Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 16:44
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 210/193/130
BF:
Progress: 21%
Question too much Soy?

I have read a few posts here & there that say too much soy is bad for you. I even read an online article (well, actually the whole site seemed anti-soy) cant remember the name of that site. My question is- how much is too much-and is this all nonsense anyway?
I drink at least 8 oz soy milk, use soy flour,eat soybeans etc. every day. I always thought this was a really healthy thing. Anyone have any differing opinions? I'd love to hear some other ideas.
Also, the same question about Iron in vitamins. All these years women especially have been told to get extra iron, and until recently all the multi's for women contained extra. I have searched and asked on other boards, but still do not understand why it is now bad for us to have so much (I realize we get more than the average bear with this WOE)
Sorry for the multiple questions, but all the conflicting stuff I hear drives me nuts!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 17:48
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Here's what I know about soy. It contains a phytoestrogen, meaning naturally occuring hormone, similar to the estrogen women make in their bodies (or take in birth control pills or HRT). An excess of estrogen has been linked with higher rates of breast cancer in a large population over time. How much increase? It's very hard to quantify--probably only a slight rise, on the order of 1.3 relative risk (baSed on a norm of 1.). Does phytoestrogen act like the body's estrogen? Again, it's hard to say. Some sources say that it's far less potent, others that it's a potential risk. The other confusing point is that estrogens appear to act differently on different women, with some able to process relatively high amounts with no problems and others having bad effects (it may depend at least in part on how much estrogen the woman's body is itself producing).

So here's what I recommend, and what I do: I limit my soy intake to one serving a day (tofu, soy granules, soy lecithin, soy butter, etc.), and do not take soy supplements. Until there are more reliable findings, I think it's best to treat soy with some reservations. But that's a good rule of eating anyway--doing everything in moderation.

Last edited by RoseTattoo : Mon, Jul-07-03 at 17:49.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 22:17
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

There are also studies which link soy to reduced cancer risks. Alot of the studies seem to say it depends on what stage of life your in (child, adult, pregnent, menopause) what effect soy has on the body. People in studies also tend to have obscene amounts of the specific foods. Soy has been eaten for centuries in asian cultures and they don't have an abnormal rate of cancers that I've seen reported.

I limit soy to my children, but since I am lactose intolerent I go ahead and have my soy milk and cheese. They have found carcinagins in milk from the hormones and other chemicals given to cows. They are also on fruit, in meat, in eggs, and almost every other food. Almost any thing we put into our body you can find a study that says it is bad.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 22:29

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Pretty sure no one has actually died from eating soy. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for animal products.

http://www.laurushealth.com/HealthNews/Reuters/NewsStory1003200237.htm

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2000/nov2000/bse-n03.shtml

http://www.all-creatures.org/health/fh.html

The lists are endless.

Jinx

Interesting interview:
http://more.abcnews.go.com/sections...ncer010118.html

Last edited by MsJinx : Mon, Jul-07-03 at 22:37.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 05:30
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

It is possible that Asians are able to process large amounts of soy in ways that Westerners cannot, so I wouldn't take the relatively small rates of breast cancer among Asians as evidence that unlimited soy is ok for non-Asians. Also, when looking at cancer risks, it's important to take other factors into account--it's possible other food or lifestyle habits among Asians mitigate the risk that could be posed by soy.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting that we ought to avoid soy, only that we should use in it moderation. I agree with you, Lady Belle, that time of life is a factor. I myself am menopausal, and that makes me extra cautious.

Last edited by RoseTattoo : Tue, Jul-08-03 at 05:31.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 06:53

Plan: Carb Cycle
Stats: 185/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default It depends on processing...like everything

My understanding of soy issues is that soy that is processed (sound familiar, is the form that is bad for you). Soy that has been processed as the asian's have for centuries, aging, etc. No chemicals is not.

I am not sure that most of the studies distinguish between chemical processing or not.

Just my 2 cents.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 13:50

Plan: ?
Stats: 130/125/125 Female 5' 7"
BF:12%
Progress: 100%

You may be getting soy in more foods than you realize. Almost all mayonnaise now is made with soy, cattle are given soy as feed, it is pretty easy to get too much soy. This is all before you even knowingly buy a Soy product.

I have provided a link that describes some of the downfalls of soy in your diet - especially for women. Also - perhaps noone has died from soy (keeled over on the spot) but it can make for an unpleasant, hormonally unbalanced life!!

MYTHS AND TRUTHS ABOUT SOY
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 17:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 363/294/270 Male 6 feet, 6.5 inches
BF:

Dumb question: Any thoughts as to the additional estrogen affecting the hormonal balance in men? Maybe it will have a calming, anti-testosterone affect, but what about biological implications?

Ever since I discovered it, I’ve been drinking a whole container of Soy Slender per day. It’s a great way to address cravings for something sweet – without any sugar alcohols.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 20:35
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 210/193/130
BF:
Progress: 21%

Thanks for the comments. I guess moderation is really the key- too bad, because I LOVE the Soy Slender too! Wonder how much is actually too much. I have noticed changes in TOM that seem very consistant with being perimenopausal, but since I am only 35, it seems a bit strange, although i have read it can start early, I wonder if the suppliments or the soy may be affecting things. I'm seeing the Gyn. just to be on the safe side.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 21:08
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:

I think moderation is good for any food. They have studies that say red wine and coffee are good for you, then others that say too much is bad. There is all kinds of healthy things in chocolate, but bad too

Talk to you gyn about it. The too much point is probably an individual thing like any other, but she can advise you if the symptoms you are having could be from the soy.

Remember too that changes in TOM and hot flashes can come from LC though too