Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-04, 09:19
Krazy Karb Kel

Plan: south beach/atkins
Stats: 174/154/135 ? Female 5 feet or so
BF:not sure....
Progress: 20%

I am going to see the endo in two weeks, I will definitely have them check T3 and 4. Thanks for the help.

How are you doing JayKay?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 11:24
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%
Smile

Hi Jay,

I have had 4 operations on my thyroid over the years, and as such only have a tiny piece left. My test results came back 'within normal levels" time after time, but I just didn't feel "right" in myself. I always mentioned this to the Prof at the hospital and about 3 years ago, when my tests had come back as "normal" again, I again mentioned it. This time though, he told me that they had been doing research and had found that some people, even though their results were in the "normal range" actually needed more thyroxine to function at their best.I was told to immediately double the dosage of thyroxine. I now take 175mcg daily, compared with 75 mcg I was taking a few years ago. At one point last year I was on 225mcg as my TSH levels went completely to pot.

I would keep at your doctor and let him know that your levels may show "normal" but you certainly don't feel it.

Good luck.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 14:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Thanks for all the support Paulie. In fact my T3 levels were below normal and they've given me thyroxine (T4) but I don't feel better. I know its a slow process and I've only been on it a couple of months. But I've felt I'll so long I can't keep going on like this. I'm going to go back and hassle for Armour and if not that, T3 and a referral to an endo, the ThyroidUK forum recommended one fairly near me.
This forum is so good, it gives you the courage to keep going and fight if necessary.
Take care all, Jay
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 08:24

Plan: Mod Carbs.1200-1600 cals
Stats: 148/185/120 Female 5"2 or 159cm
BF:
Progress: -132%
Default Now what?! Will I never lose weight?

Im so so confused. I just got all the reults from my test back and it was all normal... I just wana cry.

I have all the hypothyroid symptomes, Im constantly gaining weight, Im also tired, I have major mood swings (I can go from LOL to a death panic or just a cry in just like * that...like now), cronic constipation, losing lottsof hair, I havent had my period i 12 months now and ... did I mention I just keep on gaining weight? and I just found this:

Quote:
Food and Drugs that Suppress

Certain foods, most notably soy, have been linked to the development of hypothyroid problems, but this controversy remains unresolved. I suspect the soy-hypothyroid link is quite strong when large amounts of soy have been consumed on a prolonged basis. Certain foods, i.e., cabbage, kale, kohlrabi, rutabaga, cauliflower, mustard greens, radishes, broccoli, brussel sprouts, corn, peas, lima beans, sweet potatoes, cassava, sorghum, apricots, prunes, walnuts, cherries, almonds and bamboo shoots contain goitrogens (thyroid suppressants) and/or pro-goitrogens (thyroid stimulants) which, though they probably do not adversely affect those with optimal thyroid function, it may affect those that have been diagnosed with thyroid disease if they are habitually consumed, therefore, it is vitally important to rotate your food choices on a daily basis.

Source: http://www.hum.org/sluggish_thyroid.html

Grrrr... this is exaactly what I have been eating (except the soy, fruites, beans and potato offcouirse). I use the my almonds as "flour" now b/c I always tend to binge on them, I love to do all kinds of lovely meals with the cauliflower and the broccoli and I just resently finished eating bamboo... I ate all this stuff today!!
Oooh, I guess my whole day is just a total messup. I thoughd I was being very good today, not eating fruite, not binging on almonds. What can a hypo eat?!

OMG, no spinach eather?!?! I just found this:
Quote:
Nutrition:

Foods that depress thyroid activity are broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, spinach, turnips, soy, beans, and mustard greens. These foods should be included in the diet for hyperthyroid conditions and avoided for hypothyroid conditions.
• Avoid refined foods, sugar, dairy products, wheat, caffeine, alcohol.
• Essential fatty acids are anti-inflammatory and necessary for hormone production. Take 1,000 to 1,500 mg flaxseed oil three times per day.
• Calcium (1,000 mg per day) and magnesium (200 to 600 mg per day) help many metabolic processes function correctly.

Source: http://healingdeva.com/thyroid.htm

Do you think that green beans is one of these foods.. I hope not.

I really think I might have a sluggish thyroid, I asked the nurse if it couldnt be that the hormones vary and she said that could be a possebilety. One symtome that I dont fel to much (or as mush as most of you do) is the cold temp. When another doc tested me three yasr ago in Ecuador he said my levels where ok, but that I wasnt far away from getting it. I weighed about 190lb then so he put me on levothyroxine and duromin... I list about 30 in a two moths period but then when I had used up all the medication and I was back in Sweden I gained 20 lb back.

The only testst that are yet not done are some testostorone and "women hormones" (<--nurses words).... she said they have nothing to do with the thyroid and that my thyroid is normal. How can it be that I am the only (female) one that doesnt have this. Everyone (female) on my mothers side does.

Hwlp! What do I do now?? Im soo angry, fustrated ans just sad. Do I really just have to accept Ill never be thin... ever?!
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 11:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20

Hi Da Rosa,
Just want to send you some hugs to start with, you sound like you're having a really hard time.
Did the docs give you the numbers of your tests or just tell you they were normal?
What did they test. TSH? Free T4, Free T3? Thyroid antibodies.
If they only did TSH, that can be normal and you can still be hypothyroid - your symptoms do sound like that.
My TSH is 'normal' (though too high in my opinion) but its my T3 - the active stuff - which is low.

You have done some good research about foods - I didn't know about almonds and I eat them every day, as I use them for flour and make biscuits that I eat with coffee.
Oh - better stop that then.

Can you try going back to your docs (or just ringing up the receptionist?) and getting more details of what they tested.
Hope you find some answers, talk soon, Jay
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 12:29

Plan: Mod Carbs.1200-1600 cals
Stats: 148/185/120 Female 5"2 or 159cm
BF:
Progress: -132%

Hi JayKay!
Thanks for the hugs, Im really needing some right now b/c Im ot getting anything from home. All they can say is "now you HAVE to do low carb, fat AND calorie" and they just keep on about how much I eat. Its not that I eat alot, I eat often... 4-6 times incuding snacks, my calories are at 1500-1800/day and I dont want to go much lower b/c I have heard that for a hypo thats a no-no, I used to do all kinds of lowcal/LC diets and fast that has messed my metabolism up... I instead gained 20lb this summer from binging after so restrictive diets and just eating the wrong foods. Now I just want to maintain and Im making an attempt to addapt my body to 40-60 to lose or maintaine... Im not giving up!

Yes, they did do the TSH, Free 3T and Free 4T all "normal" (?!). What I plan to get a copy of the test and show it all to y'all. I suspect that they want you to be close to having canser berore they wanna give you any medications b/c the healthcare here is public, our 30%paycheck (if you earn more you pay more, much more!) tax payS for it, but they still wanna be cheap! I wil also insist on gettingh regulular checkups for my thyroid and if they wont give me what Ill pay form my own empty pockets for a private doctor to give me some real help.

I have an apointmen this thursday with the doctor, she will probrably put me on some other hormone treament (the nurse said this) to get my TOM started, but Im kinda afraid to how that will affect the hypo. I hope it doesnt backfire on me, I suspect that the hormone treatment is gonna mess me upp and make me gaine MORE weight.. as hormones usually do.

Thank you so much for caring yall!... it feel good to have the second oppinions.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 15:47

Plan: EFGT/Nourishing Trads
Stats: -/-/- Female 5' 6"
BF:

Hi Da Rosa

Hugs from me too!

When you say you haven't had the cold temperature, do you mean you don't feel cold or that you have taken your basal body temperatures daily and found them to be normal? You won't necessarily feel cold (although many do) if you have low bbts, but low bbts are definitely a sign that something is wrong.

I suggest you look into food supplementation to support your thyroid and perhaps help it to heal without meds from the Dr, as they are unable to help. I've found positive results from taking Virgin Coconut Oil and supplementing with a good multi vit with iodine, selenium, zinc and all the B vits, together with l-tyrosine and high EPA tabs. Try checking out the thyroid sites for more info, and try monitoring your bbt (taken first thing in the morning) for a month. Here's a couple of good sites on that subject:

http://www.drrind.com/tempgraph.asp

http://www.biodynamics.be/noframes/e_000110.html

http://www.healthythyroid.com/

I have noticed definite improvement - my eyebrow is growing back and my bbts have warmed up by several degrees on average. I'm hoping weight will start to come off soon, too.

Above all, try not to get too discouraged; if the Drs can't help, then you can help yourself, with help from us too!