Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-08, 09:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

A roll in the hay? I'll take one! Got any cute farmers available?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-08, 09:48

Plan: Atkins (Strict Induction)
Stats: 183/120/115 Female 5'7.5"
BF:21.6%
Progress: 93%

LOL Nancy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
A roll in the hay? I'll take one! Got any cute farmers available?
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-08, 17:00
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Well, I guess if you wanted to kill your own thread you found a good way to do it.

Nancy,

As far as I'm concerned, the thread was 'killed' by you and a few others who, rather than *ever* responding to what I actually wrote when I began the thread, hijacked it rather than start their own. It would have been one thing for you to first respond to what I wrote and then add other comments - but you chose not to do that. Fine. Free Country. But it's equally free for me to refuse to be bullied by you or anyone else who feels they have a right to respond as they choose - but whose noses get put out of joint when someone else with whom you don't agree does so.

Quote:
I'm reminded of that SNL skit, "Talk to the Hand!"

If only! <g>

Lisa
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-08, 17:49

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
Nancy,

As far as I'm concerned, the thread was 'killed' by you and a few others who, rather than *ever* responding to what I actually wrote when I began the thread, hijacked it rather than start their own. It would have been one thing for you to first respond to what I wrote and then add other comments - but you chose not to do that. Fine. Free Country. But it's equally free for me to refuse to be bullied by you or anyone else who feels they have a right to respond as they choose - but whose noses get put out of joint when someone else with whom you don't agree does so.

If only! <g>

Lisa

awriter - you have made some useful comments in this thread, but it is also important to figure out the 'culture' of new forums you come into, and probably important to somewhat go along with whatever that culture is. Raised eyebrows and strong exceptions are the more normal way of disagreeing on this site. I hope you stay, but you somewhat have to adapt to us, rather than us to you.

ps I think this a a good enough site, to learn to adapt to. Hope you do too.
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-08, 17:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ok, lets try to limit the conversation to what you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
Last night's 60 Minutes piece on gastric bypass surgery was an eye-opener. Turns out one of the unexpected side effects is that type 2 diabetes in severely obese patients is *instantly* reversed (as in, 4 or so days after surgery) - BEFORE any weight loss occurs. One day a patient is obese and diabetic, the next the patient is still obese but not diabetic. And that reversal now appears to be permanent - that is, a cure.

Yes, I saw some of it too, but was mostly watching something else.
Quote:
This has struck so many doctors as odd that one doctor in Brazil decided to experiment on diabetic mice. He performed a bypass and diabetes disappeared. Then, to *prove* cause and effect, he reversed the procedure. Diabetes instantly reappeared.

Golly, that's interesting.
Quote:
Researchers say that it seems that bypassing the duodendum is the key here, but my question is - why? What is it about food going through the stomach (or not) that is changing insulin sensitivity and BS differences in such a major way? What is the biological mechanism in operation here?

I guess we'll have to wait and see!

Quote:
Currently this surgery is only available to the morbidly obese as a last resort, which is understandable despite the mortality risk statistics major improvement due to new, less invasive techniques. But wouldn't it be wonderful if diabetes researchers find a way to isolate the mechanism and somehow duplicate the results without the surgery?

Lisa

Yes. It will be wonderful.

Well, looks like we've about exhausted that subject according to the parameters you've set.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-08, 21:19

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Quote:
But of course, that wasn't the point of the 60 Minutes segment or this thread. In those cases the point was to look at the instant remission of diabetes (without any weight loss) caused by this surgery and to begin to ask why, so that perhaps a cure can be found that doesn't include any surgery at all.

Instant remission perhaps, but can you believe everything you hear on TV?? That 60 minutes piece was promoted by somebody, so it is more than likely biased information.

Also, trade the remission for what........? Gastric by-pass is proven to lower iron absorption, that is a side effect of the surgery. Patients who get the surgery have to sign a document saying they were told this before they can have the surgery. Poor iron absorption can lead to leukemia, among other health issues. I'll take my chances with the diabetes and no surgery, if I had to make such a choice and knowing what I know about it all.....
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-08, 22:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 356/233/175 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
I can't believe what I'm reading!

awriter, you REALLY need to lighten up. You can't FORCE things in life to go your own way. I'm astonished at this.

This board, anyway, has a wonderful give and take and the chance to explore more varied opinions is welcomed.

No one owns a thread. They evolve (think "anyone else sick of reading about oopsies" thread. It became a photoshop extravaganza and what could have been nasty was a riot!)

Yes, you have a right to discuss what you want. If we're not giving you that, you, too, have the right to go elsewhere.

Please accept that we might not fit into the box you've drawn for this thread.

Oh, Pulllllease! This board is dominated by a few know-it-alls who bully people around all the time-if you're not a walking encyclopedia of lowcarb knowledge, don't even think about posting something that you haven't spent three weeks researching-there are exceptions to this, I've met a few great people on this board, but this is exactly why I stopped posting here-it became a giant yawn to watch the know-it-all veterans of this site stroke themselves with their intellectual discussion of the latest lowcarb theories. Get over it and get on with the diet! And let dissenters have a real voice without being subtly bashed (or not so subtly for that matter). Go AWriter! I think you're right on!**** Stepping back into lurkdome, going back to the "fun" board

ETA: Oh, and yes, I did call it a diet, using the word in the sense of what one eats on a daily basis. I know it's a way of life-but I'm sure someone's getting ready to correct me any minute now!

AWriter, I jacked the thread, sorry, just couldn't stand back and watch it...Take care! And PS-I'm type II, and if it could cure me, I'd give it serious consideration! There are "serious" complications associated with ALL surgeries-I had a cardiac arrest w/DIC and coded on the table during my c-section from a very rare, unpredictable complication. Does that mean that people should not have c-sections?! Please!

Last edited by ppuffy3859 : Thu, Apr-24-08 at 22:47.
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-08, 01:39

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppuffy3859
Oh, Pulllllease! This board is dominated by a few know-it-alls who bully people around all the time-if you're not a walking encyclopedia of lowcarb knowledge, don't even think about posting something that you haven't spent three weeks researching-there are exceptions to this, I've met a few great people on this board, but this is exactly why I stopped posting here-it became a giant yawn to watch the know-it-all veterans of this site stroke themselves with their intellectual discussion of the latest lowcarb theories.

I'm hardly a 'veteran' and I rarely state anything as a definitive fact unless it relates directly to my own experience. ("Doing X had Y effect on me personally".) It was just jarring trying to read an otherwise interesting thread when every second post was "No, don't discuss that, discuss this."

I can understand if you're frustrated with the board culture for other reasons, but it wasn't just the 'vets' annoyed by this.
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-08, 08:31
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

The thing I find amazing about the 60 minutes piece is that this is being reported like it is something new and just discovered. It isn't.

To make a long story short, my parents offered to pay for GBP for me in 1992 or 1993. I did a great deal of research, did talk to a surgeon as well as several people who'd had it, and decided to pass. The particular surgeon I talked to was a family friend who did the occasional GBP. The most compelling thing he said was that every Type II diabetic he'd done the surgery on immediately had normal blood glucose levels. This has been reported in the literature on GBP for at least a decade -- I've read journal articles reporting it. But, I never saw any journal article that was written specifically about the reversal of Type II, that was simply one of the points of data covered as a surgical outcome. Additionally, and this is important, *not all patients saw their blood glucose levels return to normal* even when having the same surgery performed by the same surgeon. My (now weak) recollection is that about 20% of people didn't see reversal of Type II, and these people were classed as "severely Type II" because of consistent, exceptionally high blood sugar levels that didn't seem to respond to drugs or diet. (I doubt they were eating a low carb diet!)

Here is a report on duodenal jejunal bypass, which is both reversible and does not cause weight loss. And here is a study that is being conducted and recruiting volunteers.