Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-04-05, 00:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 350/300/50 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default new to this site but not new to low carb

Greetings to all you low carb followers and people with a passion for pursuing a healthy life style. I have been looking for a site that could provide support and comadarie since I have been actively changing my lifestyle. Low carbing isnt just a diet for me but a life style change, I have been diabetic for over 25 years and have suffered many medical problems that are diabetes related. When I started the Atkins plan I was fortunate to have a wonderful doctor, Dr. Mary Vernon in Lawrence Kansas. I had wonderful success in the first six months and lost over 60 pounds, although I have more weight to drop, the more important issue for me has been the success I have had in maintaining normal blood sugars, lowering my tryglycerides, overall cholesterol, and basically achieving a better sense of well being. I have not been able to budge any weight in the last three months but am still pleased to be feeling better. I think we get so weight loss oriented that we forget that the here and now is just as important. I am still dedicated to losing the weight but am sincerely grateful for the "good vibes" I experience daily. I love to research recipes and am always on the lookout for ways to improve my attitude and overall well being. Mostly I am looking for some people to chat and share ideas, recipes, laughs, and support with.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-04-05, 05:24

Plan: ?????
Stats: 239.9/196/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 46%

Welcome to the site!!! Funny how you mention its about health! I just had a conversation about that with another member. I'm type 2 and can control it completely through diet and exercise.
If you start a journal its great fror giving and recieving support and advice. Again welcome and best of luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-04-05, 07:45

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 260/242/170 Female 68 inches
BF:too much
Progress: 20%

hi vovina. WELCOME. Altho i would now like to lose some lbs. i started LC for the health benefits also. Very intense family history of diabetes ( my mom died of T2 complicatiions at 52-i am 50, my dad, 3 grandparents, aunts uncle and brother are T2). My health is the only reason ive stuck to this woe cuz the lbs lost has been slowwww. My BS are very good i think because of lc. So far i am the only 1st in my family to reach 50 and no T2. You are so fortunate to have your MD support in your WOE. I have bought and distributed dandr for my family members, but when they talk to their mds or nutritionists(and they are scattered thruout the US) LC is dimissed as not good for diabetics in favor of the ADA diet!!!.I feel so helpless about that as they all talk about high or inconsistent BS readings!!! so again WELCOME .
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-05-05, 15:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 350/300/50 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hi Lady Golden,
Thanks for the welcome. Diabetes is a tough disease, I get tired of the media trying to make it a self fullfilling disease. They try to place the blame on the individual but it is pretty clear that many factors are involved. The ADA diet is soooo bad if you are a diabetic. My doctor co-wrote the most recent book out by Atkins called, "Atkins Diabetes Revolution". it outlines why controlling carbs can prevent and controll for type 2 diabetes. I highly recommend it becuase it explains why it works. I take insulin and my biggest hope is that one day I wont have to. So I feel it is all worth it. I am 50 yrs old and am raising two of my four grandchildren. I have a lot to live for so anything that helps is worth it. again thanks for the warm welcome. and email me again. Vovina