Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-01, 19:10
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Smile glad yer not giving up just yet Deb

It can be pretty discouraging, I know. I'm in the middle of a 4 month stall, and like Rachel says, I KNOW if I don't eat lowcarb, I will gain, and very quickly.

Are you exercising, as in get yer heart rate up and sweating ?? That could help boost the metabolism.

What about medications? Some heart and blood pressure meds can cause slowed weight loss. Only other thing I can think is you might be low thyroid, you could get your doc. to take a blood sample to find out.

Click here for the main Tips page then scroll down to read the articles on Hidden Carbs, and Stalls & Plateaus (not that you're technically in a stall yet, but there are some hints and ideas).

On the subject of cholesterol, yes my brother's chol. and triglycerides dropped dramatically within 3 months of following Atkins program -- he'd had a heart attack and quadruple bypass surgery the year before. His cardiologist is so impressed, he's actually using lowcarb for a few other "resistant" patients.

It's not for everybody, indeed some folks do get increased cholesterol levels. That isn't necessarily a bad thing though, click here to read an earlier post of mine in the Health Issues forum, where I listed the main points from "the Cholesterol Myths" (the link to the book is there too)

Hang in there, you're due to see the scale change soon ..

Doreen
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-01, 06:15
Registered Member

Plan: Calorie control
Stats: 169/150/140 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:
Progress: 66%

I was hoping I'd see something on the scale this morning - but nope...same old thing. And I was even better yesterday as far as eating.

Doreen - I'm not on any medication (maybe I should be, eh ). I haven't had my thyroid tested in a couple of years - then it was normal. Yes, I do exercise - I walk in the fields, about 2 miles and it's up and down hills and my heartrate is definitely increased.

I hope you can understand why I wouldn't have much incentive to continue eating this way - feeling deprived and a failure if I don't see any significant weight loss in the next week. 2 pounds is not a weight loss as far as I'm concerned when one first starts a diet. I would consider 2 pounds a weight loss if I was into week 4 or 5, but not on week 1. And week 2 showed absolutely nothing.

No, I don't find increased mental clarity or any of those things that people say happen to them - not even a better complexion.

Sorry to be such a downer here and I do appreciate the support and pep talks. I really hope that in a couple of days I can come back and say...hey it's working!...finally.

Wendy asked why I feel limited eating this way...,well,....there's so many things you can't have. And I miss things like fruit and colourful veggies.

I guess if I saw results, then I would have a different attitude.

Do I keep a record of what I eat...NO, and I don't intend to. I don't want food to rule my life - it is at this moment - that's all I can think about, what can I eat, what can I eat. What a way to live

I'm not throwing in the towel just yet - just venting my frustration here. I really do want to be successful for more reasons than just being a thinner me.

Again, thanks for letting me vent