Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 16:03

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 155/137/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 72%
Thumbs up

This was heavenly! REALLY like ice cream. Thank you. I used fine sea salt I had in the cupbard.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 17:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default ice cream

Glad you enjoyed your ice cream treat, who wouldn't in this weather. I'm sure Toronto is melting away!

What flavour did you make?? Now I'm craving ice cream, but who wouldn't crave something cold in this weather.

Last edited by Sharon : Thu, Aug-09-01 at 05:13.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 17:35

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 155/137/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

You bet I enjoyed it especially on a day like this...current temperature in Toronto 34C!

I made vanilla flavor...it's all I had in the cupbard. I'd love to hear from others who've enjoyed this treat in other flavors. What are their secret receipes?? I read the one post about maple and walnuts...I think I'll try that one next...maybe in a week or so...I don't want to go overboard on the stuff. It's still about the occassional treat. Before I lost the weight I'd treat myself EVERY night...a very bad habit to start!

Kelley
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 21:26

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%
Thumbs up

I used to make this before I got my ice cream maker. It really is good. I just used regular table salt, but I highly suggest wearing gloves so your hands don't freeze, it gets really cold!!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-01, 01:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
a very bad habit to start!

I don't think you have to worry about baggie ice cream becoming a bad habit. I found it so tedious to make that I have only made it once!

Karen
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-01, 05:14

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default tedious work

Yes, I agree Karen.....but that's probably good though...cause as you said, hard to make it a habit then!!
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 10:38
Registered Member

Stats: 289/277/155
BF:
Progress: 9%

Oh this sounds heavenly.....I'm gonna go get the items to make it and try it out tomorrow...thanks so much for sharing this idea!!
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 18:19

Stats: 246/198/180
BF:?/35.2/31
Progress: 73%

WEll, its dec 1, and I am trying this out! CALL IT BOREDOM. I guess its not too terribly cold outside... 55 degrees. Not bad for Florida.

But brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... I am in mid shake and boy are my hands frozen! YIKES!

Can't wait to taste... I am making mint flavored!
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 18:34

Stats: 246/198/180
BF:?/35.2/31
Progress: 73%

not enough splenda... and too long in the freezer baggie... but YUM YUM YUM! Still great!
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 23:19

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%
Default ice cream!

mmm, mmm! This is my favorite ice cream, bar none. Better than any store bought ice cream I'd say. I made it this way before I got my ice cream maker, then tried to use the same cream recipe in the maker. Oh man, it turned into frozen butter!! I finally learned to substitute some half-n-half.

my favorite flavors:
vanilla (especially w/ vanilla bean!)
coconut (use coconut extract)
pina colada (coconut & pineapple extract) can you tell I love coconut?!
raspberry (make puree and strain out seeds)
strawberry is always a favorite w/ fresh or frozen berries
peach is heavenly when in season

I have recipes in gormet cookbooks that use a combo of spices and fruits and herbs! Can't wait to try some of them..

also I grew rather fond of making frozen yogurt. Tangy and a nice change from ice cream!

sheri
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 18:44

Plan: Atkinsish
Stats: 249/229/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Wow! Just made some and love it (yes, I did lick the bag ) I put it in a glass with diet root beer. Even better float than just adding cream.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 00:51
Registered Member

Stats: 175/153/150 Male 5' 6"
BF:26%/21%/15%
Progress: 88%
Thumbs up Science! Yummy!

I've made it this way and it turns out great...

Here are a few tidbits of info too.

-Someone earlier mentioned that salt lowers the temperature of ice. This is a bit inaccurate. What salt actually does is lowers the melting point of ice (or raises the freezing temperature of water) Why does this help? Well, when you add enough salt to a churning pile of ice you cause to the ice to "melt" a bit become more watery but still just as cold. The salt helps the ice to "melt" into a slushy state without actually raising its temperature. Because water can flow much more evenly around the container there is much more contact area than you would have with hard cubes of ice. So, the now more liqudy ice water can better contact the ice cream container and thous transfer is coldness to the ice cream more effectively.

-Any type of salt will do. (Though large bags of rock salt are cheaper than table salt but your not going to be making THAT much. Are you?)

-Put the ziplock bags (both bags) in a little flexible lunch size insulated cooler and turn and shake that for a few minutes. Its quieter and your hands wont freeze.

-After a few minutes check your ice cream. You may have to mash it (the inner baggy) up a bit in as the outer part freezes and the inner part stays liquid. You'll get a softer smother consistency.

-Try adding a bit of water to the cream mix. It will be a bit more icy consistency but you can have more!
(You can also add a little milk or half and half if you don't mind a bit more carbs)

Heavy Cream=0.8g carb per 2Tbs
Half and Half=1.0g carb per 2Tbs
Milk=1.5g carb per 2Tbs

-For French vanilla, add a bit of egg yoke (maybe 1/2 tsp per serving) If you dont like the idea of eating raw egg, (and you shouldn't) slowly heat and stir the egg/cream mixture to 160 F (71 C) to kill any salmonella. Once it reaches 160 F (71 C) quickly cool the mixture. This a lot of extra work so you might want to make a few servings at a time. Or use in-shell pasteurized eggs that are already safe.

Have fun
Ken