Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 11:44

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thats what I thought. Its probably more properly called a butter, since its solid at room temp. Although you can get coconut oil that melts at a couple of different temps.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 16:17

Plan: Mod Carbs.1200-1600 cals
Stats: 148/185/120 Female 5"2 or 159cm
BF:
Progress: -132%
Lightbulb Im experimenting.

You are all welcome. This choclate has been such lifesaver for me, lol, I'd cheat like crazy some days if it wasnt for these... really!
Im glad you all liked them.

By coconut butter I really meant the oil... same thing.
I would also think that you could add some protein powder or almond flour to make it a little firmer at room temp.
I havent tried that yet, but Ill get back to you to tell how it turned out.

Im now experimenting with all kinds of choclate recepies. Im making all kinds of truffles, brownies, cakes and cookies.
They will all be very LC, simple and Oh so yummy. I will also post very nice pictures of them...

To be continued...

Last edited by Da Rosa : Fri, Sep-10-04 at 16:49.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 19:35

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 258/223/??? Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Interesting, I've been experimenting with LC chocolate this week. One thing I've been trying to do is to not use cream, because I've been reading that milk reduces the healthy stuff in chocolate (and tea. Darnit. I like milk in both!).

Erythritol (the "best" of the sugar alcohols) makes it a LOT LOT LOT better than Splenda alone! And I finally settled on peanut butter for creaminess. So the basic "recipe" is

Unsweetened chocolate (I've been using one rectangle of Sharfenberger (sp), which is probably 1.5 oz. or so), with about an equal amount of smooth peanut butter or a little more, 2 T powdered erythritol, a few drops of liquid Splenda, a little salt and a splash of vanilla. To make a more truffle effect, I stir in hazelnut meal (I get it at Trader Joes. I'm sure almond meal would be just as good), and then roll them in balls and roll the balls in more hazelnut meal. Yum!

My husband wants me to add rum, but I told him to wait until Christmas!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 22:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydor
Yes, or to use as a toping or in milk....

A topping is fairly easy - just make a loose ganache (truffle). Milk is easy too, just a looser ganache with lecithin to help it emulsify.

But bar chocolate, chocolate with a nice crisp snap and shine at room temperature, that's complicated business. For that you will need:

a. Food grade cocoa butter (to compensate for the lack of cocoa butter in unsweetened chocolate)
b. Dried cream (or dried milk which is more carby)
c. A powdered sweetener that dissolves easily (cross off granular erythritol).
d. A good knowledge of tempering.

Depending on the temperature chocolate is melted/cooled it, the cocoa butter can form any off about 5 different crystals. Only one of these crystals gives you the right snap, texture, sheen of bar chocolate. Tempering, by control these melting/cooling temps to within a few degrees, creates exactly the right crystal formulation for bar chocolate. Without tempering you won't have snap/sheen. Some people freeze ganache to make something snappable, but I think that's a poor excuse for eating chocolate.

Bar/eating chocolate also has to be liquid free. The less liquid you add to melted chocolate the more likely it will seize. In other words, if you melt 2 oz. of chocolate and add 1 oz. of water, you should be okay. But a drop of water and your chocolate will be a disgusting mess.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-04, 09:20
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The best place I've found for coconut oil and coconut products is www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com they have a wonderful virgin oil, and they have an unsweetened dried coconut that tastes just like candy. It's nothing like the dried tastless stuff you can get at the stores.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 10:11

BF:

Update on my chcolate makiing trials.

First, I made a batch and it flopped, I'm not positive why. Might have been too little cream (almost out), or it might have been the pinch of salt I added (never used it before). In any case, the stuff never came together, and the oil separated from the rest to a large degree.

Also tried a batch with some cocoa butter, I only used maybe 10% and it didn't make as much difference as I'd hoped. Not going to keep using it since it is expensive.

What did help, was I squirted in a caplet's worth of lecithin into a batch. I had the lecithin because I was taking it as a supplement at one point. Anyway, it is an emulsifier (helps oil and water mix together better) and it made the chocolate more creamy. Might have been a touch more melty, but it was worth it. Anyway, I don't think the lecithin caplets were real expensive, so I'd recommend this additive in your chocolate if you have any problems getting it to blend.

Made a batch with walnuts, and another with almonds. Both were excellent. Read where coconut oil has some beneficial properties, that is super because I do love this chocolate. My wife and I both like the taste much better than the sugar-free chocolate.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 11:16

Plan: My Own
Stats: 200/180/175 Male 5'11.5"
BF:sz36/sz31/sz30
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
The best place I've found for coconut oil and coconut products is www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com they have a wonderful virgin oil, and they have an unsweetened dried coconut that tastes just like candy. It's nothing like the dried tastless stuff you can get at the stores.

I wonder how tough it be to turn this in to a mounds bar... man I miss them! Assuming I can succesffly make a batch of this cholate, could mix the cocountu shavings in.... wonder if that be close enough...
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 10:25

BF:

You might try to make little balls of coconut with some sweetener and a little oil to make it stick together, and then pour this chocolate over them and freeze. Just throwing in coconut would be good though.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 23:08

Stats: 304/239.5/160 Female 68 inches
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 45%

for.. mounds/almond joy
egg white, Splenda, and coconut flakes, mix with hands,, bake in oven... add a toasted almond if you can have nuts,
350 degrees for 10 minutes,, they burn fast when they are done.. so watch.... i mix the whites (dont makes frothy or stiff, just mix).. 3 egg whites, 12 oz coconut, 3/4 C. Splenda.. I dont know what chocolate to melt on.. i was using regular milk chocolate chips when i made this before
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 19:50

Plan: My Own
Stats: 200/180/175 Male 5'11.5"
BF:sz36/sz31/sz30
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianna9234
for.. mounds/almond joy
egg white, Splenda, and coconut flakes, mix with hands,, bake in oven... add a toasted almond if you can have nuts,
350 degrees for 10 minutes,, they burn fast when they are done.. so watch.... i mix the whites (dont makes frothy or stiff, just mix).. 3 egg whites, 12 oz coconut, 3/4 C. Splenda.. I dont know what chocolate to melt on.. i was using regular milk chocolate chips when i made this before

I have "unsweetened" chololate from Nestle I could use, or I could try the LC choloate from above if I can ever get that recipe right.

Di dyou melt the chocolate and then pout it over teh coconut mess, or... ?
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-04, 09:16

BF:

OK, I made a significant breakthrough in my chocolate recipe last night. First, I added somewhat less chocolate than I've been using (I eyeball everything so I cannot speak about exact amounts), which made the product come out less bitter.

Second and more important, my wife had purchased some peanut butter flavoring from a shop that sells candy making supplies. The stuff smells exactly like peanut butter. Well, I added maybe 1/4 tsp to a large batch of chocolate, and although I really didn't detect the flavor of peanuts, the chocolate was the best I've ever made. My wife said she could just detect some peanut. It really seemed to take the edge off the bitter chocolate.

I made a bar that was 5"x5" and nearly an inch thick. I have some in my lunch box, can't wait for it to be noon.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-04, 18:47

i used a baggie.. and cut a small tip out of one of the corners.. and zig-zagged over the top of the "bars"... i find i can taste the coconut better.. and it doesnt need ALL that totally covered chocolate..
by the way.. i dont think i wrote in there.. before baking.. make them in to little 'mounds' or candy pieces before baking.. then use the chocolate after baking...
sorry
dianna9234
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-04, 18:50

p.s. i was going to try and use the LC chocolate bars from the store this year.. and see if they melt to a 'pouring' stage.
dianna