Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-08, 20:44

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 168/163/150 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Do you believe this ADA info?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-08, 21:41
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

No. Next question.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-08, 22:36
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Has that nonsense already come full circle?

I hadn't realized I was so old!

Lisa
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-08, 23:07

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

oh no, what will three eggs do?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 06:26

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Egg Beaters and other egg substitutes give you the taste of eggs without the yolks.

I suspect the driving force behind that report is the fake food industry.... I wonder how many people who eat Egg Beaters and other egg substitutes die each year of heart disease, heart attacks and strokes....

I eat no less than one egg every day. I doubt if I've skipped three days in the last 2 years without eating at least 1 egg and many times 3 or 4 eggs in a day.

My last cholesterol test in August was 135, triglycerides were 95... That and other reports from the ADA are useless to me.

Just as there is no reason to reinvent the wheel, I see no reason to reinvent real food...

Ron
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 07:46
Carpe Diem

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/260/185 Male 70
BF:42/33.7/25
Progress: 40%

That article is just dripping with special interest money. Somebody will profit from scaring diabetics into giving up whole eggs. The comments after the article says it all. There were 5 commenters who saw through the bs of the article and said so in plain English. Not one person who responded supported the facts presented by the article. That must tell us something (actually the comments were better reading than the article).
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 07:55

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

What?!

That is just literally IN-credible.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 12:13

Plan: CAD
Stats: 168/158/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

This makes me think of a Weight Watchers dessert recipe someone here at work circulated recently. It included a boxed cake mix and substituted Egg Beaters for 2 eggs! The cake mix probably had 2000 calories of starch alone but WW had taught her that Egg Beaters were healthier.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 12:43

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 335/236/205 Male 70 inches
BF:??/32/10
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter
Egg is safe as long as the yolk does not break. So, separate yolk from white,mix the white, put in pan then add yolk. As long as yolk does not break no oxidation of yolk i.e. no cholesterol.

Gold, Jerry!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 12:46

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

UnFREAKINbelievable.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 14:09

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 168/163/150 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default original research

Here is the original research:

http://www.adajournal.org/article/S...isrc=newsletter

I am not good at math, in fact, I am terrible at math
During a mean of 13 years, 1,140 HF hospitalizations were identified. After multivariable adjustment (energy intake, demographics, lifestyle factors, prevalent cardiovascular disease, diabetes, hypertension), HF risk was lower with greater whole-grain intake (0.93 [0.87, 0.99]), but HF risk was higher with greater intake of eggs (1.23 [1.08, 1.41]) and high-fat dairy (1.08 [1.01, 1.16]). These associations remained significant independent of intakes of the five other food categories, which were not associated with HF.

I have no idea what those figures mean. But I do know that stating things one way, makes them sound a lot different if they are stated another way.

For instance I read one time that 30% of all cancer was caused by environment and 1/3 was caused by diet. Even someone who is terrible at math can figure out that they were actually saying that environment and diet were equal in the causation of cancer.

I was reading a book yesterday called, "Selling Sickness". In the chapter on high blood pressure, they were discussing medication for bp.

These statistics were presented to a group attending a lecture on bp.

"Would you take a drug for five years if it:
1. Lowered your chances of having a heart attack by 33%
2. Lowered your chances of having a heart attack from 3% down to 2%, a difference of 1%
3. Saved one person in 100 from having a heart attack but there is no way of knowing in advance who that one person would be?"

Most people responded to yes to number one. Twenty percent responded yes to number 2 and 3. The statistics were actually the same figures, stated in a different way.

The doctor who was giving the talk explained that 33% off a $300 item would lower the price to $200. While 33% off of a $3.00 item would only lower the price to $2.00.

Were the actual results skewed to make it sound worse than it actually is in this instance. I don't know. I repeat, I am not good at math.

Can someone break this down into a more understandable format?

Astonish
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 14:44

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

"For instance I read one time that 30% of all cancer was caused by environment and 1/3 was caused by diet."
I don't think it's possible to know what percent of what causes
cancer anymore than it's possible to know what percentage of
people get lung cancer from secondhand smoke.
I think the people who are spouting the numbers are trying to
blow smoke up our axx's.
Eddie
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 17:46

BF:

Quote:
According to their report in the current issue of The New England Journal of Medicine, scientists at the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) have developed a new genetic test that, for the first time, can easily distinguish between hereditary and sporadic forms of breast cancer. This new approach should make it possible for physicians to quickly and accurately diagnose the cause of an individual woman's disease and may ultimately guide decisions about the most effective treatment.

Quote:
Approximately 5 to 10 percent of breast tumors are hereditary; the remaining cases are caused by genetic changes that occur during a woman's life and are commonly called sporadic. In the mid 1990s, scientists identified mutations in genes now called BRCA1 and BRCA2 that are the major cause of the hereditary form of the disease. Women inheriting these mutations have a 40 to 85 percent lifetime risk of developing breast cancer, as well as an increased risk of ovarian cancer.

http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/feb2001/nhgri-21.htm
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-08, 10:15

Plan: Bernstein (Guided)
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
"For instance I read one time that 30% of all cancer was caused by environment and 1/3 was caused by diet."
I don't think it's possible to know what percent of what causes
cancer anymore than it's possible to know what percentage of
people get lung cancer from secondhand smoke.
I think the people who are spouting the numbers are trying to
blow smoke up our axx's.
Eddie

#15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-08, 10:19

BF:

Read "Good Calories Bad Calories". Nice big hints in there about cancer rates prior to the introduction of easily digestible carbs to native populations vs cancer rates AFTER.

It is my belief based on that info as well as the Mexican breast study population and several dozen others that diet is about 75% responsible for cancer cases. The exact triggers being a diet high in sugar, flour, potatoes, high fructose corn syrup, etc...