Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 12:26

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Haven't heard much from the SAD folks,

this year. How is everyone doing? Other than the Vit D folks, that is.

Anyone out there or is everyone in a slump? Too much trouble to type? I know, I know all about it.

But this year I feel much better. Thanks partly to the Vit D camp; and partly to my light. I actually have been disciplined enough to use it every day for a week and the two things have made all the difference. Also, I am on the mend for adrenal fatigue and that may be helping too.

I actually have been singing the last couple of days. I used to sing all the time, but haven't uttered a note in at least two years. It's amazing. Now if I can just get the diet in order, I'll be all set!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-05, 02:56

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

Wow, Quietone, you and I seem to have alot in common. EVerywhere in this forum that I learn something important, there you are, either learning or assisting. I think I'll just follow you around-LOL- is that lurking? I do have SAD and after being stalled since Oct. I am just starting to lose again this week. The sun has been showing it's face lately. It's really bad here in the Pacific Northwest. Not only is there the cloud cover, but the sun sets at 4! But, it's almost over for awhile..big sigh..--Gail
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 15:55

You're not a 40-something, Pisces, are you?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 19:43

BF:

I'm a 52 yo I don't know what, cause I don't do astrology. I am just learning about adrenal failure about the time that I found this forum. One thing about SAD that I found out a couple of years ago is that even if it's overcast, going outside will give a person enough of what they need to alleviate the symptoms. Since I live where gardening never stops, the PNW, I started going outside every day and it really made a difference. But that was last year and the year before. I think the days were darker this last year because I just couldn't get myself out there for anything. I'm going to look into the Vit. D thing. I just saw that thread and mean to follow it up. It surprised me because I had always heard that D was one of the vitamins people had to be careful not to over do.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 19:49

Well, I have also dealt with adrenal fatigue. But considering the amount of stress I have had in my life the last year, it was no surprise.

The naturopath told me what to take and I did. And a few other things to do, and I did and have felt much better since. I diidn't even go pick up another bottle of the bovine adrenal because I felt so much better!

I learned my astro sign back in the 70's when it was "in" and have never forgotten it. Mostly because it described me so well!

But I do wonder if there are more fibro suffers and SAD suffers among the more emotional of us. Men are not as apt to get either, but my DH has both, and he is an extremely emotional man.

Sometimes, I feel like I just sit around and theorize all day about this stuff. It doesn't help that there are no concrete answers as there are in other health problems.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 12:40

BF:

I think women's hormones and immune systems are more delicate. There's that mattter of carrying and caring for "foreign matter" for 9 months without the body rejecting it. A feat of ingenuity! But more can go wrong. My theory, very simplistic, I know. Another thing I ponder: is the idea of substances (like wheat) that may be causing problems but not immediate enough to track down. If wheat causes leaky gut syndrome in a high percentage of people (which is what I've read) and leaky gut syndrome causes mutliple allergies, then what results is someone whose system is on medical alert mode all the time. We do tend to sit around and theorize all day if we're sick all day and motivated to find relief. It all seems like shadow boxing until we hit the answer or answers. I hope to hit on a solution soon, because I've got things to do and places to go!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 12:55

If I understand your question, then the results would be most of the autoimmune diseases (of which fibro and CFS can be included). It is a scientific fact that until the advent of agriculture there were no known autoimmune diseases.

I am just re-reading more on the paleo diet. I keep trying to cheat and it makes me feel really bad so I am trying to get more inspiration. Interestingly, I have had a couple of the girls here at the school tell me that they have been cheating a lot lately too.

One of the things that I find the most upsetting is this: any large clinic/hospital/school could afford to do a very large study on this one issue. But they won't because the food industry and the drug industry wouldn't like the possible outcome and wouldn't give them any $$ for it.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 12:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 319/298/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

I recently bought a full-sprectrum light. I have severe depression and it gets worse in the winter.

I've had it a week and I do notice an improvement. I am not so exhausted. But the light hurts my eyes - I've always been sensitive to light.