Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 19:03

Plan: Atkins then CALP as of 8/4
Stats: 250/228/160 Female 5ft7in
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default CALP + BFL Fitness or weight training

Has anyone here done CALP with a BFL type fitness program? I have been doing cardio 3x a week. I joined a new gym and I would like to do cardio 3x a week and weight training 3x a week (on different days) alternating upper and lower body. I have a gym at work and will do cardio on my lunch hour and weight training at night at the new gym.

Would it be best to do my reward meal before or after the weight training? I have been reading a lot about carbs surrounding weight training and most say it is important to eat some carbs after. I am concerned though that I will not be able to make it through the workout without carbs before.

How do you guys handle this?

Abie
250/225/?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 14:31

Plan: Keto
Stats: 176/142.2/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:41%/33%/??
Progress: 73%

What's BFL?

I do a program called "Eight Minutes in the Morning" for stregnth training, and I wear a pedometer all day every day and strive to increase my daily steps.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 17:38

BF:

Sorry hehe Body for Life... The schedule is like:

weights/cardio/weights/cardio/weights/cardio/free day
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 21:19

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 188/185/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Abie,

I did 2 BFL challenges, but not with CAD. Phillips says that the carbs are most important after the weight sessions. Of course, he thinks that carbs are just as important in ones diet as protein & fat, so I am somewhat skeptical.

I would recommend the RM after your workout. I would have a CS before the workout if needed. The weight sessions can be pretty intensive. Have you done weight training before?

The carbs spike insulin, which does help with muscle increase. If one of your goals is to increase muscle mass, keep this in mind.

Keep us posted on your success.

Lila
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 21:28

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Abie, I've done countless BFL challenges, both LC and by the book, and I agree with Lila, the carbs that Bill is touting are because he's from main stream - although his carb choices are pretty good (low glycemic and he would prefer it if we didn't use bread). I think if you've been LCing a while you could handle the exercise, but if you haven't then you might find you need higher carbs throughout the day, or right before/after a workout.

The only hesitation I would have suggesting BFL with CAD is the fact that CAD is geared toward having only 3 (or 2) meals a day - this does not jive with weight lifting. To support the work that you do lifting heavy weights to failure you need to eat every 3 to 4 hours, this comes down to 5-6 times a day. The protein, delivered this way, is what makes the results possible - 70-80% of the results from any exercise plan are derived from the nutrition. The actual sweat and hard work accounts for roughly 25% of your end product.

In any event, best of luck to you - and you might want to check out the BFL forum over in the Exercise area of this site!

-Nat
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 07:12

BF:

Thanks for the great information. I am meeting with a trainer this weekend. I am excited and scared at the same time. I have done so well on my one cm and one rm plan. I know Im going to have to increase the times I eat to do this though. I will start by adding in breakfast and a protien cs.

I could probably get away with replacing my 15 minute coffee with an all protien cs too. That would make 5 meals with protien.

I'll see how that goes and then modify if needed.

Thanks again for all of the info!
Abie