Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 11:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/124/125 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 107%
Default 0 net carbs

Huh? This always confuses me. Today I didn't bring lunch so I went to Quizno's to get a salad.

The roadhouse ranch salad, has assorted ettuce, 1 - 2 cherry tomatoes, small amount of crumbled bacon (real not bits), roast beef on top with once slice of cheese melted over the roast beef, served w/ranch dressing.

How is this 0 net carbs?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 11:25

Stats: 335/211/195 Male 77 inches
BF:
Progress: 89%

It is not 0 net carbs. Sounds like another case of mislabeling. Yesterday, my wife gave me a "snack bag" she picked up for our flight. It was a 5 oz bag of salted peanuts listed as 3 grams of carb with 3 grams of fiber. There is no way that peanuts are 0 carb, just like there is no way a salad with the ingredients you listed would be 0 carb. You must use common sense when looking at the various claims of carb content of products, just like relying on the listed carb counts on so many recipes. I always approach labels with a bit of skepticism and look at the ingredients to see if it could be approximately right. If it looks too good to be true, it usually is.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 15:14

Stats: 140/124/125 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 107%

Yeah, I was it WASN'T 0 net carbs ........but I still get confused when I see the whole "net carbs" issue.

I tend to stick with counting all the carbs and NOT even dealing with the "net carbs".

But I was still wondering, what on earth they thought would cause it to be 0 net carbs ............but then again, they had a chicken salad (grilled chicken on top of lettuce) and read 8 net carbs, and I wondered what was causing it to be so high !!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 16:30
feels like today

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 203.5/187.5/145 Female 5ft. 1in.
BF:
Progress: 27%

Net carbs are Carb count subtract fiber and sugar alcohols. I personally count sugar alc. I will take carbs minus fiber (as they are non-digestible carbs) and then I have "my" net carbs. Some people do it differently. Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 20:06

Plan: Atkins/SBD
Stats: 136/116/105 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%
Question

Hello, I'm confused by carb counting and some of the terms as well. I think I get the idea of Net carb and fiber. What about the term "Carbohydrates, by difference" ? Is it the same as "net carbs" ???
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 21:02

Stats: 335/211/195 Male 77 inches
BF:
Progress: 89%

The only place I have seen that term used is in the USDA Nutrient Database. As used there, it is the total amount of carbohydrates in the particular type of food, including fiber. The fiber is also broken out so you just deduct the fiber from the "carbohydrates by difference" to get the net carbs for that food item. That is the database I use to check on the carb content of a type of food, if I am unsure of it.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 22:33

Plan: Atkins/SBD
Stats: 136/116/105 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%
Smile

I SEE !!! Thanks hdyhouse First I thought ...

Carbohydrate by difference = carbs - fiber = net carbs

So, carbohydrate by difference actually includes fibers ... thanks goodness! (So what I ate wasn't *as high* in carbs as I thought )

The term was used in Carbs Calculator tools here and I got confused.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 15:53

Plan: Anabolic diet
Stats: 355.0/308.0/230.0 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, carb by difference means that they get the carbs by subtracting the fat and protein. Everything left is carbs.