Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-14-24, 00:45

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Weight loss jabs cut risk of heart death by a fifth

Quote:
Weight loss jabs cut risk of heart death by a fifth

Experts call for the injections to be prescribed like statins after study finds they have an astonishing impact on cardiac health

Weight loss jabs cut the risk of heart death by a fifth, a study has found, with medics calling for them to be prescribed like statins.

The research – the largest ever trial of the injections – set out to examine the long-term weight loss impact of Wegovy, which is also licensed as Ozempic to treat diabetes.

But scientists found the jabs had an astonishing impact on heart health, with those taking the drugs for at least three years cutting their risk of heart attack, stroke or cardiac death by 20 per cent.

The findings have been hailed as the biggest breakthrough in cardiac medicine since statins in the 1990s.

Britain’s leading cardiologist, who led the trial and is a government tsar on the prevention of ill-health, said he would recommend a mass rollout of the jabs to save lives.

Millions of middle-aged people with a history of heart disease could be prescribed the weekly injections to cut deaths from one of Britain’s biggest killers.

Experts said the jabs, which were originally designed to treat diabetes, were also showing promise in preventing a host of deadly conditions, with trials examining the impact on Alzheimer’s disease, heart failure and cancer.

Professor John Deanfield, from University College London, told the Congress on Obesity in Venice: “This fantastic trial really is a game-changer.”

He likened the breakthrough to the discovery of statins.

“In the 1990s when statins came in, we finally figured out that there was a class of drugs that would change the biology of this disease,” he told the congress.

“That was a major breakthrough to transform cardiology practice. We now have a class of drugs that could equally transform many chronic diseases of ageing,” he said.

The mechanism appeared to have a direct effect on the heart, independent of the jabs’ impact on weight loss.

The NHS is currently piloting the rollout of the jabs for obese patients, but the vast majority of medication is prescribed privately.

Rishi Sunak is keen to see a wider expansion, with Treasury interest in the impact the jabs could have in reducing long-term sickness and boosting productivity.

The research on 17,000 adults who were overweight or obese found that the risk of heart attack, stroke or cardiac death was cut by 20 per cent for those on semaglutide – the drug known as either Ozempic or Wegovy – for at least three years.

The effect is similar to that of statins, but over a much shorter time frame. The clot-busting drugs have been found to cut deaths by around one quarter in high-risk populations over 20 years.

All those enrolled in the new trial had a BMI of at least 27 and a history of heart attacks, strokes or peripheral arterial disease.

US scientists examining the long-term impact of the jabs on weight loss found they kept working for four years, including among people with the least weight to lose, with average loss of 9.4 per cent of body weight.

Cardiologists from University College London then investigated the impact of the drugs on the heart.

The research involved adults aged 45 or older from 41 countries, half of whom were put on semaglutide.

Prof Deanfield said that in future, the NHS should consider prescribing the jabs to anyone with a history of heart disease with a BMI of 27 or more - paving the way for mass rollout

He is the Government’s champion for personalised prevention, reporting directly to the health secretary on the economic case for stopping diseases early.

The cardiologist said he expected to see the mass rollout on the NHS, once it had been economically evaluated.

Prof Deanfield, who is also director of the National Institute of Cardiovascular Outcomes Research, said he would make “a clear case” to the Health Secretary about the benefits of a wide rollout of the jabs.

“The economics of this is very, very important,” he said, highlighting the potential to reduce taxpayer spending and boost the economy by preventing major diseases.

It follows research that shows obese workers are up to twice as likely to be off sick from work.

Around 8 million people in the UK have heart disease and a similar number take statins.

Prof Deanfield suggested around half of such patients could benefit from the jabs.

The “real excitement” about the findings was the way they showed that medicines that were designed to treat diabetes and obesity could prevent many killer diseases, he said.

Studies are now examining the impact of the jabs on a range of conditions including cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease.

“We are talking about cardiovascular disease but there are other diseases that might benefit from these drugs which are going to be equally exciting” with results on neurological conditions and kidney disease due soon, he said

The study found that the benefits in cutting heart risks were “independent of extent of weight loss.”

Prof Deanfield said: “This suggests that there are potentially alternative mechanisms for that improved cardiovascular outcome with semaglutide beyond weight loss.

“We’re focusing here on weight loss, but quite clearly something else is going on that benefits the cardiovascular system.”

The study found that 6.5 per cent of those who got the drug had a heart attack or stroke or died from a heart-related cause in the three years that followed.

This was a 20 per cent drop from the 8 per cent among those given a dummy shot.

Those on the trial were already taking statins.

Scientists did not establish precisely what mechanism was occurring, but experts suggested it might be targeting a “common biological pathway” such as inflammation that fuels multiple diseases.

Heart disease is one of Britain’s biggest killers, causing a quarter of deaths before the age of 75.

It is estimated to cost the UK £25 billion a year as a result of disability, premature death and informal costs.

Last year the NHS said up to 50,000 people could be eligible for Wegovy on the NHS amid global shortages of the drugs. Tens of thousands of people in the UK have bought them privately.

Prof Jason Halford, president of the European Association for the Study of Obesity said: “I think in the next 10 years we’ll see a radical change in the approach to health care.

“Once the costs come down, then the cost savings to the NHS will be significant.

“There are already people in the Treasury thinking about the savings to the economy because of the opportunity to boost productivity. You need to get your workforce as fit as possible.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ath-by-a-fifth/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-14-24, 04:01

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

This is SO messed up. I was constantly told my autoimmune conditions have nothing to do with my diet.

While these people improved their conditions by not eating so much junk.

Or are they convinced statins and weight loss drugs have CURATIVE qualities?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-14-24, 14:36

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Hmmmmmmm. Seems to me that the rate of heart disease is still rising despite a record-setting distribution of statins over many years or what is referred to as "clot-busting drugs" in the article. Why? And why will these new drugs also be ineffective? The numbers are all based on calculated risk of heart disease, stroke, and Alzheimer's. The calculations still use lipid profiles and other markers that are questionable as valid heart health markers. They've been discounted by many researchers over the past few years. If they were valid measures, why have we not seen a decrease in heart and CVD diseases since they've been prescribed?

Pharma must have ghost written this article.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-14-24, 17:25

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

EVERY drug has an unwanted side effect.

Find the diet that works for you, stick to it, and lose weight.

I tried a few different ones that didn't work until I found Keto (we called it Atkins Induction back then).

I'm the only person in my immediately family under 300 pounds. I saw my parents die too young due to obesity related causes, and decided I was having too much fun living to die early.

I doubt if one diet is best for everyone, try until it works, stick to it and live longer
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-15-24, 03:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Pharma must have ghost written this article.

They have set up whole websites and taken over people's blogs and social media accounts, paying tons of money on "advertising."

They should not be allowed to advertise in the US. Not now and not in the first place. It should be harder to fool a doctor.

It's dead easy to fool a consumer.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-17-24, 19:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
<...snip...>

Way too many people, are simply herding animals, and will buy anything the media sells them.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-18-24, 02:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Way too many people, are simply herding animals, and will buy anything the media sells them.

While very true, Bob, I also think there is a counter-tendency, where people who seek the truth can also find it more easily. Of course, they have to know where to look, and need to be taught.

This is part of the deliberate undermining of public education. The pendulum is already starting to swing the other way, led by Kansas realizing they were graduating high school students who couldn't get into college.

But we don't know how many generations have crept into the "lose" column by not getting a decent education. I made such good grades they put me into challenging classes. So I got a good public education. Took AP and CLEP and got a local scholarship for my SAT scores, letting me graduate from community college in one year instead of two. Though I do not recommend the way I did it High stress but low money, but at least there was help.

That was before the corporations demanded people do their own training, on their own dime, as a way of outsourcing their vetting of good candidates. It mired more people in debt. But most of them continued their education.

That is also kicking in as I see Youtube comments on nutrition often make sense now
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-18-24, 09:59

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
They have set up whole websites and taken over people's blogs and social media accounts, paying tons of money on "advertising."

They should not be allowed to advertise in the US. Not now and not in the first place. It should be harder to fool a doctor.

Agree that drug advertising should be banned. Unfortunately, there is so much money involved that the financial incentives have all but negated any desire to understand and promote health facts. What many don’t realize is that much of the health information and beliefs are being formed by AI engines programmed to write articles in support of many unhealthy yet extremely lucrative practices and chemicals available today. We don’t always realize that the public is being programmed to adopt these belief systems. Be very wary and skeptical of anything that seems too good to be true.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-23-24, 05:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
What many don’t realize is that much of the health information and beliefs are being formed by AI engines programmed to write articles in support of many unhealthy yet extremely lucrative practices and chemicals available today.

The people who need to hear it the most are also the least likely to run across it. Because what our "ant overlords" want most is people hearing what they want to hear, so we back it up with money.

We literally invest in our beliefs.

The relief of getting something convenient we have been assured will help our health is increased when people pay more for that reassurance and the way it "fits" good habits into their day, when it does not.

But it makes them feel like they are still staying on top of things. But who lists all the things they are supposed to be on top of?

Knowing what's in our food is as important as electricity. Why are we leaving it to a bunch of gamblers in the financial district?

Last edited by WereBear : Fri, May-24-24 at 02:49.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-23-24, 13:29

BF:

Quote:
While very true, Bob, I also think there is a counter-tendency, where people who seek the truth can also find it more easily. Of course, they have to know where to look, and need to be taught.
<...snip...>

I agree, there is so much good information out here. But then again, there seems to be even more bad information, designed to sell something. But that's not new, I remember when "four out of five doctors recommend Camel cigarettes" which years later "for those who smoke" was added after they got into trouble.

I remember people dressed up like doctors, telling people to smoke certain brands of cigarettes to relieve their tension.

Today there is so much good and bad out there, if you are just looking for something to confirm what you want to believe, it's out there.

I don't know if people are taught critical thinking. When I went to school, many years ago, it was mainly rote memorization. I remember that in 1066 AD, The Norman Invasion led by William The Conqueror defeated Edward The Confessor and became the King Of England. But I was never taught the cause, politics, and how it changed England. And I don't know why I remember that or why I need to do so.

We weren't taught to think for ourselves. Luckily, a had a father who did.

So for many, perhaps most people, finding the right information is impossible. Sometimes I find it difficult.

Most people are herding and will be manipulated by the mass media. You want Ozempic? Moo. Air fryer? Moo. Giant pickup truck to never haul anything bigger than a week's groceries? Moo. Oleo instead of butter? Moo. The latest hairstyle? Moo. Essential carbs? Moo. The same sneakers that the stars wear? Moo. Life-threatening cosmetic surgeries? Moo. Collectable dolls? Moo. Low-fat foods? Moo. Seed oil instead of animal fat? Moo. Breakfast cereal that is mostly sugar? Moo. Coffee “creamer” that is mostly high fructose corn syrup? Moo. Moo. Moo. Moo.

Sorry to be so negative. Wake up! They are just trying to separate you from your money. Don't let it go so easily. Do your research. Is there a better option? If you don't need it, your default should be 'don't buy it'.

Do your research, but not just the articles that reinforce what you want. Especially, if interested in something, look for the negative articles as well as the positive ones.

End of rant.