Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 05:07
Registered Member

Plan: FatLocity (as of 10 March 02)
Stats: 291/276/175
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Great Australian Food Database

Hi everyone.. I found this great online database of Australian Food products (which includes all the labelling info including carbs).

I have already found it very useful..... did you know that Red Rooster BBQ chicken (1/2 chicken) has 21 grams carbs..... (9.3g sugar)......./ARRRGGGHHHHHH... I've been eating these thinking they were ok???

Its great to find a good site in METRIC and with foods we understand.

Hope you find it useful. Those of us using fitday can build a good selection of custom food using this site.

http://www.dietclub.com.au/foods/

Kim
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 05:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/My Own
Stats: 97/83/68
BF:
Progress: 48%

ARGH is right ... I have Allan Borushek's Pocket Calorie Counter that has a limited carb counter at the back and it says in there that RR chook has no carbs unless you eat the stuffing - are you sure the one you looked at wasn't counting the stuffing?

MissBecca
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 05:25
Registered Member

BF:

Further to my previous reply, I've now looked at the website and it looks like they've put up the Red Rooster chook stats as the product comes - ie including stuffing. According to my counter, 1/2 BBQ chicken including stuffing has 14g carb - the RR might have richer stuffing (so more carb) or maybe they put a little sugar in the basting stuff. I've eating a half chook minus stuffing twice in the last 5 days and have still managed to lose 3kg - so I think you should take heart!!!

MissBecca
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 05:28
Registered Member

BF:

Me AGAIN!

I just looked up normal rotisseried chicken (not RR brand) on that site and it says the breast 1/4 has 1.5g carb (0g sugar). I suspect this is the reading without stuffing, but assumes that there is some carb in the basting sauce.

MissBecca
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 05:34
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thank you !!!

Whew... didn't eat the stuffing. That's a relief. I'm hoping the rotisseried chicken I buy locally is ok. I might call them tomorrow and ask them what's in their basting. Seems like Red Rooster has quite a lot of sugar in their basting.

Thanks
I'm really happy to have found such a comprehensive australian database.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 05:46
Registered Member

BF:

I think some of the entries in the database are incomplete. I just looked up sushi california rolls out of interest (i really like them but they have lots of rice = carb), and no carb count is listed. Odd ...
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 05:48
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up

Way to go, Kim!
I've bookmarked the site and will now be using it often.
Thanks a bunch!

Rosebud
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 05:57
Registered Member

BF:
Default Dreaming of sushi

Sushi.. yum.. i miss that.

Safe to say though that anything with rice would be a thing of the past.

I have steered my sushi passion over to the sashimi.... lucky soy and wasabi in small doses are ok.

Kim
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 20:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/193/160
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Thankyou Kim!

This is a great site!

TY so much for sharing it with us.

/weeps for long lost sushi
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 06:30

Plan: FatLoCity
Stats: 85/80/60
BF:
Progress: 20%

hmmmm

i visited the kfc website and they give different carb counts for their orginal chicken, who to believe??

i will contact KFC and ask why their count differs from that of an independant operative.

Also the Family Circle fat, fibre and carb count book agreed with KFC

i have the alan whatever his name is diet book and he slams Atkins and low carbing. I have written to him but did not get a reply. This was back in september when i first started to low carb. There was no references in his book so i asked where he had gotten the information he had about low carbing, i also said that it is important to source everything that is printed if it is claiming to be scientific and espec if it is of a medical nature. As he did not reply i dont know where he got his info ( such as the body can only pass out 100 cals worth of fat as ketones and that low carbing puts you into ketoacidois!!!!!! not ketosis,and other little gems like this)

of course none of that means that the www.diet club site is in anyway trying to mislead or has its facts wrong, i just dont like that alan dude.

thanks kim for sharing again...