Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-20-04, 07:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/203/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default Grrrrrr I'm Stalled

Grrrrr... I hate the stalling part. I have lost 115lbs. in 7 months and I am definitely stalled. I did go off Atkins for about 3 weeks because I am TTC and my dr. told me to go off Atkins because it will be harder for me to conceive. Then I found this forum and went right back on Induction and I'm staying there until pregnant. I excercise like a fiend and I just can't get past this darn plateau. Any advice???
Thanks, Jill
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-20-04, 14:34

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Talking hold on

Dear Jill, no real advice, just amazed at how far you have come.

Yoy should be very proud. We know that low carb works, so all we can do
when stalled is stay calm. I always remind myself that at least I am not gaining like I was on low fat. Good luck getting pregant, you will be a lovely slim mamma!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-20-04, 16:27
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Jill,

How about posting some of your regular menus? That way someone here may well have some suggestions for you.

Meanwhile, have you seen The Plateau Buster's Checklist? Maybe something there will help.

All the best to you.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-04, 07:16
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

A lot of us who have lost a lot of weight -- over 100 pounds -- but still have a lot left to lose find that our rate of weight loss has really slowed down. It most cases, it has slowed down significantly more than can be explained by the fact that we are now smaller and therefore require fewer calories to maintain our weight. I think that losing that much weight is stressful on our bodies and they start to fight back; they need some time to recover.

In my case, I lost the first 80 pounds relatively easily by just low carbing and exercising. Each of the next 40 pounds I lost has been a struggle, requiring me to consciously limit the quantity of food I eat. I can't do that all the time, but I try to do it for part of each month. I just looked back over my weight records for the past year and I have lost 27 pounds during that time, almost exactly 1/2 pound a week. Of course, it hasn't been steady. I've gone through three and four month periods where I lost nothing at all and I've had other months where I lost six or seven pounds. I'd like to be losing a lot faster, but even though my weight loss is slow, those small losses have added up over the year.

There have been a couple of threads on this in the Triple Digits Club (TDC). I'll do a search and see if I can find them and send you the link. One person who has successfully overcome this issue by carefully counting calories in and out is UpTheHill (Lynda). You might look for her journal. I very much admire what she did, but haven't been able to get my head into doing it myself, so I plug along losing slowly.

Edited to add:
There are two threads in the TDC that I remember on this topic (click here and here).
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-27-04, 06:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/168/140 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress:

I do have some advice regarding vitamis before conceiving, really really important trust me. Please go get those pregency vitamins and take them now ""YES YES" before you get pregent. At conseption ""YES YES" the brain developes first by the time you even know you are pregent 4 week later and by the time you go to the doctor, (some dont want to see you until 10-12 weeks) that baby's brain is already developed. Dont wait start now. Studies and my personal experience now how inportant these vitamins are before pregent. I have three healthy wonderful children, I did lose a child around 20 weeks pregent and found out she a development problems that when I studies and discuss vitamins before pregency with my doctor. I did have two more healthy children. I always tell young people because I did not know the importance in vitamins especially if you are doing atkins.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-27-04, 09:59
Registered Member

Stats: 211/197.5/185 Male 69
BF:18
Progress: 52%

Try increasing your exercise, watch your supplement intake and continue this WOE. I have increased my exercise, now only take a multivitamin, coq10 and alpha lipoic acid and continue with this WOE. Before I changed my intake, I was taking about 10 different supplements, it was crazy. I broke my stall of 190-191 lbs. a few days ago. I am now at 185-186 lbs., it works, try it...
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-05, 08:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 186/183/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

I'm sorry I don't have any advice Jill, but CONGRATULATIONS on the weight loss, you go girl! I'm sure you'll lose the rest, it's amazing how much you've lost in just 7 months so be glad, be proud! Good Luck on the rest, but I know u don't need it!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 16:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (modified)
Stats: 227/159/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Jill!!! Congrats on your phenomenal weight loss. you've got to tell me how you dropped 115 lbs in just 7 months. That is fantastic. Good luck TTC. I continued to LC while TTC and was successful during the second attempt. I have PCOS on top of that so that was a real accomplishment.....I wish you the very best on your continued weight loss and getting preggo