Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 16:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 122/116/75
BF:
Progress:
Default Newbie

Hi all,
I'm pretty new to low-carbing, have been doing Atkins for two weeks and have lost 4 kgs. As I have so much weight to lose, I will probably stay on induction for a while longer (not having too much trouble sticking to it, though I'd love a piece of fruit now and then). It's great to have somewhere to come and get support especially predominantly from Aus and NZ. I used an online support group when I gave up smoking...it truly helped, and I'm sure this forum will also.
I do have a question though... If I am in ketosis, and I mean any level of ketosis, does this mean I am actually burning fat?
I've become a bit obsessed about checking for ketones, and the response on the strips varies greatly thru the day...sometimes it is very pale, other times it is marked, so I'm hoping that even when the strip is pale, I'm still burning fat.
I also went for my first 2 km walk this am, and I can tell you, that's great for me as I loathe exercise, but I managed OK, although that last half a k hurt a little!
Looking forward to getting more info and food ideas,
Goddess
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 16:44
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Goddess, welcome!

Do visit the other sections of the board, too, to take full advantage of this great place. The orange bar at the top of the screen is very helpful, especially "Low Carb Tips." You might also check "Hot Links" in the Newbies Questions forum. They are links to former threads where people have had many questions answered.

I'd also suggest you introduce yourself to everyone else in "Introduce yourself."
Quote:
If I am in ketosis, and I mean any level of ketosis, does this mean I am actually burning fat?

Well as you've just lost 4 kg in two weeks, I'd say you are definitely burning fat. But to answer your question, ketosis does not necessarily mean you are burning fat.

Personally, I believe the stix are a big waste of time and money. Eating a fatty meal, drinking alcohol, being dehydrated or starvation can all put you into ketosis.

I'm not suggesting you are doing any of that - you are very obviously burning fat.

The colour of the stix doesn't matter. As long as there is any colour change, you are in ketosis.

But why do you need to pee on a piece of plastic when you know you are doing a wonderful job with the weight loss? Are you starting to get the impression I think the ketostix are a waste of time?

Cheers, matey, glad you've joined us!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 17:17

Stats: 145/145/132 Female 173cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Welcome

Hi Goddess!

A fellow Victorian here. How are you? I noticed you mentioned a quit smoking support forum. I wonder if you could give me the details as I am desperately trying to give them up too.

Thanks
Rose
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 01:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 158/154/121
BF:
Progress: 11%

hello goddess

i'm a newbie here as well, so hi from me! congratulations on the 4 kilos, that's wonderful progress so quickly! i haven't actually lost a lot of weight but my body shape has changed quite a bit, so i feel positive about that.

the exercise is probably going to be a big change in your lifestyle if you're not used to it. i go in the mornings before i have a chance to say "no" to myself, or to make excuses. i also quite love being out alone in the park at that time, it's therapeutic. once i've got myself into a routine i find that i feel really out of sorts if i can't make it for any reason.

as for the ketone change on the urinalysis strips, i agree about not using them too vigorously. actually i find that my urine is quite smelly (gross i know - sorry!), and that is an indication of ketosis in itself, so perhaps you could use that as a rule of thumb marker if you are concerned.

cheers
puzzlegirl
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 23:59

Stats: 122/116/75
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks for the welcome

Thanks everyone,
Rose, the group I used to help me give up smoking was AS3, otherwise known as alt.support.stop-smoking, which I think you will find at the following url
http://www.accessnable.com.au/newsg.htm
good luck with giving up the cigs...and the carbs!
goddess