Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-01, 12:03

Plan: my own
Stats: 164/125/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default I'm new. and excited .... and scared!

Hi.... I am new to all of this but have been reading up about it for... well, I bought atkins new diet revolution over a year ago. I also have all the zone books and protein power etc. But up until now it has really only been bedtime reading (as I munched on my popcorn - yikes!). Anyway... I really really want to give it a go. I have, like everyone, a very complicated yo-yo dieting past. I have been everything from 200 lbs to anorexic. I genuinely feel that there is no danger of the anorexia rearing it's ugly head again. I am 31 now and have been fine for 11 years, but as a result of it I have NO muscle tone even when I am thin (125-130 lbs). Every time I have had a baby I have managed to lose much of the weight, and 2 years after my second daughter was born I felt great. But since my third daughter arrived 18 months ago, I just can't get past the 160/165 mark. I have a treadmill.... and use it. But with low fat diets and even food journals there is just no budging the scales or my waistline. Anyway, sorry to harp on... I'm actually a happy person, believe it or not! And reading the posts on this forum has been positivly heart warming... so I guess I just want to be part of it while I tackle my weight loss. any advise would be so welcome. thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-01, 12:11

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

You have nothing to be afraid of! I have found this diet to be practically painless, except for the first couple of days when I still wanted starches. You can eat so many foods that were always low fat diet no-no's, sometimes I feel like I am cheating even though I'm not.
This is a great board.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-01, 12:24

Plan: my own
Stats: 164/125/125 Female 64
BF:

thanks Atriana... I was so excited to get my first reply! I could stay at this forum all night (it's late in Ireland), but i have to put my kids to bed... Please , if anyone has any more words of encouragement or advice... send them this way! Also... can I have one tiny cup of coffee in the morning? and is it a good or bad thing that i invested in one of those frighteningly expensive body fat monitor scales? thanks... Doodle
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-01, 12:37

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Welcome to the Low Carb Club, Doodle!
You'll find all kinds of information and support on this forum. I'm sure you'll find that LC will not only help with the weight loss, but you'll feel so much better. The side effects of this WOE are wonderful.

Re the scale: It's neither good nor bad, its how you deal with it that matters Don't become a slave to the scale. And remember to take your measurements. While you may not see much movement on the scale from time to time, the inches are ususally coming off. As you lose body fat and gain lean muscle you'll weigh the same but take up less space (one lb of muscle has 1/3 the volume of 1 lb of fat)

Happy lowcarbing!
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-01, 22:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Re: I'm new. and excited .... and scared!

Hi Doodle and welcome to the board

Quote:
Originally posted by Doodle
Hi.... I am new to all of this but have been reading up about it for... well, I bought atkins new diet revolution over a year ago. I also have all the zone books and protein power etc. But up until now it has really only been bedtime reading (as I munched on my popcorn - yikes!). Anyway... I really really want to give it a go.

Hey, I understand how you feel, I read books for 3 months before trying Atkins. The fear of failure (yet again) and the prospect of cooking/eating out without being able to have breads, pasta, rice etc was daunting to me. I really couldn't imagine how to do it but to my amazement living a LC lifestyle is actually easy.

I hope you just jump in and do it! Both Atkins and Protein Power are excellent programs. Tomorrow I will restart Atkins Induction and will start a Journal. *I need to be accountable somewhere for what I'm doing* LOL.

I've got a lot of admiration for the folks who have been journalling for months, sharing their successes & slips with the other members. Browse around the site using the orange tool bar at the top, you'll find lots of good information.

Let us know which program you choose and happy lowcarbing.

Ruth
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-01, 14:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/178/120
BF:
Progress: 15%

I'm new too, my first day today, and so far so good. I can't belive I can cook my omelet in butter, have mayo on my salad, fry mushrooms in olive oil to go with my evening meal and still lose weight. I'm so scared to put even more on after being told fat is BAD for so long. I don't dare get on the scales again...
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-01, 14:23

Plan: LC
Stats: 193/159.9/125 Female 158
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi Doodle,

Good luck with your low carb diet, you will find it easier than any other diet you've tried before. I've been on and off the atkins diet for the last 5 months, I've lost 40 pounds, and have anther 15 to go. And restarted the induction plan today.

good luck again,

maggie
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-01, 15:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

welcome aboard doodle! another member from across the pond! good luck lowcarbing! we're all on this journey together!