Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-04, 12:51
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: // Female 5"1
BF:
Progress:
Default protein additions to cottage/ricotta

i took your ideas and added soy milk to cottage cheese/ricotta and sprinkled w/cinnamon/splenda
what can I add besides protein powder (I prefer to eat real food) to pump up the protein?
I am vegetarian and need alot or my blood sugar go wacky and I get hungry FAST
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-04, 16:58
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

What is your daily protein requirement a la Protein Power?

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-04, 20:54
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default protein needs

about 75 -85/day
what do you recommend to enchance the breakfast?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-11-04, 00:38
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I would have this Korean Tofu recipe for breakfast. There are 13 grams of protein in one piece. Two or three would be a good breakfast.

I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't eat breakfast food for breakfast. This morning I had tomatoes, hard cooked eggs, feta cheese, a can of tuna, and olive oil that I mixed together the night before. If you want to go sweet, there are not a lot of vegetarian options unless you supplement with protein powder. If I was faced with the choice of not enough protein and having to supplement with protein powder, I would opt for the protein powder. You can get organic hemp or rice protein powder. It doesn't have to be whey or soy.

You might also search around in the Vegetarian Forum. When you find someone who interests you, click their Journal link and have a look to see what they are eating.

There are also many tofu and wheat gluten protein products. Check out a natural foods store. TVP is another source, black soy beans, and soy grits.
Quote:
can you give me the recipe for cottage cheese/eggs/flax instead of oatmeal for pancakes? any other suggestion besides flax if I want alternate for change of tastes?
Flax is a good binder. Less of a binder but more of a bulker is ground almonds. Ground flax is available refrigerated, in natural food stores. You can also grind the seeds in a coffee grinder.

If you want to grind black sesame seeds, they would provide bulk, but a pancake based on them might be overwhelming. Here's the breakfast forum contents. There are many pancake and crepe recipes.

Try this website for tofu ideas. It's not low-carb, but there are lots of ideas there. VegWeb is another source, and it's all vegetarian.

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Sun, Dec-12-04 at 02:30.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-11-04, 05:04
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default veg idea

thanks for all of your ideas