Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: What was your longest stall?
I've never stalled 12 14.81%
Less than a month 23 28.40%
2-3 months 27 33.33%
4-6 months 10 12.35%
more than 6 months 6 7.41%
more than a year 3 3.70%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 17:08

Plan: atkins (testing hf/mp)
Stats: 157/143.2/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:why i oughta...
Progress: 69%
Default What was your longest stall---and how did you break it?

Okay I lost 13 pounds in the first two months and I've been stalled ever since. No I don't eat frankenfoods, do drink lots of water, go easy on nuts and cheese, don't drink diet soda, and have tried upping my carbs, upping my fat, upping my calories, lowering my calories, and just about every trick I know other than joining the gym, although I do have a physical job (massage therapist).

I'm curous if there's anyone else out there who broke a LONG stall and if so, if there was something proactive you did to break it. I've seen others with similar stats to mine (20 lbs to lose) who joined months after me and lost without a problem. I've hung in there for 8 months (5 1/2 of them stalled) but I'm beginning to think it's time to change horses.

Thanks in advance for your answers/tips.

Poetree
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 18:50
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Poet! Are you losing inches? If you are you are not "stalled". I don't think I ever was stalled. I have had periods where I have not lost--like 22 days but that's not long enough to be considered a "stall".

A "stall" is four weeks or more without losing pounds or inches.

Please do not compare yourself to others, it's too discouraging. No one loses the same.

Maybe change up your exercise routine. Maybe eat different veggies.

At least you are not going hungry or gaining. Remember for most people the last 10 pounds are the hardest to lose.

Stick to what you're doing and you will get to your goal. I promise. Your body is stubborn but you will prevail.

Be safe
red

Last edited by red1cutie : Thu, Dec-11-03 at 18:57.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 19:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/194/150 Female 70 inches
BF:?/34%/25%
Progress: 8%

Hi poetree,

Maybe your body is at the wieght it wants to be at 137 lbs you are very close to the 135 you should be and judging by your picture you look amazing. You also have to take into acount you cant get back to what you were in your teen now that you are in you are in your eary thirties late twenties ( as i judge by you pic if i am wrong pleasr for give me.) as you age you body will add wieght and hold onto it, so i think 137 is great for you.

My second question is where on the central coast are you? I am in SLO. dont you just love this area? except for the housing prices.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 19:29
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I stalled for about 9 months...

To break it I added exercise, began supplementing with Chromium, CoQ10 and L-Carnitine.

I also spent some time on CAD.

I wish I could say which was the most helpful, and the scientific-minded would cringe that I didn't do one at a time, to see which worked, but HEY! I was getting desperate!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 20:05

Plan: atkins (testing hf/mp)
Stats: 157/143.2/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:why i oughta...
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by petcrazed
Hi poetree,

Maybe your body is at the wieght it wants to be at 137 lbs you are very close to the 135 you should be and judging by your picture you look amazing. You also have to take into acount you cant get back to what you were in your teen now that you are in you are in your eary thirties late twenties ( as i judge by you pic if i am wrong pleasr for give me.) as you age you body will add wieght and hold onto it, so i think 137 is great for you.

My second question is where on the central coast are you? I am in SLO. dont you just love this area? except for the housing prices.

Thanks for the compliment--I'm 44! I weighed 134 two years ago and 120-129 all the rest of my adult life. It's not just the weight--I'd like to get back into my 7/8's but yes, 3 kids definitely changes your metabolism.

And I'm in SLO too, and yes, I love it here.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 20:34
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

At losiung 5% of what you need to each month, those last 2 will take forever.

My typical weight loss cycle is to plateau at a weight for a long time, then I gain a little followed by a period of steady losses then another plateau.

If you want to get things moving, cut out all nuts and dairy. Do a KISS induction, which is basicaly meat, veggies and oils. Get the fat to 70%. It's boring, but it can get things going a bit and really helps to fight bloat. I do this occasionaly to detox, but only for a few days, then slowly work back in other foods.

It's not the same as going off and redoing induciton, or cycling through cheats and redoing induction, since I never eat high carb. My blood chemistry stays stable, I just eat a little healthier and more whole foods for a bit and avoid my addiction (dairy). I wouldn't recomend someone do this so they can binge on the weekends then try to lose during the week.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 23:56

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

I don't think I've ever stalled either. Even though for some time, I didn't see the scale moving, I could feel my clothes getting loser.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 23:58
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Please remember the most important factor of weight loss is still energy burned vs energy consumed. Watching carbs just helps us moderate energy consumption, and upping fat helps us burn more energy. The magic behind low carb is nothing more complicated than that.

I think most stalls can be broken if people just carefully examine how much energy they are expending vs energy they are consuming. Even though watching energy consumption is easy enough, it is much harder to accurately gauge how much energy we are burning. Even though one woman of your height age and weight eats 1600 calories and still loses, you may have to go down to 1200 to create a calorie deficit. Our metabolisms are all different. One lady who weighs the same as you might be much more active and have much more metabolically active tissue than you. Old age also is a deterrent for energy usage, old people need less calories than young people. How long we have been on a diet is also very important in determining energy expendature... after extended periods of negative energy balance (fat always leaving the fat cells), your body will naturally cause a hormonal shift which "turns down" the thermostat a bit. Your body will start being less liberal with energy expendature... your body has never heard of a diet, and thinks you are starving a bit. Thyroid function begins to slighly decrease after long enough on any diet.

Here are my recommendations to you.
1) Carefully watch the calories. Even something as small as a tablespoon of oil adds 100 extra calories which need to be burned.

2) If you are doing high intensity aerobics and cardio, I would stop this asap and switch to something less strenuous like power walking for twice as long.
Exercising like a fiend when not on a sugar based metabolism often is counter productive, since you are puting demands on your body for quick fuel... and our chosen way of eating has been specially designed not to include foods which are broken down quickly. Too much intense cardio on low carb often leads to muscle wasting, which then leads to decreased energy expendature, which then leads plateaus. Say you do 300 calories worth of cardio a day, but because you are not eating enough carbs % wise, you wind up over time losing a muscle mass amount which burned 350 calories a day. As you can see from this example, sometimes exercise which is incompatable with your way of eating can actually cause weight gain.
If you are doing intense cardio and wish to keep doing it, consider upping your carbs a bit (preferably right before your exercise).

3) Consider getting your basal metabolism measured:
http://www.healthetech.com/consumer...em_locator.html
This simple and relatively inexpensive test will tell you exactly how many calories you are burning at rest. This will give you a rough idea of your caloric needs.

4) Go to the doctor and check for any health disturbances which would abnormally lower metabolism, such as low thyroid function. While slightly low t3 and t4 levels are somewhat normal on a diet after awhile, hypothyroidism is never normal. If you are hypothyroid because of disease you should get that treated, as it can really interfere with weight loss. If you are hypothyroid because of diet, try taking a week or two off, and even gaining a pound. Putting fat in your fat cells raises leptin levels , and leptin has master control over the thyroid. During starvation (or severe dieting) leptin plummets, along with it thyroid function.

I hope these suggestions help.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 00:27

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:

Well, just as in another thread, I've got to agree with ItstheWoo.

That pretty much is the "silver bullet" of weight loss, in my view.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 08:48
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I agree that everyone is different and the old energy out vrs energy in can be important, but I disagree it's just a matter of cutting calories more and more. For me when I go to 1200 or lower for a few days I stop losing completely. The body needs a certain numebr of claories to perform basic functions such as active transport across membrains, cellular regeneration, muscle repair, upkeep of vital organs and regulatory systems and so on. We are also built for survival. If the body feels there is a shortage of energy and it's a starvation period, it will slow all "non-essential" processes down and hang on to what energy reserves (i.e. fat) it can.

The old "it's just a matter of calories" idea has made some people cut down to where they have 800 or so calories a day, and instead of losing weight they jusst lose health.

If you are having extreamly high calories I agree cutting back a little can help, but dropping way down to 1200, which is below most people's basal rate, can make things worse and just cause people to giv eup when not only there is no weight loss, but now hunger to go with it.

I think cleaning up the diet would help alot more for most people, and at times this means a small reduction in calories as a side effect. Cutting out processed meats, dairy, sodium, and sticking to whole foods with plenty of veggies, fats and protien can do wonders.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 10:05

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185.5/162/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

You mentioned seeing people with similar stats to yours who have lost weight more quickly. They probably had more weight that you to lose and just started with a more cautious goal. My original goal was 155. I changed that to 145 when I hit the high 150s. When I reached 145 I almost changed my goal again to 135 but decided to try this weight out. Sure glad I stayed put. I was 128 till I was 30 and am now wearing the same size pants at age 48, weighing 144. My figure is still changing (for the better) and just this week I received several comments on how good I looked. My friend asked if I was done losing weight yet. Well, I haven't lost anything in two months. The body's just rearranging itself.

Check out these links and you should feel real good about yourself.

http://www.weight.addr.com/yourBMI.html shows your age adjusted BMI as 20.8.

http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm site shows that you are in the 14th percentile in weight for your height and age.

Damn good numbers. Congrats!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 10:57

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Not counting the time I fell off the wagon; last year when I had a stall of 2.5 months, I cut out the following:

- Alcohol
- RS SF candies
- cut back on dairy by 50%
- Ate 4 smaller meals thru the day

It worked...had a whoosh of 3 lbs and then started losing well until I feel off.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 11:27

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Default My way - after two years fight

Oh Poetree,
your story seems so familiar...
I too have three kids, I am 46 years old. As an advantage, blessing I am from a low-carb family. I kept the same 140-145 lbs all of my adult life, and lost the excess weight ofter my three pregnancies easily.
At 44, as a first sign of aging my metabolism slowed down. Despite of my low-carb WOL, despite of my increased activity level (swimming, walking, hiking, rowing etc.) - I gained 35 lbs, and was unable to loose it for two years. This January, as the second sign of aging I experienced insomnia. To fight back - after long research for a natural cure - I started a NEW vigorous exercise program: running - with a goal to finish a half-Marathon in September. Without any previous running experience. Because of the South CA heat the only comfortable time was the very early morning hours.
All this changes was shocking not only for my feet, heart, lung, but my whole body. During the first month I lost 8 lbs without any dieatary changes, and with mostly speed walking (I was not ready to run). In the second month I lost 7 lbs, and started to run.

To make the long story shorter: this September I finished my half-Marathon. During the training my body had learned how to use fat as fuel instead of carb, so I do not need "carb load". I lost 35 lbs, and because I was concentrating on an exercise goal, instead of weight goal, I avodid the frustration from not loosing "enough" lbs, inches.

The most important result was not to finish the half-Marathon, but the miracle I feel every morning: when I greet the rising sun, I reborn, and I am in my 20's again:-)))

My point is not, that running is the ultimate elixir. My point is much more: at 44 your body might need some surprise, something to shake up your metablism. Simply lowering your calories (if you are already in a healthy range) might be not enough. Similar way to have the same exercise routin weeks after week might be not enough either. Dare to change, dare to dream:-)))

I would be more than happy to show before after pictures to illustrate my rejuvenation, but I have not figured out how to do it - yet.

This was my way. I am looking forward to read about YOUR way, good luck:-)

Eva

Last edited by Galadriell : Fri, Dec-12-03 at 11:41.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 11:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

My original goal was 135. I got stuck on 150 for three months, but kept losing inches, so I didn't count it as a stall.
A few weeks ago, I took a long look at myself. I'm in the smallest size I've ever worn as an adult, AND I look great, AND I concluded if I did lose another 15 pounds, I would be unhealthy...where would it come from?
I can tighten and tone more...but hey, who doesn't want to do that?
I found I was a smaller size at a higher weight. Which is fine with me.
So that's why my stats say I'm at goal.
And I agree, your picture looks great! If you want to see mine, click on the profile button.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 12:07

Plan: Keto
Stats: 270/265/170 Male 68 inches
BF:43%/35%/10%
Progress: 5%

5 weeks... I know it wasn't much of a stall... but drinking coffee and jogging CONSISTENTLY (min. 3 x week) helped me jump out... feel better about myself too!