Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 19:38

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default My first real success, but it isn't Atkins

For the first time in years I am having real success losing weight! I am 50 years old, menopausal, and trying to lose about 12 pounds. Doesn't sound like much, but when you're 5 feet tall, every pound shows and it can be incredibly hard to lose a little weight. The best part is that for the first time in my life (not just in recent years) but the first time EVER, the weight is coming off from around my waist first!

I can't believe how my clothes fit! I thought I would never again zip up a pair of pants, but they are actually loose.

I haven't been eating a super-low carb diet, but a low glycemic diet. It builds on the science behind diabetic diets by keeping blood sugar on a low, even keel.

I avoid refined carbohydrates (sugar and flour) AND I count calories. I eat a lot of vegetables and a little fruit. Small portions of meat (any kind). No potatoes or rice. The only bread I eat is Ezekial bread (no flour). I do eat no-sugar peanut butter, cheese, butter, eggs, etc., but because I count calories I measure what I use and try to use just enough to make the meal palatable, without using up too many of the day's calories at one sitting.

If you're finding that avoiding carbs isn't doing it for you (especially if you're like me, middle-aged and small), I would recommend the low-glycemic approach, instead of low-carb per se.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 20:43
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Nelson,

I would recommend that you read Sugar Busters. I think you'll find that what you have been doing is very like the SB approach.

Continued success to you!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 20:44
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'm happy for you! It's thrilling to see it start to melt away, isn't it?

Eating plans are definately not "One size fits all". I'm glad you found one that works for you.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 21:10

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

It also sounds similar to the Insulin Resistance Diet. I could never do away completely with carbs but I do just fine watching my calories and limiting my carb intake. I still eat some carbs, but I save them for veggies, fruit, and the occasional treat. I probably eat 50-70 carbs a day and have been losing weight.