Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 14:25

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 253/193.6/130
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Cottage cheese

Hi everyone,

I have been lowcarbing since December and I am extremely happy with this WOL, I have lost 23 lbs and a dress size, however lately I have been consuming too much cottage cheese. You see I have started to do BFL exercise routines with Atkins, since weighlifting requires suficient amount of protein I find it hard to eat that much of meat or chicken. So I eat 500g (about 2 cups) of cottage cheese which has 60g of protein and the rest I get it from Tuna, Chicken etc. I feel when ever I do eat cottage cheese I do not lose or am I being pranoid? I really do love this WOL and weighlifting but I feel the need to revert back to Atkins induction again and that means I cant eat cottage cheese. Please Advice me of how I should kick start losing inches again, I no longer care about scale weight.....

I am female, age 23, 189lbs, 5'5 And breasfeeding 15month child.

Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 1857
Fat: 117 1049 57%
Sat: 9 83 4%
Poly: 5 49 3%
Mono: 27 240 13%
Carbs: 14 56 3%
Fiber: 0 0 0%
Protein: 184 737 40%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

Thanks in Advance
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 16:33

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Non-meat sources of protein include protein shakes, eggs, soy products like soyburgers and soy sausage (read labels carefully - some are nearly carb-free while others are loaded). Are you sure you need more protein? Low-carb diets are pretty high in protein already.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 16:43
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Please be careful if you are both nursing a child and lifting weights. Your nutritional requirements are much higher than most people on this forum, so we may not be in the best position to give you advice. Atkins is quite clear that induction eating levels are not appropriate for a nursing mother. I know that nursing a 15-month-old is not the same as nursing an infant -- hopefully the 15-month-old is getting most of his/her nutrition elsewhere -- but it still puts a strain on your body. (I know, I nursed both my kids for over a year.) If you think you need the cottage cheese to get adequate protein, eat it.

FYI, I eat cottage cheese almost every morning for breakfast -- although more like 1/2 cup, not 2 cups -- and it doesn't seem to interfere with my weight loss. I've lost almost 70 pounds in a little over 7 months.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 07:12

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 276/269/125 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

It might be better for your body if you weaned your baby. That being said, some people have problems with milk products, and as such, if you're consuming 2 cups of the stuff every day, I could feasibly see it stalling you. Why don't you try some sort of protein powder for a couple of weeks instead of the cottage cheese, cut down on the dairy everywhere else in you WOE, and see what happens. If you break the stall, you found your problem, if not, then at least you know one thing it isn't.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 10:10
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

.....or add vanilla-flavored protein powder to your cottage cheese....that's what I did this morning and it was pretty good!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 11:59
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I think cottage cheese did the same thing to me. I was eating about the same amount as you...I also suspect it made me break out. I love cottage cheese. If you need another protein source go for a whey protein powder, you can find low carb ones out there. (I use one called Nitro-tech but am not trying to sell it or anything)

Take care,
Meg
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 11:01

Plan: Atkins / Protein Power
Stats: 215/152/150 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 97%

I would reiterate that whey protein powder suggestion. I also do a lot of weight lifting and have done a ton of research on protein. The highest quality protein available is whey protein (better than meat/eggs/cottage cheese, etc).