Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-10, 09:39

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

I get a rash...more like a rosecea like redness around the skin on the top of my face within an hour. This in addition to stomach bloating, diarrhea, racing heart, and shakiness in the short term.

Within a day or so, broken sleep, chest cough, and knees and hips joints so swollen and painful I can't even hardly move.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-10, 09:40

Plan: hcg
Stats: 192/142/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by faduckeggs
Citrus, I get that rash on my elbows and knees. Going gluten free cures it. Accidental gluetn ingestion brings it right abck.

I had it biopsoied for DH. According to the dermatologist's office, it was not dh, but idiopathic. Yet, going gluten nfree cures it.

I agree it's probably DH for both of you. faduckeggs, did the derm biopsy the blisters or beside the blisters?? in order to get a correct diagnosis of DH the biopsy has to be beside the blister and within 3-4 days of the occurrence. from what I've read on celiac.com few derms know how to biopsy correctly.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-10, 10:04

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?

Supposedly DH is super duper rare, and yet skin rashes from gluten seem like they're quite common. Do you think it's because it's so hard to diagnose, or are there just a lot of non-DH skin reactions to gluten?

Hmm... maybe not so rare:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatitis_herpetiformis
Quote:
Estimates of DH prevalence vary from 1 in 400 to 1 in 100000.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-10, 10:29

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by maile1
I agree it's probably DH for both of you. faduckeggs, did the derm biopsy the blisters or beside the blisters?? in order to get a correct diagnosis of DH the biopsy has to be beside the blister and within 3-4 days of the occurrence. from what I've read on celiac.com few derms know how to biopsy correctly.

The derm biopsied one of the blisters from my knee, but not the skin next to the blister. She insisted the biopsy was a waste of time, because I am overweight, so I can't have celiac.

I wasn't too impressed with her and have never gone back.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-10, 11:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You're supposed to get the skin next to the blisters. The blisters already have had the antibodies blown out of them, or something to that effect.

Wow, your derm was a total imbecile. At least 30% of celiacs are overweight.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-10, 13:52
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue

Well, it was a couple of years ago now that I was talking to my doctor's PA about my so-called dairy issues, and then at the end of the visit, she asked, "Is there anything else you want to discuss?" - so I mentioned the rash. Her eyes got kind of big and round, and she said, "It might not be dairy, it could be wheat".

She sent me to a dermatologist, but the guy looked at it and said, "It can't be wheat" and recommended I put Aquaphor on it. He didn't do any tests or anything.

I went gluten free a week or so later. I still have a gigantic tub of Aquaphor sitting around here somewhere.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-10, 14:17

Plan: hcg
Stats: 192/142/138 Female 67 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Supposedly DH is super duper rare, and yet skin rashes from gluten seem like they're quite common. Do you think it's because it's so hard to diagnose, or are there just a lot of non-DH skin reactions to gluten?

Hmm... maybe not so rare:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatitis_herpetiformis

I think it's the inability to diagnose rather than rare, the 2 stories by faduckeggs and citris seem to support that Part of the problem may be is that it has to be biopsied within days of the blisters showing up. most people probably wait weeks or more before the see a derm, then the problem is getting one who knows what s/he is doing and is willing to consider DH
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-10, 21:28

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:

I haven't eaten wheat since last December, but tomorrow is pizza day. Let's see if I will notice any reaction to wheat. It's sourdough pizza, with less gluten than ordinary pizza, though.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-10, 21:44
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbuja
I would be interested to hear what sort of wheat/sugar/other neolithic food symptoms you get and if you've ever gotten a diagnosis.
whenever i have sugar/wheat products, i get arthritic pain in my joints. it comes on in 2 days, stays for 5.
my intestines do all kinds of things. bloat, diarrhea, cramping - usually for two B.Ms..
and sometimes i get miserable headaches for several hours.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-10, 14:57

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:

Only heartburn so far. Maybe my theory that the wood burning oven burns the calories and the gluten away is true!
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-10, 16:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

LOL! It takes a lot to destroy protein.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-10, 18:29
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo GF/CF
Stats: 143/143/135 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Here's a celiac website outlining who should be tested:
http://www.celiacdisease.net/symptoms

cancker sores are on the list

May not be a big deal for commited lowcarbers, but perhaps their relatives should test also?