Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-13-04, 16:40

Plan: SBD
Stats: 221/172/180 Male 69"
BF:
Progress: 120%
Default Gain weight on phase 1

I have been on phase one for 2 weeks (today is the first day of phase 2). I lost about 10 pounds in about 9 days, then I started going in the opposite direction. I put on about 4 pounds, so overall for the 2 weeks of phase 1 I'm down 6 pounds, not bad, but I can't explain gaining the 4 pounds. Additionally the last week I kicked up the excersice. I did the nordic track twice, lifted weights, and ran about 1.5 miles.

Kinda outside of the diet, but it was the first time I had lifted weights in about 6 months, so I was pretty sore. Does lifting weights cause your muscles to retain more water? That's the only explanation I have for gaining the weight, cause I didn't cheat one bit.

Oh well, I'm on phase 2 now and have 11 pounds to go!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-13-04, 17:59
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Yes weight lifting does cause muscles to retain more water. If you continue it you will also gain muscle weight. This is a good thing though as a higher lean mass means higher metabolism, less cellulite and so on.

I'd say PMs, but I don't htink that's a problem for you If you had a diet that was lower in protien before then your body may be using what it is getting now to repair muscle damage. Since you are a guy you will gain muscle mass easier and lose fat a bit easier then if you had more estrogen.

On a side note be sure to only work a body area every other day. When you lift you tear up muscles. It is during the rest period they repair and grow larger. It also helps prevent injury.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-13-04, 19:27

Plan: SBD
Stats: 221/172/180 Male 69"
BF:
Progress: 120%

yeah, I used to be into weight lifting a lot, so I know about how to work out, and the higher metabolism and more lean muscle, but never noticed the weight gain from water, but back then I didn't care.