Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 22:04
Registered Member

Plan: pregnancy modified
Stats: 250/250/170 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default new girl, could use some support

Hello Everyone,

Im new here so let me introduce myself. I am married, have a 3 yr old and am 9 weeks pregnant tomorrow. I have had great success in the past with low carb dieting, but then went on vacation 2 mo. ago, ate like i was on vacation and gained 20bs in about a week, got pregnant and never went back to my low carb diet, ya know, for fear that low carbs would be bad for the baby. However, I feel HORRIBLE eating all this junk, and after reading about all the successful low(ish) carb pregnancies here, I am willing to try it for myself. One thing i have noticed, I seem to get very depressed when i start eating sugar/white flour again. Its very addicting, but it makes me break out horribly, and sends me into the lowest moods, its kinda scary. Now before vacation 2 mo. ago I had gotten down to my lowest weight in several years, and bought a whole new sz 16 wardrobe. As you can imagine, 20lbs later I cant even squeeze my way into those clothes. ugh!

Anyway, so far i've had some yucky morning sickness, but all those carbs i've been eating haven't "settled" my stomach one little bit. So I figure its worth a shot to see how I feel doing low carb. Pre-pregnancy I feel fantastic doing low-carb, better skin, more energy, not depressed...so maybe that will help....

More than anything I need support and friendship. I am feeling pretty depressed and lonely lately - my hubby has been in Iraq for almost 11 monthes (i got pregnant when he was home on leave) and wont be home for 4 more. Also, my best friend, who ive known for 10 yrs just moved last week, across country, and already I feel lost without her. I dont really have other friends here, since we've only lived here about a year. Soooo, yes, im looking for low-carb support, but some friends too.

My plan for now is to come up with some sort of menu, previously ive had the best results with very low carbs (20-30g per day) but im going to try about 70 and see how that is for a week or two, then go from there. I have no plans to limit calories, and the carbs I do eat will be mainly veggies and berries.

Well, I guess I'm long winded, lol. Thats enough for now. Its great to be here, and I can't wait to meet you all.

NewJeans
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 22:49

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Welcome!

Since you're pregnant, I think I'd focus on healthy foods- eliminating the heaviest carb stuff (flours and sugars) and emphasizing high protein and high fat foods (such as meats, eggs, cheese, and nuts) and include moderate-carb foods (berries, winter squashes, and maybe beans) in moderation.

If you're currently eating a lot of carbs, I wouldn't cut back too quickly, as your body might have a hard time adjusting. I think it might be safer to slowly reduce your carbs over the course of a week or two.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 06:55
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi NewJeans! Welcome, hon and congrats on your pregnancy. I did a mix 'n match of LC and HC during my pregnancy...the HC part was more weakness and craving. However the LC was actually in the very beginning, first trimester, and I think it helped me feel great.

Ruthla is right...don't go changing things on yourself too fast, but just shift to things that provide good sources of fat and protein that you like and your body responds to (because that is what babies need most). Drink lots of water, take your multis, and post here often.

I need to run to take care of my "new" LO (3 1/2 months old) but we're all here for you! Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 10:26
Registered Member

Plan: pregnancy modified
Stats: 250/250/170 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thank you ladies, for that warm welcome and good advice. Yes, I don't want to change things to quickly and be harder on my body than I need to be. So I will do my best to ease back into LC. I went shopping over the weekend and have lots of LC foods. So here I go............