Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 14:14

Plan: Jenny Craig
Stats: 240.4/194/165 Female 5'6" - large frame
BF:soft/round/cuddly
Progress: 62%
Default Atkins' Version of the LC Diet Contains Flaws....

Check this article out:
http://ultimatedietsecrets.com/atkins_diet.html

It's Titled:

Dr. Atkins' Version of the Low-Carbohydrate Diet Contains Flaws That Can Lead to Weight Loss Failure If You Don't Know What They Are
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 14:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

The things people won't print
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 14:29

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%

There's a small amount of validity.

If you consume more calories than you burn, obviously you'll gain, or at least not lose.

This person said they gained weight "just eating meat and no carbs". No wonder - they were probably constipated up to their eyeballs (and how long, pray tell, did this take?).

As you go through the ladder (phases of Atkins), you will likely decrease your calories, anyway, as your body will require less food to sustain it.

Dr. Atkins, I believe, is being misquoted in this article.

Even people who decide to pick apart the Bible usually quote it out of context.

I think Dr. Atkins stressed (at least in the version I have), the principle of eating until satisfied, not eating unlimited amounts of foods just for the sake of being able to do so. You are not to eat until you are overstuffed and uncomfortable.

This is just another ploy to sell a book.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 14:32

I don't agree with gentleman's assesment and I consider him to be quite biased because he is using his claim to sell his own product....but I do think it's important that we all keep up with the negative stuff as well as the positive.

Just a thought I had. Does anyone else find it intersting that almost every diet plan...Weight Watchers, LA Weightloss, Jenny Craig....cost money to have the privilege of being able to do them, but Atkins can be as little as $0 if given the book or what $12/$13 dollars if bought new! Generally in my opinion, help, assistance is usually something somebody just gives, for free of their own free will.......what you pay for are the scams.

Just some food for thought.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcole

As you go through the ladder (phases of Atkins), you will likely decrease your calories, anyway, as your body will require less food to sustain it.

Very good point.....something many of us are experiencing is a serious decrease in apetite with prolonged exposure to a lc way of eating.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 20:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/150/125 Female 5'4"
BF:49/24/??
Progress: 0%

The things people will say just to make a buck!, pure unadulterated sh*****t, pardon my french.

This week I am starting to feel militant about all the misinformation and out right lies about low carbing as well as Atkins.

I want to stand on a roof top and yell to everyone in the world: "You have been lied to for such a long time, and people are making money off of this".

Don't even get me started with the low carb junk food, pretty soon we will see pure sugar labeled as low carb and sold in .5 tsp packages.

Arrrrrrghhhhhh, I want a revolution in the darn diet and food industries.

Must stop now as I am getting very upset with all this mis-information.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 22:14

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (Ti
Stats: 212/149/140 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

you peepz notice that MSN is frequently bashing LCing too? i'll bet most of these articles were written or commisioned by companies like processed sugar and flour companies

LC bashing tsk tsk... I even got my grandma who is in her 70s to lose 25lbs in 8months! her knees usually hurt when walking because of arthritis before losing the weight, but now she can even dance!

i believe it's all propoganda, many don't want LC to be generally accepted by the public so there's a lot of slander floating around...