Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-08, 06:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 186/186/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default What can I eat or not eat

I started a low carb plan yesterday (Atkins) and after reading the info on various thyroid sites I am at a loss as to whether I am supposed to eat more carbs or less.

I'm on 100mcg thyroxine a day ( is this high, low or average) and have been steadily putting on weight since I had a radio-active pill for hyperthyroidism about 5 years ago.

there seems to be too much conflicting information about what to eat, not eat. Im sure I read that you should limit foods with iodine in them as it can conflict with thyroxine. If this is so then high protien/low carb is surely not the answer?

Completely lost now as to which diet plan would be best for me afterall.

I love Atkins, and have done it before , because I love eggs,cheese chicken etc but am concerned that if I eat too much foods containing iodine it can reverse what the thyroxin is supposed to be doing.

buttons
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-08, 08:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/166/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default try the paleolithic diet??

Just taking a quick look at the acceptable foods on a low iodine diet, I'd suggest you go over to the paleolithic forum and talk to them there.

I've never done this program, but I think it might be more in line with your dietary restrictions. You can definately do Atikins with no cheese or eggs. I go long periods of times where eggs just don't taste good so I avoid them. However, it might be easier to choose something doesn't normally allow these, excecially when looking for recipes and ideas.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=107

I think this link will get you there.

Good Luck,
zodea
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-08, 09:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Don't worry about iodine. I've been taking thyroid for 20 years and it isn't contraindicated in the diet at all. Taking iodine supplements is another thing, I wouldn't supplement it.

If your thyroid dose isn't optimal then losing weight will be a struggle, if not impossible, but eating low carb will make it at least somewhat easier to maintain.

You probably want to get your TSH to 1 or less. I'm finding it makes a HUGE difference in how I feel and how well my metabolism works. What I told my doctor was I wanted to increase my dose to be at the low end of the TSH range because I was still having hypothyroid symptoms. He agreed to let me try it.

A dose of 100 mcg for a complete replacement is very small, unless you're teeny tiny. I weight 165 and I'm taking 150 mcg right now.

You need to make sure you get copies of your blood tests. Just call your doctors office, ask to speak to the nurse and ask for copies to be sent (or volunteer to go and pick them up). My doctor's offices have always been happy to give them to me. I keep them in a three ring binder for reference.

As far as diet is concerned, low carb is great. Even if your thyroid is too undertreated to let you lose weight, you'll find it easy to maintain your weight. Some people claim carbs help their thyroid work better but you had RAI done and probably have no functionality left in your thyroid, so this doesn't apply to you. Same with the iodine. Your thyroid gland uses iodine to make thyroid hormone, but your gland is dead. Don't worry about it.

Just work on getting on an optimal dose of thyroid meds, stick to a low carb diet and it'll all work out. You probably won't lose weight fast ever, but you CAN lose weight if you get the thyroid treated optimally.

Oh yes, make sure you take your thyroid meds on an empty stomach. Don't take it with calcium or fiber of any sort, it'll impair the uptake.

Also, if you aren't an expert on thyroid issues take the time to read up. This is your life and you are the one who will have to see that you get appropriate treatment. You might need to fire your doctor if you don't get appropriate treatment. Or find a different doctor to treat your hypothyroid. ND's, NP's and doctors specializing in natural hormone replacement therapy are usually more than happy to treat thyroid conditions and they're not afraid of lowering your TSH even below the standard range, if it makes you feel good.

One last warning. Don't convey to your doctor that you want a higher dose because you want to lose weight. This sets off alarm bells with them and they'll think you're misusing the drug. Give them reasons like you're too fatigued, or list other symptoms of hypothyroid that you are experiencing.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Sat, Oct-11-08 at 09:25.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-08, 12:49
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Nancy is 100% correct. Iodine will not be a problem for you. I've been taking thyroid meds for over 30 years and have never had a problem with iodine.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-08, 16:40

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for that.

Dont want to sound dim but what is TSH? I understand the T4 and T3 better now since reading up on it. I've always just believed the doctor when he says Im ok even though I dont really feel thats so.

My resting pulse is 56 which I have always considered to be a factor in not being able to shift the weight but all I get from the doctor is that I should exercise a lot harder to get it up, When I told him that if I exercise too hard my head thumps like its got a pulse in it he just said well dont strain yourself that much...

buttons
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-08, 17:55
Never Give Up!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons
Thanks for that.

Dont want to sound dim but what is TSH? I understand the T4 and T3 better now since reading up on it. I've always just believed the doctor when he says Im ok even though I dont really feel thats so.

My resting pulse is 56 which I have always considered to be a factor in not being able to shift the weight but all I get from the doctor is that I should exercise a lot harder to get it up, When I told him that if I exercise too hard my head thumps like its got a pulse in it he just said well dont strain yourself that much...
Here's a good explanation of TSH:

http://www.thyroid-cancer.net/topics/what+is+TSH

"What is TSH?

TSH, formally known as thyroid stimulating hormone or thyrotropin, is a hormone that is produced by the pituitary gland. The pituitary gland is a small gland that is located in the center of the head, just beneath the bottom of the brain. It is often referred to as the "master gland" of the endocrine system, as it produces a number of different hormones that act in turn to control the function of many of the other endocrine glands. TSH produced by the pituitary gland enters the bloodstream and travels to the thyroid gland where it binds to special structures called receptors. This binding process stimulates the thyroid gland to take up iodine to produce thyroid hormone which is then released into the bloodstream. In turn, thyroid hormone in the bloodstream travels to the pituitary gland where it acts to regulate the release of TSH.

This feedback loop between TSH and thyroid hormone can be somewhat difficult to visualize. There are some examples that may help to explain it more clearly.

Thermostat and Furnace
Pretend that the pituitary gland is a thermostat and the thyroid gland is a furnace. If it gets to be too cold, the body turns up the thermostat, causing the pituitary gland to produce more TSH. This stimulates the thyroid gland to produce more thyroid hormone, which generates more heat. If it gets to be too warm because there is too much thyroid hormone, the body automatically turns down the thermostat, decreasing the amount of TSH produced by the pituitary gland which in turn decreases the amount of thyroid hormone produced by the pituitary gland.

The Weight-bearing Spring
Imagine that TSH is a coil or spring that is standing upright and that thyroid hormone is a weight that sits on top of the spring. When there is an adequate amount of thyroid hormone present, the TSH is compressed to its normal length. If there is too much thyroid hormone present, the TSH is pressed down and becomes smaller. If there is not enough thyroid hormone present, the TSH expands and becomes larger."
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-08, 21:28
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah, a heart rate that slow is another indicator of hypothyroidism. Like I said, get yourself educated, get a doctor that's going to work with you to get your thyroid levels not just in range, but optimized for you. Otherwise, your life will be miserable, you won't have energy, you'll carry a lot of excessive weight and you might get heart disease!
http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2...ive-update.html
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-08, 15:28

BF:
Progress:

Right I went to the surgery and asked for a blood test form today. It says on it

TFT on T4
Cholesterol

Tube A - cardiac, liver, U&E

Tube C - HbA1c

Tube D - Fasting, Glucose

Extra tests - TFT, Lipids

Had my blood pressure taken and it is 120 over 60

I'm 54 and on Thyroxine

Is there anything else I need to go back and ask to be tested for?

When I get the results Im going to ask for a print of them and past ones and see the doctor I think is most sympathetic. Then I might go and see some-one else for a second opinion.

x
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-08, 10:18

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Free T3 and Free T4 as well as antibodies also.

I HIGHLY reccommend this website http://forums.realthyroidhelp.com and this list of labs http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.co...mended-labwork/
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 15:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/162.5/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:way to much!!
Progress: 5%

yeah, I so can't picture the thyroid thing...... but like was said earlier don't worry about iodine. I take 100 mg of L-thyroxin and my doc also has me taking a iodine supplement I believe its also 100 mg, but when I started (I am a newbie, 2.5 yrs. ago) my TSH was through the roof!!!! Like way way above normal. My heart rate was also slow, and I was ovulating maybe once every 6-12 months... but now my pulse is normal like 66(resting) and Tom comes every month and I also have a beautiful healthy 15 month old to boot. You so can loose weight with Atkins!!

Hey wait ..... Does anyone else take iodine supps?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-08, 10:19

BF:
Progress:

Having a baby isnt an option for me to lose weight Im afraid

Might try some iodine though. have an appointmet next week so will discus it with the doc.

x
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-08, 09:06
Experimenter

BF:

Iodine isn't going to do anything for you. You don't have a functioning thyroid gland to convert it into thyroid hormone.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-08, 15:12

BF:
Progress:

What can I do then to speed up my metabolism?

x
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-08, 16:42
Never Give Up!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons
What can I do then to speed up my metabolism?

x
All you need to do is stay on a good, low carb eating plan!

Adding some regular exercise helps a lot, too.