Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-10, 15:18

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb34
ok, I MUST do this! My sister just boiled a dozen eggs and I can't eat them because of the rubberiness. I'll have to get my own eggs and steam them and we'll do a comparison of the whites...I fully expect to WIN!

I live at 5500 feet and my extra large eggs, coming straight out of the fridge, took 13 1/2 minutes. 15 minutes was too long.

I don't know why but they've been easier to peel too.

Remember to cool them in cold water immediately too. Otherwise they'll keep cooking in the residual heat.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-10, 15:21

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

I live at 42 feet above sea level. What would be an optimum cooking time for soft eggs? I've never done soft-boiled(steamed) eggs successfully.

also, since steam is hotter than boiling water, maybe at high altidudes, steam would cook the eggs faster than boiling:
Quote:
Steam at 100 deg burns so much more intensely than water at 100 deg because of the law of heat exchange. At 100 deg, water needs to release only 1 calorie (unit of heat measurement) per gram to drop one degree. Steam at 100 deg OTOH, cannot drop one degree without reverting back to water. In order to do, it changes its state (gaseous to liquid) and needs to shed 540 calories per gram.

Last edited by deb34 : Tue, Nov-16-10 at 15:29.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-10, 16:41

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Deb, I'm at sea-level, or very, very close to it. For my taste, the white is set just enough and the yolk is still runny, at 6-1/2 minutes. You may have to experiment a bit to find the perfect time for your taste, but that gives you a starting point.

ETA: Oh, and that is eggs straight from the fridge or no more than 2 or 3 minutes at room temp.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-10, 16:48

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

My husband and I eat hardboiled eggs almost every morning. I am definitely going to try the steamer technique tomorrow.

I like my eggs with very soft but not runny yolks, and a little Boursin type cheese mixed in.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-10, 07:53

Quote:
the white is set just enough and the yolk is still runny, at 6-1/2 minutes.

thanks GlendaRC, this is exactly what I'm aiming for...I love my yolks runny.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-10, 13:44

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I lovvvvvvvvvvve hard boiled eggs, so I wasn't sure steaming them would make them any better. But the whites are even nicer this way.

I steamed them for about 9 minutes; next time I will try 7 1/2.....I'd like the yolks a little softer.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-10, 11:06
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaRC
Nancy, that works well also and has been used for years, but if you're not right on top of it, the eggs can boil for awhile before you shut the heat off and that's what turns the whites rubbery.

This worked fine for me when I had a digital thermometer that beeped at the right temperature. I'd set it to 180 and walk away. It died, though, and I never replaced it. So I tried the steaming method and I love it! Thanks for the tip.

I made 3 soft cooked eggs and they took 7 minutes. The outer yolk was firm and runny in the middle, just how I like them.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-10, 15:38

I love eggs like this now! The egg white is so tender instead of rubbery that I crave SB eggs now! I just have to get my timing better as the yolks still aren't as runny as l like them.

I'm going to try a 5 minute egg and see how it goes. If the whites aren't cooked enough, I can always finish it in little frying pan...