Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 00:05
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Default Pain in Right Lower Torso ~Help~!

Hi, just finished the 4th day of Induction~ and this evening I started getting this pain in the lower right quadrant of my torso. At first it was sporadic, but definitely a stab of pain.. and I was curious as to what it was, but not concerned. Since then, the pain intensity & frequency has increased, and it IS concerning me. I have had my gallbladder out for 20 yrs. now, and have no appendix either. Any input on what this could be? Anyone else have anything similiar? I am also experiencing headaches from hell, and gastric distress to put it delicately, altho I realize that the LC way of eating is detoxing my body from the gunk I had ate before, i.e. carb- crazy heheh. I would appreciate any posts on this and thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 05:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Headaches and gastric troubles are quite common in the first week of LC'ing, your body is detoxing from all the carbs and fighting about losing them as a quick source of easy energy. It may take a few more days for it to get used to the idea that it now must burn fat. As far as the pain in your lower abdomen, I am not doctor, but it sounds like the pain I have when ovulating. If it still is bothersome, a quick trip to the doctor can never hurt.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 08:33
Registered Member

Default Thx Talon

I realize that my body is detoxing, and the headaches and gastric upsets are to be expected almost. The pain in my right side tho, isn't due to ovulation. I know what that feels like, and this is something entirely new. Although it is not hurting like it was last night, some pain is still there. I will keep tuned into it, and see what happens.I just thought that someone else might have had similiar experience due to starting LC'ing. Thanks again~
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 09:30
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

Um, at the risk of being too personal ... are you constipated? Seriously, a bowel distended by a ball of hard, dry stool can and will cause painful spasms in its effort to expel the mass. At best, it's uncomfortable until the mass is finally eliminated, but if it continues, the condition can progress to a situation known as impaction which is serious, and requires urgent medical attention. Yes, constipation is associated with stomach upset, nausea and headaches. And just generally feeling awful

Have a read through the article Low Carbing and Intestinal Health, which you can find by clicking on Low Carb Tips from the orange menu bar near the top of the page. There are some suggestions that may be helpful, if you think The Big C might be a problem for you.

For some people, the change to LC eating from previous ..... especially if previous was a lot of refined "white" foods like bread, bagels, rice krispies, special K and pastas ..... can precipitate a few weeks of intestinal "rebellion".

If the pain persists, and you continue to feel unwell overall, a trip to the dr. is definitely in order. If you have a fever, or if you're vomiting, don't wait, get to the dr. ASAP.

Hope you're feeling better soon

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 09:31
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

suze_c, it's really important that you go to see a doctor. The pain could be totally unrelated to low-carbing and just coincidental so please, please see your doctor.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 14:10
Registered Member

Default thx gals~

Doreen, trust me it is nothing to do with the big "c", I am not having any problems w/ that, and it was also suggested that it could be something with my ovaries... it is not in that area. It is like it is directly across from my navel, in a line, in the middle of the lower part of my torso. I dunno,... maybe my body composition with "all the extra" makes my parts be in different places I have not noticed the pain so much today,wish the rest of the pains in my body would leave so quickly If it continues to be a problem, I will get something done with it, I was just wondering if anyone else had ever had anything similiar.