Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 11:05

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%
Default Olives?

I know you guys use olive oil but are olives okay? I have a weakness for kalamata olives.

jenn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 11:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Jun-08-07 at 11:47.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 11:26

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 166/150/132 Female 5'3.5"
BF:31%/ ? /23.5%
Progress: 47%

Ten to twenty olives daily are okay, even on "Induction" (1992 Atkins, Induction "special category foods"). Yummy--

But, of course, the caveat: "these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowing, moderate your intake of these foods." There's always a catch, isn't there?

Cheers--
Terry-24
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 11:49
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry-24
Ten to twenty olives daily are okay, even on "Induction" (1992 Atkins, Induction "special category foods"). Yummy--

But, of course, the caveat: "these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowing, moderate your intake of these foods." There's always a catch, isn't there?

Cheers--
Terry-24

Terry, we're not doing Atkins in this sub-forum.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 12:01

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 166/150/132 Female 5'3.5"
BF:31%/ ? /23.5%
Progress: 47%

Oops, my bad. I looked at Elsah's plan, not thread. Rewind, all.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 12:12

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I eat them and they don't affect anything negatively. They are a good source of fat.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 14:15

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't know..but I think they taste good, so I eat them.

I'm not sure if they caused this, but the freakiest thing just happened to me. It totally surprised me. I just hiccuped, after eating my 3PM snack (that I take with my supplements), and out comes this white powdered cloud out of my nostrils, and man, I thought there was an adverse chemical reaction going on in my stomach or something, because it was very surprising and new to me. I probably just exhaled some of the calcium supplements I just downed. Talk about quick digestion. I literally just swallowed the supplements 5 minutes ago, and they're in powdered form in capsules.

..hmm, but olives are ok for me. I think they might contain more trans fat than is desirable for the health-conscious individual..one serving, probably 5 olives, contains .5g trans fat. and there isn't much fat in olives anyway (maybe 1.5g/5 olives)..this is probably due to the cooking of the olives. Cooking monounsaturated fat at high temperatures will hydrogenate it to make it trans fat. However, if you eat them sparingly and not too often, I'm sure five or ten won't kill you.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 15:02

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

That's weird, Capo.

I wish I burped like that! Only maybe in colors like neon blue!

Seriously, I love olives as much as the next person, but I have to suggest that unless they are consumed raw, or can be consumed raw, they are not Paleo. No judgements here, but we need to distinguish what is acceptable vs what is practical from a Paleo standpoint. The olives that I know about in the stores I see are heavily processed, canned, packaged or whatever.

I have to ask the question about Why have I never seen a raw olive? Can you really even eat them raw? And, if not, why are we eating the oil?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 15:35

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProteusOne
That's weird, Capo.

I wish I burped like that! Only maybe in colors like neon blue!

Seriously, I love olives as much as the next person, but I have to suggest that unless they are consumed raw, or can be consumed raw, they are not Paleo. No judgements here, but we need to distinguish what is acceptable vs what is practical from a Paleo standpoint. The olives that I know about in the stores I see are heavily processed, canned, packaged or whatever.

I have to ask the question about Why have I never seen a raw olive? Can you really even eat them raw? And, if not, why are we eating the oil?
It won't help the color of your burbs, but you can turn your blood green.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 15:40
Experimenter

BF:

Just curious but where does the stricture about only eating foods that can be eaten raw come from? Which paleo author proposes that? Cooking has been around for 140,000 years, at least, maybe much longer.

Olives are generally cured or sun-dried:

http://www.lifeinitaly.com/food/olives.asp
Quote:
Olive fruit are green pomes and turn a blackish-purple when ripe. Some varieties remain green while others turn coppery brown. Olives vary greatly in flavor, oil content and shape. Shapes differ considerably and can be elongated, oval or round. Raw olives are often bitter and uneatable. Some varieties can be eaten raw once they are sun-dried.

If crops are thinned, olives will grow larger. Thinning must be done immediately after the fruit has set. Crops should be thinned until only two or three olives remain on every 30 centimeters of branch.

Olives that are to remain green are harvested while green, but after they have reached the proper size. After that, they can be picked at any stage, through to ripeness. Ripe olives can bruise easily and have to be handled with care. Mold can be a problem between harvesting and curing.

Here's info on the curing process, it involves lots and lots of salt.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Whol...Own-Olives.aspx

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Jun-08-07 at 15:47.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 16:45

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 137/135/130 Female 5' 6"
BF:Don't know
Progress: 29%

Glad to see this discussion about olives because as a Newbie Neander I was going to ask about them - having just had 6 with my salad for dinner. I think I will NOT eat them again. These were black, oily, sundried, and very salty - fab!!! But I think they are too processed for my two week experiment.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 17:09

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Proteus, I found raw olives once at the grocery store. I illegally nibbled on one to see what it was like and it was just about the bitterest thing I ever put in my mouth.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 17:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/138/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I ordered raw olives over the internet a few years ago when I was going through my raw food diet phase. It was a site that catered to raw foodies.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 22:30

BF:

I didn't think they were palatable raw.

As for Why is cooking foods to be avoided? Nancy, to me that is just the ideal type, or the "final test," so-to-speak for a food that could be readily available to an on-the-go tribe. Picking and eating as you go probably was the original fast food. If cooking has been around that long, great, but it just makes more sense to me that if an early human couldn't eat it raw, then what would be the impetus to put it on a stick over the fire?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 22:35

BF:

Speaking of raw vs cooked....

I have a friend who's into Chinese medicine in a big way, and his thoughts on raw vs cooked is that raw foods are "cold" foods, and thus create "cold" responses in the body, and if to excess, disease. He believes that there should be a balance of raw and cooked in order to achieve a balanced diet.

I don't know what I think about this, as I tend to prefer raw over cooked. But I'll take my olives heavily processed.