Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 16:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/165/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Chilies Rellenos

I like to serve these as my vegetable when I cook fajitas.

Chilies Rellenos

8 whole Poblano Chilies
1 pound Monterey jack cheese
1/2 cup Chefs blend flour
3 eggs, separated
1 tablespoon water
3 tablespoons Chefs blend flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
oil for deep frying

With the fire on low of a gas stove or under the broiler, blacken the skin of the chilies. This will take a while. It is surprisingly hard to burn a chili. Place them in a plastic bag and let them sweat until they are cool enough to handle.

Remove them from the bag and under running water wash the blackened skin off each chili. I find that fingernails are the best tools for this job.

Leave the pepper tops on. Cut slits in the side of each one (take care to keep them in one piece). Remove seeds and membrane. I use a small sharp knife to cut the seed cap off the underside of the stem.

Cut cheese into sticks about 1 inch shorter than chilies in length and 1/2 to 3/4 inch in width and thickness. Place cheese sticks inside chilies and press sides together. Place the 1/2 cup of Chefs flour in a dish and coat each chili. Place chilies on wax paper lined cookie sheet and place in the refrigerator.

Since this is so time consuming I usually do this early in the morning the day I'm going to cook them or late at night the day before.

These peppers are not hot and won't burn your hands but the fumes will still irritate your eyes and throat.

Batter: Beat egg whites until stiff. Combine in another bowl the egg yolks, water, 3 tablespoons of Chefs flour and the salt; mix together until smooth.. Gently fold in beaten egg whites. Heat deep fryer to 375 degrees or until very hot. Dip each chili into batter and then place on saucer. Slide chilies from saucer into hot oil. Fry about 4 minutes, they are done when they are puffed and golden brown.

For a quick sauce to go with them I take a bowl of sour cream and mix some picante sauce in it to taste and then warm it up in the microwave.
Sponsored Links