Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 08:42

Plan: I haven't chosen
Stats: 152/152/132 Female 5 11
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Yeast problems

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]
I have had such a miserable time with yeast infections my entire life. I Have gone to the doctor and they have completely dismissed my concerns because I only had a speck of yeast to show up on the slide or none at all. I ahve used terazol, micanazole, diflucan, with no relief-only temporary. I am starting this week on the atkins diet because I feel like my current diet-a lot of sweets-contribute to my problem. I also bought some primal defense to helpbattle the yeast. What do I need to take as far as supplements that will contine to battle this problem. I am completely new to this so be specific. Please help. I am sick of this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 13:37

Plan: atkins, paleo, vlc
Stats: 186/186/154 Female 60inches
BF:o/m/g
Progress: 0%
Default been lo-carb since summer 2001

and it rapidly cured my bloating and irritable bowell symptoms. But I'm still new to the idea of yeast infection, though I certainly seem to have some of the indications.
I think cutting wheat products helped a lot--now I get stomach cramps if I eat bread.
I think Atkins is great and I'll be low carb for the rest of my life, if only because I never realised how badly I felt until I started feeling good... if that makes sense.
I'd advise you to go for it.
My only problems were a couple of bad bouts of constipation. The first was the week I started, as my body adjusted, and the other two were before I finally worked out that binging on nuts did it.
Now I eat ground flax seed for breakfast, grind them myself in coffee grinder, and the fibre in that is enough to keep everything regular.
Zan
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 18:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/182.5/140 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

read the threads that are going on about oil of oregano. I started taking this a few days ago and you just may feel a little sick at first. I personally was a bit nauseous. This will kill the yeast. Also, add a probiotic to up your good bacteria. A lacto, bifo blend is what I'm taking.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 10:01

BF:
Progress:
Default yeast problems

Thanks for the quick reply. I found this website by chance. Maybe I can find a little help. I have tried eating the indulgence bars-sugar free-2 carbs-as a snack. I eat 2 a day and I know I need to cut down to one but it is sooo hard.
I will look for some oil of oregeno today.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 10:29

Plan: syndromeX
Stats: 231/220/150 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 14%

I've read on some candida sites that Artificial sweetners may act the same as reg sugar on the yeast so if you don't get relief with the pills, then you may want to stop with the bars. The only sweetner they suggest is Stevia. FWIW.........
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 14:33

BF:
Progress:
Default reply to karen lynn

Thanks for the info. I also drink a diet mountain dew eveeryday-I wonder if this contributes to my problem? I know ifI drink a regular drink like pepsi I will get an infection pronto!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 22:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

There could be a million reasons for your candida infection so I'll start with my own experiences and maybe others will gives theirs - this may have the effect of making a lightbulb go off in your head about you and your body.
My estrogen is SUPER DUPER high because I am having premature menopause (due to surgeries). Instead of having a mild, normal walk into menopause I am having a raging - all at once kind where my estradiol, FSH and other deliriously high female hormones are pumping out into my blood stream at the speed of light. This has so many effects on my fungal that I won't go into it.
My other problem is my THYROID. I have a hereditary condition combined with my estrogen further depressing the function of the thyroid. A sluggish thyroid will leave you with a sluggish gut and a PERFECT environment for further fungal growth.

Oil of Oregano
Heard something of coconut oil
Olive leaf extract

Acidophilus pills (refrigerated kind are really good).

Lots of water

No sugar and I only ingest the following sugar alcohols if I am going to eat any:
Inulin and Erythritol.

I don't seem to have a problem with splenda either.

Yup, cut back on those delicious bars (my weakness too) or cut them out for a few weeks until you feel better.

Beauty of getting on top of fungal infection is the buggers have a harder time growing and turning full fungal the next time - starving them back to their spore stage is a beautiful thing

Jeannie