blood sugar and insulin.

That said--if you're eating more carbs, then you're not in ketosis, so where does the weightloss on CAD come from? Assuming it HAS to be some form of caloric restriction, but to what extent?

True enough, simply not "eating long" has ALWAYS made an enormous dent in my total intake and I run a reasonably active daily life. However, I've noticed that I'm eating a bigger lunch because I can't always get to dinner when I'm first hungry, and if I can't do a pre-meal snack, or if I have to wait 90 minutes till I can eat after a snack, I "need" more for lunch.

thx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 14:06
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Oddly enough, after a couple of months on CAD, I discovered a couple of leftover ketostix that were still "good" from being on Atkins. I tried one out, and I actually DID register ketones.

If there is caloric restriction, it would seem to me to be from not only the CM choices of meat and lc (low cal) veggies, the elimination of snacking (My snacks on atkins could EASILY have been in the 300 calorie range) and the filling nature of the pre-RM salad. I never really gave much thought to calories.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 19:49
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 250/241/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Actually, you are not really eating all that many carbs. Your CM and snacks are all low carb, and if you balance the RM properly, your plate is only 1/3 carb. The appetite suppressing nature of the eating plan, and the fact that you are not snacking all day, limits your carbs and your calories to a certain extent.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-04, 06:49

Plan: Plant-based
Stats: 200/168/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

I don't count calories at all. I eat CM friend foods twice a day and I eat whatever my family eats for supper at my RM within one hour. In the last 5 wks I have lost .5 lb per week eating dessert just about every night after supper. The reason I like CAD is I don't have to count anything
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-04, 07:53
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/CAHHP
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'3"
BF:???
Progress:

I really do believe in the metabolic advantage and controlling insulin vs. calories. The Hellers, Dr. Atkins, etc. all state in their books that calories in don't necessarily = calories out. My first 4 months on LC I tracked on fitday, I took in an average of 1800-2200 calories and 80-100 carbs daily. I don't track anymore, but it's pretty much the same. I exercise for 20 minutes a day at most 3x a week, so I definitely don't burn off that many of them. And I weigh 95-100 lbs, so if the 10-12x calorie "rule" were true, I would have to get a new wardrobe by now.
THat said, I think the no snacking thing and 60 minute rule do set some limits on calorie/carb intake. Even if you go on a monster binge (not that Iwould know ) during your RM, it would be hard to go over 3000 calories and 300 carbs, which is the normal daily intake of most Americans.