Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-09, 07:40

Plan: Metabolic Typing Diet
Stats: 287/259/180 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

Dawn, I think people are just trying to be helpful. This is a low-carb site and people would be pretty surprised by someone eating fruit and cereal, especially when they're just starting out. I hope you won't mind my saying this, but as someone who was normal weight as a child, then forced into dieting by her mother when she got a little chubby as a pre-adolescent, and who has struggled with weight all of her adult life, I don't think you're eating enough calories. If you really want to take off weight and keep it off, you must eat enough calories, preferably of the right sort for your body, to keep your metabolism going. The author of The Diet Cure, who runs a clinic in California, believes we need a minimum of 2500 calories a day; otherwise, our bodies just adjust to the low-calorie intake (have I experienced this!) and consequently slow our metabolisms.

My problem has been ignoring all the lowfat and vegetarian messages we are blasted with (my practitioner is of this mentality), and just accepting that my body needs protein and fat. When I eat the right foods, the weight comes off; when I don't, it comes back or I stop losing. I need to lose another 20 pounds before some very necessary surgery, surgery which should make it possible for me to have greater energy and be more active. I am amazed that I have lost the 24 pounds that I have because I have never been able to lose weight before without starving myself and extreme exercise. I am no longer capable of the extreme exercise and I have not been starving myself.

I hope you can do some reading and find what works for you. I'm not sure Atkins is right for everyone (any comments about this, members?), though it sure seems to work for a lot of people. I'm waiting for a copy of New Diet Revolution, but I would recommend The Metabolic Typing Diet and The Diet Cure to anyone.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-09, 08:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/225/185 Female 5"9
BF:
Progress: 58%

Great post Tobysgirl. Atkins is my diet of choice, because it works for me. but it DIDNT work for me until I learned how to do it every day. the most important thing was to let go of the "full fat fear" LOL. real sour cream is allowed. full fat ceasar dressing on my chix ceasar is a life saver. avacados are my BFF. (well, 1/2 of one per day is) It comes off slowly for me now, about 2 pounds a week) but the beauty of it is, I am NEVER hungry. I dont think about food, and I live my life. This was all I ever needed. Freedom from the "obsession" of dieting.
No offense kjun, but dont get all bummed out because people are trying to help you. This is a support site, you are asking for help and saying you are eating things that are defintely not allowed on Atkins, people are going to try to support you. Kimbal would never hurt a fly - she just did what i did when i read Banana...i went WHAT?!?!?
There are so many good options out there. Atkins is not the kind of lifestyle you can adapt to by eating chicken, cheese, and eggs all the time. you will get bored, or hungry, or just hate it after a few weeks. Maybe you should try to get out there and find ways to make Atkins your own. I learned how to make a pizza crust with cauliflower, egg, and mozzerella cheese! Delish, and super low carb.
I have a different kind of omelet every morning. sometimes its cheddar and avacado, or spinach and feta, or just ham and cheese. geting creative will really help.
just try not to be too sensitive, we want to help you, like people helped us.