Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-14-24, 00:50

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Fat people are costing us all billions. It’s time to get tough

Quote:
Fat people are costing us all billions. It’s time to get tough

I used to think the obese should be left alone – but they’re beginning to crush us

As I write, the 31st European Congress on Obesity is meeting in Venice. It’s the city that sinks, and it’s a metaphor for the world today sinking into ill-health and economic doom because of obesity.

Delegates to the congress are discussing a new report that shows how obesity hampers economic growth, specifically because obese workers are twice as likely to take time off sick. And as Britain is among the fattest of Europe – almost two in three British adults are overweight or obese – that means that huge numbers of British workers may be off sick because of weight-related issues; the worst of such ailments being diabetes or heart-disease.

Which means it’s no longer just their problem – the dilemma of the obese – it’s our problem too, because it’s our country and our economy.

Obesity costs Britain more than terrorism, it increases the risks of more than 30 types of cancer, it costs the NHS £6.5 billion a year, and it’s pushing up welfare bills. It is making our country inefficient: fewer staff means customers may spend longer waiting for companies to pick up the phone or to get their new passport processed. So is it time we intervened? Hell yes. When it comes to the British obesity crisis, I’m afraid we need to get illiberal.

How we got here is understandable. After the War, and rationing, adding a few notches to the belt felt like freedom. And in the ensuing decades, the transformation of our food culture represented extraordinary progress. As the War ended, kids passing grocery stores asked what those newly-imported bananas were. Now we can eat when we want, shop when we want and the world is our culinary oyster.

But with that fabulous choice has come the devil’s twin horns of the industrialisation of food (ultra-processing et al) and the bad decision-making and ignorance that accompanies that freedom.

And what has then turned that into a disaster is that those ultra-processed foods, (such as soft, white-sliced bread), fast food, takeaways and ready-meals are often cheap. They tend to be less nutritious and, when consumed without moderation, lead to obesity – especially if the consumers aren’t moving about as they should, let alone exercising.

We need to fix this. To do so will take courage and a long-term vision and, sorry politicos, short-term unpopularity.

But we have been here before, with seatbelts, with alcohol, with smoking. And we got through those pain barriers. We look back now aghast that it was once normal to light up in the office.

Taxing the firms who manufacture sugary drinks, restricting the sales of takeaways, putting 18-certificates on fast food, ushering in a new era of rationing might all seem impossible. We have already gone too far.

Well, there is a way. There is a route to compulsory good eating and to indoctrination. And that is through schools. By which I mean free school meals, in every school, and a very limited menu of choice. Were learning about food to become as much a part of the school day as a maths lesson, it would be the greatest social leveller of the 21st century. No more wretched, divisive (plastic) lunch boxes and generations understanding and appreciating a good diet.

Would it be expensive to implement? Of course. We’re talking billions every year. But it’s a revolution that would in time transform this country.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...e-to-get-tough/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-14-24, 04:02

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I think it's the only solution:

Quote:
Well, there is a way. There is a route to compulsory good eating and to indoctrination. And that is through schools. By which I mean free school meals, in every school, and a very limited menu of choice. Were learning about food to become as much a part of the school day as a maths lesson, it would be the greatest social leveller of the 21st century. No more wretched, divisive (plastic) lunch boxes and generations understanding and appreciating a good diet.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-14-24, 05:11
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

This is where Japan seems to have gotten it right. Don't just lecture kids with whatever blah-blah MyPlate/nutrition recommendations; teach kids basic culinary skills.

It reminds me of how it irks me that I got A's in university-level algebra, geometry and calculus, but knew nothing about mortgages, credit cards, income tax law, or other real life math skills and it messed up my life.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-15-24, 03:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
It reminds me of how it irks me that I got A's in university-level algebra, geometry and calculus, but knew nothing about mortgages, credit cards, income tax law, or other real life math skills and it messed up my life.

So true! And all the things our parents didn't teach us. Perhaps we lacked the cool aunt or uncle who were honest about what else was important to learn... I had to come up with my own strategies, a day late and many dollars short
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-15-24, 12:34

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:

My problem with this is what are they going to teach these kids about nutrition?

Given the ever increasing push for low fat, low cholesterol, and plant based proteins, I doubt seriously that they're going to teach them about the nutritional importance of animal foods to begin with.

They already have a very limited menu of choice in the schools: vegetables, fruits and lots of grains, with a tiny bit of protein.

If they teach them to cook at all, they'll be teaching them how to make vegan burgers to go with whole grain breads, and homemade cookies for dessert.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-16-24, 02:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
My problem with this is what are they going to teach these kids about nutrition?

We DO have to agree on what is "good eating." Without the profiteers. It's the chemical constructs in the artificial food which is their addictive secret.

Something has another headline. "THESE plant based diets are incredible for health!" But I know it's repeated across all these outlets which now dominate the search rankings.

Plus, Google pushes plant based on purpose. We can't look to institutions to work properly in the US, unless we make them stop taking the money.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-16-24, 11:53

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
We DO have to agree on what is "good eating." Without the profiteers. It's the chemical constructs in the artificial food which is their addictive secret.

Something has another headline. "THESE plant based diets are incredible for health!" But I know it's repeated across all these outlets which now dominate the search rankings.

Plus, Google pushes plant based on purpose. We can't look to institutions to work properly in the US, unless we make them stop taking the money.

That's the biggest problem.

My generation generally started out with loads of animal proteins and fats and cholestrol, but to our detriment were convinced as adults to stop eating so much red meat, watch our cholesterol. So of course we have health issues compared to previous generations.

They're not going to stop promoting whole grains and every UPF made from loads of carbs and seed oils until they have at least one generation that eats that way from the time they're weaned, and end up with even worse health outcomes than my generation has... while following their "healthy" advice to the letter.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-17-24, 03:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
They're not going to stop promoting whole grains and every UPF made from loads of carbs and seed oils until..

That's just it, they won't stop, ever. Which is why they fight the free flow of information, which is slowly overwhelming their message with a person's actual lived experience.

It will take a century for this bad information to be dispelled with solemn historians shaking their heads over "what people believed." Officially.

But to have science co-opted... that is why it takes so long. But tobacco fell and people still buy it. Eventually, the Frankenfoods will go the same way.

Since the last time I went to the big fancy supermarket, it was three cases of liquid dairy products. And three cases of nut milk products.

I guess I'm just grateful I can still get dairy at the supermarket, no? They will kill every animal on the planet for profit, and that includes us.

They won't stop. They can only BE stopped. Since the only bad results they care about comes from Wall Street.

People already know, deep down, that these are not foods! But they eat them anyway. That is what really perturbs me. Though I'm equally worried about the people I know who are dutifully following official advice, not knowing this is coming from people who actually don't have their best interests in mind. They are wrapping their pork loin in spinach so they can have their meat and feel healthy. Or declaring a meal 9/10th plant based because NO ONE is actually teaching actual nutrition from bio-availability.

It's not only biased for corporations, the science has hardly budged in over one hundred years.

We have to teach the lastest science, and that's where the roadblock is. Because despite all efforts at "keeping up" I talk to doctors who know nothing about food, and some of them are young, too!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-17-24, 19:49

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I think your health insurance rates should go up with your BMI. Once you pass the normal range, your rate should go up the higher you go. When you get to the obesity range, even more.

After all, you are a bigger risk when you are overweight.