Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 17:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 303/270/220 Male 6'2"
BF:yummy
Progress: 40%
Default Too Much Water????

Can you drink too much water, is it harmful, or do get better fat loss results the more H2o you drink?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 18:52

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

In theory you can drink/eat too much of anything.

However for low carb dieting the general rule is the more water the better - at least 2 litres a day (64 ounces - 8 glasses) but double that would be helpfull.

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 11:55

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default As long as you're not on psychotropic meds...

Probably not.

Some meds have insatiable thirst as a side effect but they're pretty heavy duty. In that case, you can over drink. There's also diabetes insipidus.

But for most of us, more within reason is better.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 08:45
Registered Member

Stats: 144/141/126 Female 4'11"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Too much water

can lead to haemorrhaging, especially in the brain. I don't know the danger level but 10 pints killed a young girl over here some years ago. They thought she'd died of Ecstasy poisoning but it turned out it was too much water.

Apparently the body can process around a glass of water an hour (although the article I read didn't specify the size of glass!!)

The official guidelines are drink when you're thirsty. The paler your urine the more hydrated you are. If it's very pale, bordering on clear you're probably drinking too much.

What I do know is that my skin suffered terrible while I was drinking 2 litres a day. I had spots and dry patches, itches and rashes and nothing would cure it. I stopped drinking so much water and my skin's improved amazingly.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 08:56
Keto-licious

Plan: Atkins/low carb
Stats: 211.6/208/200 Female 5ft 6"
BF:38/38%/20%
Progress: 31%

I can normally put away about 4 litres of water a day and feel OK for it, although am normally dashing to the loo a lot!!!!

Once I get into the rountine of actually drinking water then I can easily just keep drinking, once I was drinking about 6 litres of water a day but found that was quite uncomfortable ...

Before starting this WOL I would only drink tea or alcohol ... I wouldnt touch water - now I actually enjoy it, although sometimes I have to force myself to get started ... plus I prefer sparkling water although can cause some historically loud belches!

Lindy
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 09:14
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I sure hope it don't create a problem for me. Im up to almost a gallon and a half now that the weather is so humid and hot.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 12:04

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default No problem when it's hot

and if you're working outside a lot. I don't aircondition and do a LOT of heavy work outside on the weekends; it's all I can do to stay hydrated and I don't worry about too much. Kinda scary when you can drink more than a gallon and not have to pee...
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 14:41

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/.../a/aa051200.htm

The answer is yes. Basically, you can replace too many of your bodily fluids with plain water. Your electrolyte and salt levels get too low and you can pass out. Over time you can die from it.

I wouldn't drink more than 150oz of water per day unless you're doing a lot of exercising. (4hr+)

It can also happen if you have a rapid change in water intake. If you only drank 16oz for 5 years, then over a week's time drank 150oz every day, you would probably suffer from water intoxication.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 23:32

Plan: atkins (kinda)
Stats: 196.6/188.1/150 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 18%

yes there is such a thing as water intoxication but from everything i found it apparently only affects long distance runners who are doing marathons. it can be fatal if not treated immediately.

that said i can and do easily consume anything from 3 - 9 litres a day without any ill effects. (touch wood). yip i pee alot but my skin is better, i feel better and the more i drink the better my weight loss goes.

i also read that it's difficult to drink *too* much water or the amount required to put you in the danger zones.