Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-09, 18:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress:

I'm glad to see people trying these! I've found they're best when I use less oil; too much oil makes them less crispy.

They also keep well in the fridge in a plastic bag or container for a couple of days, so you can roast a lot and keep on hand as a snack.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-09, 07:53

Plan: Atkins maint
Stats: 200/125/125 Female 5'3
BF:not fat anymore!
Progress: 100%

Sylvie I am sorry I did not give you credit for these I never saw your post until someone mentioned it here! I saw another post and am wondering now if it was not on another board..(embarassed) anyway thank you none the less this is a fantastic idea and I am grateful!
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 20:47

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Well, I made a small tester batch a few days ago. I liked them, but I thought that even the small veins in the leaves were tough and unchewable ... then, after a day on the counter, they had crisped up more! The flavour is super if you like greens. I leave them on the counter so we can grab a leaf on our way by!

My daughter and SIL taught and lived among the First Nations People for 4 years on the north coast of BC ... these are very reminiscent of the sun-dried seaweed that is a special treat for feasts! I think, for many, they might be an acquired taste, but DH and I are instant fans! I think our DD and DSIL will agree when I introduce them in a week or so!!

Many thanks to both of you, both for bringing this back to our attention and for coming up with the idea in the first place!!!

Last edited by glendarc : Thu, Mar-12-09 at 20:52. Reason: to add content
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-09, 13:25

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

I was shopping at a health food store and they actually had some packaged - different flavors. They looked yummy but seemed like they may be too salty. I bought some purple kale instead. I think they were dehydrated rather than baked - they were in the "raw" section. They seemed crunchier.

Have a good one!
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-09, 14:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress:

You can trim the chewy, fibrous stem off the leaves and just use the leaves (save the stems for soup or broth). I've tried both ways and like them better with just the leaves, but they do roast quickly so you need to watch them so they don't burn.

I got some black Indian sesame seed from Penzey's and it's so good with these! I sprinkle on the kale while it's roasting to bring out the toasty flavor.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 12:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I finally got around to trying these and... I must say... I didn't care for them. They did have a nice pleasing crunch but the kale flavor is not so good IMHO. And they leave a lot of fiber behind in your mouth.