Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 15:02

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default A BM question, any wisdom to share?

Hi Folks, still on Induction phase.

Two days ago I started going on Ultra Fiber, a pysillium/prune combination pill, 3 before each meal. It's supposed to bulk things up and ship 'em out. It ain't working.

I'm wondering if it's normal that right now I'm getting a lot less "output" (if you know what I mean) than "input".......I just feel like I should be having more decent, emptying BMs but it's just not happening. Sorry to be asking another poop question but my functions are changing and it's enough to notice and ask for advice....thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 15:14

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Okay, I definitely don't have this problem (quite the opposite!) but I think I can offer a suggestion.

Warm, gooey foods!

This is something that (sorry to be gross) has an effect on me within the hour...I happened to notice it by chance...it just might work for you, maybe not as quickly, but it can't hurt to try.

Make a warm mock danish and eat it WARM; don't wait for it to cool. There are mock danish recipes floating around but if you can't find one, let me know and I'll write one down. You MUST eat it warm...warm cream cheese really seems to do the trick for me.

Another trick that works even better, but it shouldn't really be done on Induction, is warm sugar-free Jello chocolate pudding. Get the heat-and-serve kind, not the "instant" (cold-pour) kind. Heat it to boiling, then pour it into a bowl, put it in the fridge and let it soft set for 5 minutes ONLY. Take it out and eat a quarter of it very warm. Typically, you can't eat that type of thing on induction, though if you're desperate, it probably won't throw you off, but it does have 8 grams of carbs so that's almost half your daily allotment.

Drinking tons of water--too much water--also works well for me. I try not to overstuff myself with water but any time (it's pretty infrequent) that I'm trying to get things "moving along" I do that, and it helps.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 15:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 263/241/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:Above Avg.
Progress: 28%

Oh what a Sh**ty situation to be in I too posed this question about a month and a half ago and got great advise that I will share with you on this particular topic.

First, it is to be expected, so don't worry so much. Although if it's been several days and your starting to get back aches or stomach pains you need to act. Use a laxative, either oral or rec (well you know). I went with the southern version after 9 days. It took about 10 minutes and clean as a whistle. Not to mentioned the next morning I was down 4 lbs. Seriously. I have since had to use "laxatives" a few times over the months, but usually not a problem.

The other thing to consider, your putting less "junk" in, so your going to get less out. During the times that I am regular, the volume is considerably less than what it was before.

If you do use a laxative, don't become dependent on them, I've heard of some people doing it as a form of weight loss, and it's just not a good thing. I have had to use them about 3 times over the period of 2 months, and it was more towards the beginng. Now that I'm able to add more veggies and keep the water flowing, there isn't the problem. Good luck, you'll get a lot of great advise on this, because most people experience it.

Happy Poopin
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 15:36

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 170/166.5/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Lots, lots, lots of water!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 15:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 215/175/175 Female 5'11"
BF:22
Progress: 100%

While on some of the other forums, I heard about Oil of Oregano, which is supposed to help with constipation, among other things. I have only been taking it for 2 days, along with green tea pills. So far, I would have to say it is helping, as I went today adn hadn't in a few days. Also, I have noticed when weighing that I weigh the same in AM as PM, meaning I am not gaining anyting during the day, kinda weird cuz I usually gain 4 pounds by night. I'm just waiting for TOM to be over so I can see wha tI am losing, if anything.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 15:46

Plan: yes
Stats: 14/14/14 Female 20
BF:
Progress: 101%

Fresh baby spinach and 100 ounces of water a day...
d.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 15:50

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hemp Oil...
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 15:53

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 138/138/115 Female 65
BF:28%/28%/20%

I can recommend flaxmeal. Twice a day, I put two tablespoons with hotwater and a tablespoon of sugarfree syrup. Sometimes I'll have this 3x a day. Flaxmeal has carbs, but they're all fiber, but I don't get that bulky feeling from fiber powders/pills.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 16:04

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:

Thank you all for your wonderful tips and advice, I truly do appreciate it....

But:

1. I drink 2.5 litres of water per day

2. Take fiber capsules

3. It's not that I'm constipated, I'm regular once a day, there's just not a whole lot, know what I mean? Ever have one of those real good ones where after you're done, you just feel so much lighter and happier?

That's what I'm missing. I just feel like maybe my waste is just hanging out, in my guts, not really cleaning house like it should be.

Plus, I've gained a 1.5 lbs since my first weigh in, and I'm certain it's either muscle or extra you-know-what taking it's friggin time.....
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 16:06

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 211/198/135 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 17%

I'd agree with X-large that if you are not in pain, don't worry. I don't go like I used to and don't seem to be sick or anything. I guess regular doesn't mean every day. I read in another thread that this is a low output diet, that our bodies absorb alot of the food and there is less to come out. I'm trying not to be gross, but if I do not go for a few days I do use a laxative and still don't really go that much, so I guess the low output thing appears to be true. Hope you work it out.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 16:32

Plan: yes
Stats: 14/14/14 Female 20
BF:
Progress: 101%

Keep in mind that the food you are now eating (provided you aren't relying on frankenfoods) is far more nutrient-dense than high carb junk. Your body is actually USING the food you're putting in now, so yes, there will be less...
d,
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 00:14

Plan: My own low-carb rules
Stats: 190/180/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskimbee
Hi Folks, still on Induction phase.

Two days ago I started going on Ultra Fiber, a pysillium/prune combination pill, 3 before each meal. It's supposed to bulk things up and ship 'em out. It ain't working.

I'm wondering if it's normal that right now I'm getting a lot less "output" (if you know what I mean) than "input".......I just feel like I should be having more decent, emptying BMs but it's just not happening. Sorry to be asking another poop question but my functions are changing and it's enough to notice and ask for advice....thanks.

Instead of pills, try the loose bulk psyllium powder that you add to water. I use orange flavored with aspartame (personal choice). The bulk stuff gives better results, but you have to drink lots of water with it & throughout the day -- otherwise the OPPOSITE can happen, and psyllium can become constipating.