Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 08:25
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 254/231/145
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Yo-Yo TSH

Good morning all!

Well I guess I just want to whine a bit. I have been treated for hypo thyroid for 3 years, without fail every 3-6 months the Dr. up's my synthroid, he refuses to look at alternatives and I am frustrated. Weight loss is only a small part of the problem, I'm tired of dry skin, being exhausted and feeling cold.

Went in last week for another TSH and the results were a whopping 6.5, told him I wanted to be ~ 2, he just looks at me, insists that the thyroid antibody test they did in 2001 "looks OK", what the heck is it gonna take for this guy to get moving! Now he wants me to wait 6 weeks and have another TSH, what in the heck does he think is gonna happen in that timeframe - meds are still the same, no changes in anything! Our medical system is busy taking a "trip to the toilet", with all the cutbacks, you can't request or refer yourself to another Dr. here at all, they say if you have a Doctor you must stay with him/her. The only reason I ended up with this fella is that my doctor moved to Victoria, and I had no choice, my file was transferred to him. Don't get me wrong, he may be a good doctor but I am quickly learning that I have to be very informed and somewhat aggresive to get anything done.

Whew, now I feel better. Anyone with any suggestions, please feel free to reply to this thread. Sorry I whined so long, I don't usually do that. Anyway, hope everyone has a good LC day.

I am sure many have stories similar to this one, just wanted to whine a little haha.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 08:32

Plan: Back with Atkins, works b
Stats: 196/151/145 Female 5'6"
BF:28/26/
Progress: 88%

My Dr. has me up to 150mcg of synthroid, my TSH is finally supressed... BUT,

I have to be very careful what I eat!!! I feel like I am not taking any synthroid if I eat more than induction level of carbs!!! I guess you could say my WOL is permanent induction.

I will drop in on your journal and see if there is anything in there that I have eatn that gives me trouble. My Dr. said that most Hypo are very intolerant of carbs, even some of the veggie ones!! I stick to mostly green leafy and have only a few times a week other veggies, NEVER carrots, and I have to keep the onions VERY low...
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 13:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/147/130 Female 5 ft 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 57%

Are you aware that the timing on taking your meds and what else you make be taking with them can have an adverse effect on you thyroid? Synthroid should be taken 1 hour before eating anything on an empty stomach (at least 2 hours since eating). Avoid large amounts of soy and broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage. See www.thyroid.about.com for a great site and lots of help. It is a must to exercise to keep your thyroid going. Being overwieght doesn't help and your dosage will have to be adjusted as you lose. I have the condition for 22 years and am still learning how to keep it under control. Where did you get TSH 2 for the magic number? I always feel great when I'm between 3 and 4. I can't imagine not being able to go the the doctor I want to...I sympathize. Eating low carb is what my doctor and his nutritionist told me to do. It's helped a lot. I also walk 30 minutes every day. Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 13:44

Plan: Back with Atkins, works b
Stats: 196/151/145 Female 5'6"
BF:28/26/
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Are you aware that the timing on taking your meds and what else you make be taking with them can have an adverse effect on you thyroid

How true this is!! You need to check all meds or supplements to see if they are to be taken alone, with food, empty stomach, etc.

My. Dr. says take my thyroid as my very first thing in the AM, then by the time I am dresssed and ready to eat, it has done its thing.

Quote:
Where did you get TSH 2 for the magic number

They are going to have to re-write the books on this one! My magic number is .38!! Above that I feel lousy. My Dr. also says that normal for one isn't necessarily normal for another...

Quote:
Eating low carb is what my doctor and his nutritionist told me to do

Mine too! Says that most Thyroid patents are carbohydrate intolerante! I have to rmain at an induction level or I feel lousy, synthroid or not!! This is also true for hyper as well as hypo...
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 14:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/147/130 Female 5 ft 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 57%

The doctor sent me to his nutritionist to be on a low carb plan. It's not no carb - still have 2 fruit and 3 starch, but 10 protein servings and 3 milk a day. I can't believe how much better I feel and am doing. The last time I had a complete blood work done my blood sugar was elevated so now I have no choice but stick with it, eliminating hight glygemic choices. I don't want to get diabetes! He and she both said hypos have a hard time with carbs. If I do have a piece of fruit, I'm supposed to be sure to eat some protein - cheese for me- with it. So, for me its PROTEIN and CARBS
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 18:29
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 254/231/145
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies Mary and Bertha. I take my meds on an empty stomach, 1st thing in the morning. I was once at 2 for TSH land felt soooooooo much better. Would like to feel good again.

Oh well, it could be worse, I guess I just needed to vent.
Thanks for listening.