Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 10:10

Plan: Atkins/Leptin Hybrid
Stats: 150/131/130 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 95%
Unhappy *sigh* What gives?

This is not my first time doing Atkins. A few years ago, I lost about 30 pounds and vowed to myself that I would continue eating sensibly, blah, blah. Didn't happen, and I totally accept all responsibility for the junk I put in my mouth. It is my own fault I've gained it back. I'm hoping to do it right this time.

So, I started Atkins again, since it's the only diet I've successfully stuck with, and I initially was losing. I lost 2 pounds in the first week, which wasn't as huge as my first week the first time around, but I'll definitely take it, KWIM? But, now, I've started to gain again. I'm not eating anything differently than I did last week, but I'm back to my starting weight.

My monthly visitor isn't due for another 2 weeks, so I'm pretty sure it's not water retention. I can't think of any other explanations. Anyone have any ideas? Anyone have any ideas for kick-starting my ketosis? Maybe a meat and egg fast?

Just FYI, this is an example of my normal day's eating.

Eggs w/ cheese
Decaff Coffee w/ heavy cream and Splenda
Chicken wings w/ 0 carb sauce, fried zucchini in carbonara sauce
2 Diet Colas with Splenda (caffeinated)

The only thing I can think of that might be bad is the caffeine, but 2 Cokes over the course of an entire day is surely okay? Please tell me yes, lol!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 10:25

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

It seems you get one golden shot with Atkins. It is never so fast the second time around. I'd just say hang on - the weight will come off in time.

I'm not sure you are eating enough. If you starve yourself the body will slow your metabolism and hang on to your fat. I'd stick an extra meal in somewhere!

Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 10:38

Plan: Atkins (What Else??)
Stats: 245/143/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 102%

I would agree, you aren't eating enough. Where are your veggies & salads Personally, I'd be careful of the Splenda....while yes, it is allowed, its limited to 3 packets per day. I also would stay away from the Diet Coke and any caffeine.
Good luck to you!!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 12:15
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 198/168/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hey There. I Know I May Be "nit Picking" You To Death, But Are You Measuring The Amount Of Protein And Carbs Youre Eating? Like How Many Eggs....how Many Wings Etc...also I Agree With The Others....you Need Some Low Carb Salad Or Veggies Too. I Know You Ate Zuchinni, But Overall, You Need To Weigh And Measure...then If You Are Not Losing, Drop Down About 5 Grams On The Carbs And See If That Does The Trick. I Can Eat About 35 Carbs And 80 Grams Of Protein And Lose Weight....and Up To Around 50/60 Carbs And Not Gain Any Back Over An Extended Period Of Time. Its Kinda An Exact Science Lol Also Do Some Studying....celery [and Other Low Carb Veggies Also Like Brocolli] Will Help Knock Off Some Water Weight And Reduce Inflammations] Raw Veggies Are Good For You Also... I Wish You Luck.....and Remember....persitance Is The Key....and Changing The Way You Eat For Life.....since We Are Prone To Eat Wrong And Gain Weight. We Need To Learn How To Eat Correctly : ) Its So Much Healthier Than Eating That "bad" Stuff That Makes Us Gain!!! Good Luck Remember That Whole Foods And Simple Foods Are Better For You....
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 12:35
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

That's a lotta dairy and artificial sweetener.

And as the others have said, where are the veggies and fat?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 16:10

BF:

Thanks for the feedback. I really needed someone else's point of view on this, 'cause mine isn't working for me!

My carbs have been 20 or less since I began again, so I thought I was cool, and it looked like I was going into ketosis at first. I know that my veggie intake is woeful. I'll try adding a salad and another veggie. I've actually got some mustard greens in the fridge I can make tonight. I've been putting off making them because my kids wear me down most days, and I just want to go for something easy, like plain frozen wings and deep fried zucchini, lol.

Some people may think I'm weird, but I'm not going to deny the kids 'normal' stuff like potatoes and carrots because of me, and I've been taking care of their needs first. My kids are 3 and 5, so it's totally the mother in me. (My husband, who isn't into this, just benefits.)

I use CO, because of the hydrogenation thing. Maybe I'll start adding a bit of that to my coffee, to up my fat intake?

I didn't think that my cheese/dairy intake is too bad. With my breakfast, it was one slice of American, 2 tbsp of cream, and about 1/4 cup of Parmesan with the carbonara. But, thanks for making me look at it. It totally didn't register that the carbonara has both cheese and cream. Maybe I"m overdoing it there without realizing?

Seems ironic that I'm going to start counting calories to make sure I'm getting enough, lol. According to Nutrition Data, I burn about 2,000 calories a day. But, checking my average menu (ok, it was really just a list of what I ate yesterday, lol), you guys are right. Less than 1,000 calories. I may be unknowingly sending my body signals that we're in lean times. That's what I've always loved about Atkins, though. I eat less but don't get hungry. Guess that's what's working against me right now, huh?

Also, BTW, I only use 2 packets of Splenda in my coffee (2 cups) plus 2 cans of DC. I'm going to try the veggie/calorie thing before I'm willing to give up my soda, though. I'm a total Coke addict, lol.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 18:24

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 297/251.8/150 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFletcher
It seems you get one golden shot with Atkins. It is never so fast the second time around.

Thank you Robert I needed to hear that. I will definately keep it in mind if I ever find myself regaining.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 20:57

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyP
So, I started Atkins again, since it's the only diet I've successfully stuck with, and I initially was losing. I lost 2 pounds in the first week, which wasn't as huge as my first week the first time around, but I'll definitely take it, KWIM? But, now, I've started to gain again. I'm not eating anything differently than I did last week, but I'm back to my starting weight.

Just FYI, this is an example of my normal day's eating.

Eggs w/ cheese
Decaff Coffee w/ heavy cream and Splenda
Chicken wings w/ 0 carb sauce, fried zucchini in carbonara sauce
2 Diet Colas with Splenda (caffeinated)

Go back to your Atkins Bible. In there the good Dr says that a person will lose 10% of the desired weight in that first week. You want to lose 20lbs according to your stats. That is 10%. You don't have a lot to lose, so, you are going to lose slowly.

As far as the normal day's eating - you do not list portions. How much heavy cream???? How much zucchini? Are you tracking your intake either here in MY PLAN or fitday?
Good luck.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 22:26

BF:

Oh, I was happy with the 2 pounds. It's just that they came back when I wasn't doing anything differently!

But, honestly, I am eating less than 20 carbs a day, even if I didn't list portions. I'll break down carbs from my menu-
2 Eggs - 0 carbs
1 Slice American Cheese - 1 carb
Coffee - 0 carbs
2 tbsp cream - 1 carb (ND lists it as 0 per tbsp, but 3 per cup?)
Zucchini (about 1 cup, sliced) - 4 net carbs
Carbonara - 7 net carbs Total: 13 carbs

So, you understand my confusion, that I gained 2 pounds on this week's weigh-in after losing it the week before. It was a total WTF kind of moment. I'm glad I checked with you folks, though. I've got a few ideas about what might be causing it. And my wonderful DH suggested that I need more water. And he's right, I just hate giving up my soda. *pout* I know, I'll get over it. I've just spoiled myself.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-05-09, 01:15

Plan: Carnivorous / WAPF
Stats: 168/152/145 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

your fat content looks fine, and your vegetable content isn't too worryingly excessive, but, oh my! you sure don't eat much! I starve on six eggs. How do you manage with only two?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-05-09, 10:19

BF:

It's called having lots of distractions first thing in the morning. I'm so busy trying to get my kids out the door for school, etc., I don't have more than a couple of minutes to eat, so... Maybe when they're older and can take care of themselves a little better, I'll have a real breakfast.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-05-09, 12:15
Registered Member

BF:

Well, i'm sure you will do fine. Lots of ideas flying around persistance is the key. sounds like you know what you are doing, also....let us know how it keeps going : ) i'm sure everything will go A O K !!!! Have a nice day!!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-05-09, 14:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/275/200 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

You might not be eating enough. If you cut your calories too low your body shuts down and you will slow down for weight loss. For my size according to one of those site's it says I need like 3200 calories to stay my size, 2700 to lose a lb a week, Im tryin for 2500-2700 a day. Im slowly losing , and am happy with a lb a week. Some people are starting to notice the changes... took you a while to get fat, will take a while to lose it.

Keep your chins up and stick to it.

deryk
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-09, 11:30
Registered Member

BF:

i hate to keep blabbing....but then i thought to myself, if i can help you, then WHY NOT???????????? I got to looking back on my fitday records [fitday.com] where i was recording everything i ate whenever i was losing weight.....to see what i had forgotten.....i have been maintaining for about 8 months, so naturally i forgot how "little" i used to eat!! haha what i DID notice, is that i usually did like 2 eggs/2 pcs bacon for breakfast....then at lunch i ate some simple grilled leftover chicken and then i had something like brocolli salad [raw brocolli-mayo-pinch onion] and/or apple salad which was only 1/2 an apple and couple stalks celery diced super small with mayo] and then maybe some mozerella cheese or something.....so what i ate was LOW IN CARBS BUT HIGH IN FIBER.....OR VOLUME!!! made me feel full and BY THE TIME YOU CRUNCH THRU ALL THAT BROCOLLI AND/OR CELERY, YOU ARE TIRED OF EATING!!!!! AND FULL!!!! THEN FOR DINNER, I WAS EATING A PLAIN MEAT [MOSTLY GRILLED] AND A 10 CARB VEGGIE LIKE OKRA OR GREEN BEANS OR SQUASH ETC. THE SIMPLER THE BETTER.....EASIER TO MEASURE THINGS THAT WAY. I ALSO LIKED A CHICKEN AND BROCOLLI CASSEROLE THINGY...THE RECIPE IS HERE ON THIS SITE. PRETTY EASY TO MAKE AND MEASURE. SOOOOOOOO i hope this helps you in some little tiny way. have a good one! : )
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Nov-08-09, 18:16

BF:

Sorry to take all weekend to read your post, but... It's the weekend, lol. Thanks for your advice. That chicken broccoli thing sounds like it's worth trying. I'll scour the recipe section for it.